Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 02:08 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
What do you have against Spanish?
It's hard on the ear and takes way too many syllables to say anything

House = Casa 1 vs 2
Please = Por favor 1 vs 3
Thanks = Gracias 1 vs 3

They mispronounce many letters

J sounds like an H

Jesus in Span1sh is pronounced Haysoos
Jorge in Spanish is pronounced WhoreHay

The way they butcher "ll" is criminal

Spanish is the international language of poverty.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
House = Casa 1 vs 2
Thanks = Gracias 1 vs 3
J sounds like an H

I disagree with your post. The last sentence, though, is laughable in my experience.

I learned Spanish initially working with race horses. I became conversational playing on polo teams with players from Central and South America. Hardly a low income activity.

Are some Hispanics poor? Sure. Are some Irish or German poor? Yes. Means nothing.

Old 09-19-2021, 02:22 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Well DUH. If the job requirement is to speak Spanish why would they be considered for the job?

Here we go again with the "native - born American" crap. So if someone is here and naturalized, I guess they shouldn't be allowed to get that job because they aren't "native-born"?

Also, news flash "Native Americans" didn't speak English either.

Your ignorance is astounding.
Before you call someone ignorant, you should understand what the poster is saying. The fact someone is required to speak Spanish for a managerial job is an indication that there are employees that don't speak/understand English. For a customer centric job, the requirement is because customer's can't speak/understand English. Being Native-born has nothing to do with it. The fact that someone refuses to learn the common language of a country despite, in many instances, being in this country YEARS.

Both sets of my grandparents were (legal) immigrants. And they all learned and spoke English, albeit with a heavy accent. They did revert back to their native languages when in the company of other Italians or Hungarians, which is fine with me. No one is trying to wipe out the Spanish language. But if you are in this country, at least make an effort to learn the common language and stop putting the onus on English speakers to learn Spanish.

And for heaven's sake, stop with the "Duh" and eye rolls. It makes you look childish and rude.

Old 09-19-2021, 03:12 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Not in the near future. Second- and third- generation Americans descending from Spanish-speaking immigrants pick up English, except in a few places such as right along the Mexican border. Keep in mind, though, that this "leakage" across the border is bidirectional. (Meaning, Mexican communities near the American border often have a lot of English speakers:
https://howwidelyspoken.com/how-wide...nglish-mexico/ ). In other words, the border is "blurry" in some sense.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:09 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Only a fool would believe that with the constant influx of Spanish speaking illegals into our country that English won't lose its place as the dominant and identifying language of our country. Stick your heads in the sand if you wish. Those of us who are wide awake won't.

Old 09-19-2021, 04:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post

House = Casa 1 vs 2
Thanks = Gracias 1 vs 3

J sounds like an H

Your objection to Spanish as a different language is ... that it is a different language.

You have posted one of the most ignorant posts to grace this forum. Congratulations.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:03 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I disagree with your post. The last sentence, though, is laughable in my experience.
The 2 richest countries in the western hemisphere are predominantly English-speaking.

Educational standards have fallen in the United States as more Spanish speakers have infiltrated this country.

Is this any coincidence?

Old 09-19-2021, 06:25 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanketties View Post
We don’t use the term LatinX, it’s an invented term by narrow minded white liberals. Try using that term in the Hispanic community and they would look at you as though you are an ignoramous.

We should swap white liberals for conservative Hispanics, now that would be a wonderful policy.
I've asked a few about that down here in Texas. The younger fold--Generation Z--seem to be adopting it. The older Latinos are WTF about it.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:31 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Spanish was the first European language spoken in this territory - so maybe now going full circle?

Old 09-19-2021, 06:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 3,787,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The 2 richest countries in the western hemisphere are predominantly English-speaking.

Educational standards have fallen in the United States as more Spanish speakers have infiltrated this country.

Is this any coincidence?
Educational outcomes have fallen for many reasons. Having bilingual people is low on a weighted list of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies