Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 05:56 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see, so you're a fan of balkinization. Minority cultures and languages are ok just as long as they don't start to overcome and outnumber the identifying, demographics, language and culture of any country and it's particularly offensive and unacceptable if it's done via illegal immigration.

If I want to experience other cultures I can visit those countries. No need to have them in by backyard 24/7 where one begins to feel like they are living in a foreign country. Sorry, you can't grasp that simple concept but having to make snarky remarks instead!

Minority cultures ARE American. Everything about this country is rooted from other cultures and mixed into something phenomenal. And it WILL continue to evolve, as all things. Shame you can't enjoy the ride.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:59 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
12.8% of the people in the USA speak Spanish as the main language at home.
Very small percentage- and many are bilingual. That you have to give credit for.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Minority cultures ARE American. Everything about this country is rooted from other cultures and mixed into something phenomenal. And it WILL continue to evolve, as all things. Shame you can't enjoy the ride.
This!

Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Raised in Kendall off of Miller Drive. Used to hang out at Town & Country Mall (only old school folks from Miami will know it). Went to FIU and lived on the Beach and North Treasure Island, so you know what you can do with your 'meter'.

Miami-Dade is a bilingual county and next generations speak English just fine. But you don't need to freak out if native speakers choose to speak their native language because it's MORE COMFORTABLE. My mother can easily speak English and medical English. But at home and in casual/social settings she speaks Spanish. So what? If someone were to approach her with just English, she would flip on the fly if needed. But you, Karen? You'd be that person sitting next to us a restaurant annoyed to high heaven because our table is speaking Spanish. Frustrate yourself more.
Karen? I'm a male. Keep your snarky remarks to yourself. You cannot and will not understand the flip side of the coin. Not unexpected from someone who is Hispanic. I have met far more that are arrogant than those who embrace our identifying culture and language. Makes me wonder why they are here. If I moved to a foreign country I would embrace theirs and I would speak their language out in mainstream. I couldn't care less what language one chooses to speak in their own home. The more you speak a language the more proficient you become at it. Now there's a novel idea, right?

Old 09-17-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
No, they are not! They are the cultures of foreign countries. We have an identifying culture and language of our own. We are not known to be a Hispanic, Asian, etc. country in identity. Is evolving via illegal immigration a desirable thing to you? We are supposed to be a melting pot but we aren't any more we've become a salad bowl of people who don't share common interests, cultures and languages. I guess that's great to you to? Enjoy the ride with people you have nothing in common with and can't communicate with?

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-17-2021 at 06:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Karen? I'm a male. Keep your snarky remarks to yourself. You cannot and will not understand the flip side of the coin. Not unexpected from someone who is Hispanic. I have met far more that are arrogant than those who embrace our identifying culture and language. Makes me wonder why they are here. If I moved to a foreign country I would embrace theirs and I would speak their language out in mainstream. I couldn't care less what language one chooses to speak in their own home. The more you speak a language the more proficient you become at it. Now there's a novel idea, right?
Wow. I can tell you this- if you have an attitude- you will get it back. It’s a free country and no one can tell you what to speak. Freedoms are for all. So accept it or you can move to another area where English is more common. Even the Amish can do their own thing. Ever live in PA? Guess it’s just city living you get used to everyone talking their business in their own language.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Oh, I know you're a male. 'Karen' is non-binary...

I understand the flip and I'm telling you, you don't need to be afraid because as I clearly outlined in my first post, subsequent generations tend to lose their parents' language. So you're getting exactly what you want. And I embrace American culture more than you do. I respect and honor its many nuances, and appreciate how all these influences have created a unique experiment in human evolution. I'm more of a patriot than you, because I love this country as it is.

As per the bold - thanks for supporting my argument. Second generations speak English more often, thus it becomes their predominant language. Third time stating that, hopefully it's a charm.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:12 PM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times
Quote:
Raised in Kendall off of Miller Drive. Used to hang out at Town & Country Mall (only old school folks from Miami will know it). Went to FIU and lived on the Beach and North Treasure Island, so you know what you can do with your 'meter'.

Miami-Dade is a bilingual county and next generations speak English just fine. But you don't need to freak out if native speakers choose to speak their native language because it's MORE COMFORTABLE. My mother can easily speak English and medical English. But at home and in casual/social settings she speaks Spanish. So what? If someone were to approach her with just English, she would flip on the fly if needed. But you, Karen? You'd be that person sitting next to us a restaurant annoyed to high heaven because our table is speaking Spanish. Frustrate yourself more.

you know....the real Miamians would disagree with you...the ones that were here before Castro and before Mariel

Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know you're a male. 'Karen' is non-binary...

I understand the flip and I'm telling you, you don't need to be afraid because as I clearly outlined in my first post, subsequent generations tend to lose their parents' language. So you're getting exactly what you want. And I embrace American culture more than you do. I respect and honor its many nuances, and appreciate how all these influences have created a unique experiment in human evolution. I'm more of a patriot than you, because I love this country as it is.

As per the bold - thanks for supporting my argument. Second generations speak English more often, thus it becomes their predominant language. Third time stating that, hopefully it's a charm.
I/we don't need to be afraid of the millions of invading hordes on our border right now and the millions within our borders already who mostly all speak Spanish? There are entire towns in this country where Spanish has been dominant for decades and it's mostly due to illegal immigration and their anchor babies. Spanish is still dominant in Miami to and for quite some time. Who do you think you are kidding?

Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
No, they are not! They are the cultures of foreign countries. We have an identifying culture and language of our own. Is evolving via illegal immigration a desirable thing to you? We are supposed to be a melting pot but we aren't any more we've become a salad bowl of people who don't share common interests, cultures and languages. I guess that's great to you to? Enjoy the ride with people you have nothing in common with and can't communicate with?

I can communicate with everyone in Miami. Never been an issue for me. And I don't need to have anything in common with someone to participate with them in civic life. That's weird that you want everyone to be like you. B-O-R-I-N-G. (Seriously, get that pastel de guava. It'll change your life. Happy to send you a dozen next time I visit my mom.)

And we are talking about language, not illegal immigration, which I have quite strong feelings about. My parents came here through a lot of red tape and eventually became citizens. My cousins took a decade to arrive, too. Other than refugees, asylum seekers and migrant workers, everyone should go through the same process. But again, we are talking about language, which includes the languages of LEGAL immigrants.

Our identifying culture is made up of the cultures brought over by immigrants over hundreds of years. Why don't you love the fabric of America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies