Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 09:12 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You realize you are admitting that you were not the most highly qualified for the job, right? They wanted somebody who speaks Spanish, and you don't. By definition, you are not the most qualified.
Again, I ask why would any American business need Spanish speakers when this is an English speaking country? There are other people here who's native language isn't Spanish. Should businesses require that all applicants know all of their languages to? Knowing a certain language is not a hands on qualification for any job. It's skills and education.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
No. I'm pointing out that I *WAS* the most qualified based on my knowledge of the industry and my experience with the job tasks. The fact that the U.S. government now requires its employees to communicate to naturalized immigrants in Spanish, when these immigrants were required to learn English for their citizenship, is ridiculous.

Analogy: The want someone who knows how to develop XYS products, with specific experience in XYS Version 2.2 highly desired. They also want someone who can curl his tongue. Now, there are two candidates: one who has twenty years with XYS products, and five years with Version 2.2, AND a national award for his work with 2.2. The other candidate has ten years with XYS products, none with Version 2.2 and he can curl his tongue. So he gets the job.

The first candidate was better qualified because the requirement to be able to curl one's tongue was ridiculous. So too is having to explain taxpayer-paid benefits to U.S. citizens in a foreign language instead of English.

It's just a bunch of virtue-signaling by our left-leaning government.
Well stated and I couldn't agree more!

Old 09-17-2021, 09:25 PM

218 posts, read 156,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When we purchased those states from MX, the fine print stated: these areas of the U.S. will Always remain bi-lingual.

Americans are the laziest people in the world when it comes to learning a foreign language. If you lived in Germany, you'd have to know a little Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, English. The most multi-lingual people in the world are in Europe.

Americans have the easiest language in the world to learn, Spanish, and they can't even do that! Pure laziness!
To learn any language well as an adult, including Spanish, is difficult and requires a lot of work and dedication. I'm not referring to you as I do not know you, but in my experience, many people who say Spanish is "easy," speak it abominably.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:26 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I loved it when it was a melting pot not a salad bowl and assimilation into the main culture and learning and speaking English was the norm, not so today! ...
Assimilation is still the norm. Don't know which rock you have been under. Immigrants assimilate. They always do.

Still, we can enjoy the best of every culture, and celebrate diversity. I particularly enjoy the many foods from around the world available to try ... and world music.

Don't worry, your precious American Ozzie and Harriet culture hasn't gone anywhere. You can live any way you choose. Be comfortable in your own skin and don't worry about what the rest of us are up to. Just be yourself and enjoy that.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:26 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
No. I'm pointing out that I *WAS* the most qualified based on my knowledge of the industry and my experience with the job tasks.The fact that the U.S. government now requires its employees to communicate to naturalized immigrants in Spanish, when these immigrants were required to learn English for their citizenship, is ridiculous.

Analogy: The want someone who knows how to develop XYS products, with specific experience in XYS Version 2.2 highly desired. They also want someone who can curl his tongue. Now, there are two candidates: one who has twenty years with XYS products, and five years with Version 2.2, AND a national award for his work with 2.2. The other candidate has ten years with XYS products, none with Version 2.2 and he can curl his tongue. So he gets the job.

The first candidate was better qualified because the requirement to be able to curl one's tongue was ridiculous. So too is having to explain taxpayer-paid benefits to U.S. citizens in a foreign language instead of English.

Why do you think you were the most qualified. I'm sure you didn't even know the qualifications of others. Sorry, not trying to diminish your qualifications at all. I'm just asking

Old 09-17-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I'm hardly inferior, first in my class in high school AND college, but go ahead and start off your response with an insult. (So typical for libs. Why do liberals have to smear and insult people all the time? Unless they're illegals, of course - then then defend them.) And "Karen" is a racist slap, too.

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American [/b]to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS [/b]- and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens ]in Spanish.

If Spanish immigrants were willing to learn English, and thus not prevent otherwise highly qualified Americans from getting jobs, there wouldn't be so much resentment against them. They are making it worse for Americans born here, and liberals like you are fine with that because, as we all know, liberals put immigrants ahead of Americans.
Your bolded comment makes no sense.

And just BTW, "Spanish immigrants" are immigrants from Spain. The vast majority of immigration from Spanish-speaking countries to the US is from Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, this is kind of off-topic, but back in High School I thought Spanish should be the universal language of the planet.

It's incredibly easy to learn and speak and write. It's not a nuanced language, at ALL, so it's not for wordsmiths or people who love language.

But you can make you point known in Spanish. After one year of study. Which is the opposite of English and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese).
This is an incredibly strange and ignorant post.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:48 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
I'm hardly inferior, first in my class in high school AND college, but go ahead and start off your response with an insult. (So typical for libs. Why do liberals have to smear and insult people all the time? Unless they're illegals, of course - then then defend them.) And "Karen" is a racist slap, too.

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS - and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens in Spanish.

If Spanish immigrants were willing to learn English, and thus not prevent otherwise highly qualified Americans from getting jobs, there wouldn't be so much resentment against them. They are making it worse for Americans born here, and liberals like you are fine with that because, as we all know, liberals put immigrants ahead of Americans.
No, it isn't.

Calling someone a 'Karen' is a description of an attitude a person adopts.

I've witnessed 'Karens' in each of several races.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
No. I'm pointing out that I *WAS* the most qualified based on my knowledge of the industry and my experience with the job tasks. The fact that the U.S. government now requires its employees to communicate to naturalized immigrants in Spanish, when these immigrants were required to learn English for their citizenship, is ridiculous.

You are assuming that the English proficiency required for some, but not all immigrants (there are language exceptions for people over 50) means that the immigrants retain their knowledge of the language, and is sufficient to understand complex government regulations.

From the USCIS:

Quote:
For the English portion of the naturalization test you must demonstrate an understanding of the English language, including the ability to read, write, and speak basic English.

Your ability to speak and understand English will be determined by a USCIS officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
For the reading test, you must read out loud one out of three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to read in English.
For the writing test, you must write one out of the three sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English.
Take a look at that. You get three sentences, choose one, and read it aloud. Same thing for writing. That does not mean you know English, it means you can act like a parrot for 10 minutes.

I know a tiny bit of French, German and Italian. Enough to greet somebody, talk about the weather, and get the general idea of a conversation. I probably speak each language about as well as a 4 year old, maybe not that well. Given a bit of studying and knowledge of some key words, I could probably pass the equivalent of the citizenship test.

That does not mean that I can understand complex benefits in those languages. I read laws and regulations all the time in English. It is an acquired skill. There is absolutely no way I can apply for benefits in German, much less understand how to fill out a medical form in Italian.

Your obvious dislike of immigrants causes you to ignore relevant facts. If somebody needs government benefits explained to them, they are going to be complex enough that the person is going to need a stronger proficiency than being able to parrot one out of three sentences.

You were not the best qualified for the job, despite your assertions.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:02 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS - and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens in Spanish.

Fed jobs have a lot of competition. For the GS-7 entry level position there was 470 applicants. I don’t know how many for my GS 12. I thank God I made it - but not all jobs require to be bilingual. Personally I think a Fed job needs some one who is inclusive with an attitude to serve the people. All the people the job requires you to handle. And as for Karen- if the shoe fits ? They are the only ones need to be worried about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies