Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
Let's not hear them. It's off topic. The point seems to be that there are countries out there that have single official languages. The US is not one of them.
It’s also false information but related to the topic.

I agree that the U.S. is not one of them. Neither are there “a lot of African countries” that are monolingual.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:00 PM

141 posts, read 48,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
It’s also false information but related to the topic.

I agree that the U.S. is not one of them. Neither are there “a lot of African countries” that are monolingual.
I suppose it depends on whether he was referring to official languages or not. There's a lot of African countries that have one official language.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:10 PM

303 posts, read 128,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
There's actually countries where people only speak one language. A lot of African countries for example.

We're fortunate in the US where we learn multiple languages in school.
Huh? I'm struggling to think of a single African country where only one language is spoken. Most African countries have tremendous linguistic diversity.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:11 PM

141 posts, read 48,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_of_Hull View Post
Huh? I'm struggling to think of a single African country where only one language is spoken. Most African countries have tremendous linguistic diversity.
It helps to read the thread. There's one (maybe two) that have been identified. I think the poster meant one official language... not one spoken language.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:15 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
I suppose it depends on whether he was referring to official languages or not. There's a lot of African countries that have one official language.
He said monolingual and he gave his definition:

Quote:
Saint Helena - Everyone speaks English and there's no other widely spoken language.
That does not describe the majority of African nations.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:22 PM

303 posts, read 128,502 times
Quote:
It helps to read the thread. There's one (maybe two) that have been identified. I think the poster meant one official language... not one spoken language.
Yeah, fair enough. I usually read to the end of the thread before commenting, but as soon as I saw that comment I could stop myself from commenting as it was such a bizarre comment - I should have assumed that someone else would have commented on it as well though.

Even if he did mean one official language (which doesn't seem to be the case from reading the comment) it was still a strange comment because most African countries have multiple official languages, and those that don't tend to be the most linguistically diverse, where the official language is either English or French and is spoken as the native language only by a very small proportion of the country.

Anyway, getting back to the main point of the thread...

Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM

1,719 posts, read 732,477 times
Quote:
Sure. You see the same from Latinos who come here on visas as well.
How's that?

Old 09-19-2021, 09:54 PM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Latinos influx into this country is large and constant. It's much cheaper for them to have children here (especially with welfare systems in place) and they greatly outnumber other races when it comes to birthrates.

Is this trend going to slow down or ramp up?
Why are you concerned about this?

Old 09-19-2021, 09:55 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Is the language the problem (which often is not retained beyond a couple gdnerations) or the hue?

Old 09-20-2021, 12:06 AM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I disagree with your post. The last sentence, though, is laughable in my experience.

I learned Spanish initially working with race horses. I became conversational playing on polo teams with players from Central and South America. Hardly a low income activity.

Are some Hispanics poor? Sure. Are some Irish or German poor? Yes. Means nothing.
Your experience is nil, as evidenced by your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies