Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 12:39 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Never going to happen. The children and grandchildren of "Latino" immigrants do NOT speak Spanish. There is no generational transfer of the Spanish language in the United States.
I have to think you've never been to greater Miami or some Texas and Arizona border towns

Old 03-03-2022, 12:39 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
I can’t answer OP’s question. That said Hispanics have been here since the late 1400’s, Spanish the first European language spoken in the New Word, and mostly still is.
Doesn't matter. We as the U.S. adopted English as our national de facto language not Spanish. The only reason we have so many Spanish speakers in our country is because of massive illegal immigration.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:41 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Doesn't matter. We as the U.S. adopted English as our national de facto language not Spanish. The only reason we have so many Spanish speakers in our country is because of massive illegal immigration.
No you have a part of Mexican heritage from the git go in very large states. California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico -hmm wonder why it was called that huh ? The Cubans and now Central/ South Americans are in large cities, and have been in New York, DC, and Florida.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:43 PM

3,854 posts, read 2,230,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I have to think you've never been to greater Miami or some Texas and Arizona border towns
My family is from Texas!

"Latino" immigrants speak Spanish, not the native-born. Texas is full of English-speaking Mexicans.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
That's a politically fabricated bull**** bureaucratic label. I wish they would get rid of both "hispanic" and "non-hispanic" labels. Nothing about it is real. The people labeled "hispanic" don't even speak Spanish half the time.

Something like 80% of Puerto-Rican Americans don't speak Spanish at all.
You could have fooled me living in So. Calif. I hear Hispanics speaking Spanish all the time. In fact it's the norm not the exception. They don't all look like they just crossed the border either and they are speaking Spanish to their kids to, not English.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:45 PM

1,352 posts, read 475,128 times
There happen to be at least 18 Hispanic countries sharing a twofold continental landmass with the United States whom millions have already traversed to enter this country. Forty two million people from Latin America have expressed a desire to relocate here. If you combine those numbers with the illegal population of probably 30 million at least with the current 65 million residing here the number of Hispanics residing in the USA balloons up to 167 million people. For perspective there's 264 million non Hispanics in the US as of 2017. You're looking at rapid ethno-cultural transformations that would only be compounded further by the birth rate of their women and influx of even more over the coming decades.

Personally, I say let the relatively well off nations of Central and South America like Chile and Panama accept them. The United States doesn't need to be continuously inundated with population growth in some bizarre contest to see if we can reach India or China's size.

Old 03-03-2022, 12:51 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
My family is from Texas!

"Latino" immigrants speak Spanish, not the native-born. Texas is full of English-speaking Mexicans.
Yeah I realize but my point is it's possible and it has happened that an area is so dominated by Spanish that there is no need to learn English. This has happened in Doral and other towns, the kids don't learn english because everything at the school is in Spanish

I don't think it's going to be widespread like that but it's going to happen in clusters

Old 03-03-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
There happen to be at least 18 Hispanic countries sharing a twofold continental landmass with the United States whom millions have already traversed to enter this country. Forty two million people from Latin America have expressed a desire to relocate here. If you combine those numbers with the illegal population of probably 30 million at least with the current 65 million residing here the number of Hispanics residing in the USA balloons up to 167 million people. For perspective there's 264 million non Hispanics in the US as of 2017. You're looking at rapid ethno-cultural transformations that would only be compounded further by the birth rate of their women and influx of even more over the coming decades.

Personally, I say let the relatively well off nations of Central and South America like Chile and Panama accept them. The United States doesn't need to be continuously inundated with population growth in some bizarre contest to see if we can reach India or China's size.
I couldn't agree me and you expressed exactly what is happening in our country. Why would we want a foreign demographic/culture to replace ours? Would Mexico or any other Hispanic country want their demographics, culture and language replaced by a foreign one especially via illegal immigration? No of course they wouldn't and rightly so! It's neither natural nor lawful!

Old 03-03-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah I realize but my point is it's possible and it has happened that an area is so dominated by Spanish that there is no need to learn English. This has happened in Doral and other towns, the kids don't learn english because everything at the school is in Spanish

I don't think it's going to be widespread like that but it's going to happen in clusters
It's like that in the southwest to and if illegal immigration isn't stopped it will happen all over our country. Hispanics also enjoy the largest quotas for legal immigration into our country. What happened to diversity? It's a recipe for non-assimilation and colonization.

Old 03-03-2022, 01:02 PM

18,465 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:

well you're right....Cubans that came to Miami during Mariel. He has an insurance company in Hialeah....been here 50 years...and can not communicate in English
They grew up in Hialeah...and now live in Doral
His wife's sister is married to a Cuban....that does not speak or understand one word of English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies