Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2022, 01:02 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Re: Naturalized Citizens that take the test. Although there is a US Citizenship test in English, there are exemptions from having the take the test in English. You are very well aware of these exemptions. Why are you pretending like you don't know about the exemptions?

You are not dumb. Why are you playing dumb?
The only exceptions that I'm aware of are for the elderly which make up a small number of naturalizations. Just because I didn't mention that doesn't mean I'm playing dumb! Most of the time the citizenship tests are in English because knowing English is a requirement.

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-05-2022 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-05-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The only reason that Spanish is as widespread as it is today in the United States is because of illegal immigration.

The vast majority of current Spanish speakers did not come into this country legally.
Exactly! We only allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year that includes all races/ethnicities/nationalities yet 2 million mostly Spanish speakers crossed our border illegally in the past year and at least a million every year prior to that. Someone needs to do the math!

Old 03-05-2022, 01:41 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
The US has always been a partially Hispanic country (at least since the annexation of Texas and the Mexican war conquest in 1848). I am a conservative so I am not saying this as some kind of PC liberal. We would be better off to embrace this than to fight it as it is as American as apple pie.

Also true is the fact that we are a majority Anglo nation with Anglo traditions. This will not change.

Both Anglo and Hispanic Americans would be best to embrace and accept these facts about our country. Being bi lingual and having two cultural bases is a strength of our nation not a weakness. This is something George W Bush understood and he is correct. As conservative Republicans we need to embrace this if we want to win. Denying the reality of our country...a very old reality of our country is simply foolhardy.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:44 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The US has always been a partially Hispanic country (at least since the annexation of Texas and the Mexican war conquest in 1848). I am a conservative so I am not saying this as some kind of PC liberal. We would be better off to embrace this than to fight it as it is as American as apple pie.

Also true is the fact that we are a majority Anglo nation with Anglo traditions. This will not change.

Both Anglo and Hispanic Americans would be best to embrace and accept these facts about our country. Being bi lingual and having two cultural bases is a strength of our nation not a weakness. This is something George W Bush understood and he is correct. As conservative Republicans we need to embrace this if we want to win. Denying the reality of our country...a very old reality of our country is simply foolhardy.
And then there is the concept of "individual liberty" that many people embrace... until it involves someone doing (or speaking) differently than they do.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:23 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
I don't view this as an issue. I should probably learn spanish anyway.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:24 PM

13,620 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:

OMG! A poster on City Data PoC that makes rational sense. You, sir, are a rarity.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:41 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You sound like Kamala now "let's figure out the root cause". We know what the root cause is but it's not our problem.

Where did I say that I hate illegal aliens and their language and yes they are coming here and taking things from Americans that they aren't entitled to. Are you in denial about that? Really?

My emotions are based on the rule of law not unwarranted sympathy or compassion for these law breakers while holding no compassion for Americans who are bearing the brunt of this mess of which bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics are guilty of.

I have every right to be angry about this issue and so are millions of other Americans over it and rightly so! If an illegal invasion of our country isn't reason to get angry then I don't know what is especially since there seems to be no end to it and the negative impact these people have on our society.

You shouldn't put words in other people's mouths either. I have never said that I hate illegal aliens but human beings do break laws and should be held accountable for it rather than be rewarded for it.

I already said there is no further need for us to discuss this issue in a prior post but you still felt the need to come back at me again? Are you done now?
For today, yes. Oh wait, one more thing.

You don't have to say you hate. It is obvious to anyone who reads your posts.

Now I am done.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:45 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I don't view this as an issue. I should probably learn spanish anyway.
I picked up a lot of written Spanish from reading ads and whatnot in the subways and transportation centers over 40 years. Not sure how to pronounce everything, though.

Now I am doing the same with French. Have even less a clue as to how to say the words. The hardest part about a bilingual country is being old and trying to read the tinier print necessary when two languages are crammed onto every package!

Old 03-05-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:

So we aren't entitled to secure our border and deport these illegal aliens? We should embrace them and their culture and language instead? There are only 50 million Hispanics in our country (including the illegal ones) vs over 330 million people total, total.

Nothing wrong with being bi-lingual but assimilation to English is desirable for the obvious reasons. I don't see two opposing cultures as a strength. Why would it be? Bush had an Hispanic daughter-in-law. He also pushed amnesty for illegal aliens. Go figure.

No, we don't need to embrace a foreign culture competing with ours especially since that culture is growing via illegal immigration. Are you kidding me?

The reality of our country is that we have immigration laws and that's all that counts in regards to this issue. We have several other minority, foreign cultures living in our country why should we embrace the Hispanic one specifically when it is growing via illegal immigration? We need to deport these people not embrace them and their culture. You're no conservative if you think so.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For today, yes. Oh wait, one more thing.

You don't have to say you hate. It is obvious to anyone who reads your posts.

Now I am done.
No it's not hate so I suggest you stop projecting that on to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies