Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 06:20 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you know....the real Miamians would disagree with you...the ones that were here before Castro and before Mariel

You're talking about old Cubans, the one's dying off. And "real"? Like no one else lives there...

BTW, we don't refer to ourselves as Miamians... and the county is made up of more than Cubans.

Old 09-17-2021, 06:28 PM

35,672 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
you know....the real Miamians would disagree with you...the ones that were here before Castro and before Mariel
I am a native born in Mt. Sanai. Grew up in Miami Beach. We have always been a mix as we are the gate way for tourists. I heard Spanish, English and Yiddish, but Italian and Chinese were pretty common as well. We grew in numbers in those who speak Creole, French, Portuguese, and Russian. There’s a presence I think of all countries in Miami. I am 68. I loved the mix and still do. My grandmother was born in Key West, pretty Hispanic I might add, mostly in the early years. We have had the Spanish language from our beginnings- Mexico the Spaniards and central and South America. Like they never traveled?

Old 09-17-2021, 06:54 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am a native born in Mt. Sanai. Grew up in Miami Beach. We have always been a mix as we are the gate way for tourists. I heard Spanish, English and Yiddish, but Italian and Chinese were pretty common as well. We grew in numbers in those who speak Creole, French, Portuguese, and Russian. There’s a presence I think of all countries in Miami. I am 68. I loved the mix and still do. My grandmother was born in Key West, pretty Hispanic I might add, mostly in the early years. We have had the Spanish language from our beginnings- Mexico the Spaniards and central and South America. Like they never traveled?

Excellent point about our history. It was heavily Spanish from the start and look how it's evolved with everyone else joining the party. Pretty cool...

+1

Old 09-17-2021, 07:01 PM

947 posts, read 296,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
So you fear competing in the job market because you knew there are more highly qualified candidates than you? And you want special protection to preserve the marketability your inferior credentials?

Sounds like you want to be enabled.

That is irrelevant to your fear of being unable to compete against superior job candidates. Karen’s exist everywhere.
I'm hardly inferior, first in my class in high school AND college, but go ahead and start off your response with an insult. (So typical for libs. Why do liberals have to smear and insult people all the time? Unless they're illegals, of course - then then defend them.) And "Karen" is a racist slap, too.

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS - and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens in Spanish.

If Spanish immigrants were willing to learn English, and thus not prevent otherwise highly qualified Americans from getting jobs, there wouldn't be so much resentment against them. They are making it worse for Americans born here, and liberals like you are fine with that because, as we all know, liberals put immigrants ahead of Americans.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:23 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
I think people should worry more about how freedom of speech is under attack more and more regardless what language is used.

censor

censura

zensur

la censure

censurera

审查

цензор

is all the same

Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I'm hardly inferior, first in my class in high school AND college, but go ahead and start off your response with an insult. (So typical for libs. Why do liberals have to smear and insult people all the time? Unless they're illegals, of course - then then defend them.) And "Karen" is a racist slap, too.

I would have gotten the job - I was unbelievably experienced in all the responsibilities of the job, with national awards to attest to my competence in the field - but because of the influx of Spanish-speaking immigrants, illegals included, I was not considered. They wanted an American to fill a government job that explained taxpayer-provided benefits to CITIZENS - and be able to communicate those benefits to citizens in Spanish.

If Spanish immigrants were willing to learn English, and thus not prevent otherwise highly qualified Americans from getting jobs, there wouldn't be so much resentment against them. They are making it worse for Americans born here, and liberals like you are fine with that because, as we all know, liberals put immigrants ahead of Americans.
You were not highly qualified for the job if you were missing a key required skill.

I don't put immigrants ahead of Americans, but I didn't work my tuches off to learn Spanish and French to have someone less qualified than me get a job because they claim it's racist to expect the same of them.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You were not highly qualified for the job if you were missing a key required skill.

I don't put immigrants ahead of Americans, but I didn't work my tuches off to learn Spanish and French to have someone less qualified than me get a job because they claim it's racist to expect the same of them.
No, you're missing a key issue. It is RIDICULOUS that it's a requirement in the first place!

It is beyond entitlement for Spanish-speaking people to come here, become citizens (which requires a mastery of English), and then expect the U.S. government to have its employees explain taxpayer-paid benefits to them in SPANISH. And it is wrong for the government to coddle them like this.

They moved here. They had to learn to speak English to become citizens. And now they are going to get some nice benefits, courtesy of American taxpayers, and the U.S. government shouldn't have to virtue-signal by explaining their freebies in a foreign language. They can read about the freebies IN ENGLISH.

Old 09-17-2021, 07:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Well, this is kind of off-topic, but back in High School I thought Spanish should be the universal language of the planet.

It's incredibly easy to learn and speak and write. It's not a nuanced language, at ALL, so it's not for wordsmiths or people who love language.

But you can make you point known in Spanish. After one year of study. Which is the opposite of English and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese).

Old 09-17-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, this is kind of off-topic, but back in High School I thought Spanish should be the universal language of the planet.

It's incredibly easy to learn and speak and write. It's not a nuanced language, at ALL, so it's not for wordsmiths or people who love language.

But you can make you point known in Spanish. After one year of study. Which is the opposite of English and Chinese (both Mandarin and Cantonese).
Is that why Spanish immigrants have trouble learning English, and require signs and labels in Spanish, when immigrants from France and Italy and China and elsewhere apparently have less difficulty? (At least that's what I surmise since you don't see grocery labels in French, or Italian, or Chinese.) They just never learned a complex language and only spoke a simple one all their lives?

Old 09-17-2021, 08:16 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Latinos influx into this country is large and constant. It's much cheaper for them to have children here (especially with welfare systems in place) and they greatly outnumber other races when it comes to birthrates.

Is this trend going to slow down or ramp up?
You are wrong. Also Latinos is not a race but a culture which is Spanish speaking peoples. The USA has always had a Spanish speaking presence, especially with the border regions with Mexico. The Latinos are highly diverse too and not monocultural. They can have completely different worldviews such as from Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to Ted Cruz.

Actually birth rates are declining in all cultural groups in the USA. Even in Latin America birth rates are in decline.

No the USA will never likely to be a majority spanish speaking country in the future. Nothing wrong with speaking Spanish still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies