Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 11:34 PM

929 posts, read 401,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
IIRC, you live not far from the Mexican border (San Diego, maybe), and yes, I get that you see more of the negative effects of illegal immigration than I do. Oh, they are in New Jersey, working in the restaurant and landscaping industries, some from Central America, but also a fair number of illegal Brazilians reside in my neck of the woods.

This thread is about language, though, not illegal immigration. I do know that illegal immigration consumes you. It's who you are, the very core of your being, at least on these forums.

I'm not happy about hordes of people entering our country illegally, even though it bothers me far less than it does you. I don't cultivate the deep hatred for these people that you do only because I know if it was me living in one of those places that they ran from, I'd do anything myself to get into the United States. Yes, we can blather all day long about the need to come in legally, but for these people it's not remotely an option, and even though we don't like it, they are going to keep coming in the hope that they'll find a way to stay.

I don't have the answer to desperation like this, but whining about the language they speak as if that's some kind of threat to your existence doesn't do much to bolster your claim that it's REALLY just their immigration status that bothers you.
I'm an immigrant myself but I'm insulted that someone can just cross the border illegally and get rewarded for doing so, why do we let his happen? Forget about morality and humanity...you have hundreds of women and children getting slaughtered in Ukraine...why should we care about maggots at the border?

Old 03-05-2022, 07:01 AM

63,110 posts, read 29,291,757 times
Quote:
IIRC, you live not far from the Mexican border (San Diego, maybe), and yes, I get that you see more of the negative effects of illegal immigration than I do. Oh, they are in New Jersey, working in the restaurant and landscaping industries, some from Central America, but also a fair number of illegal Brazilians reside in my neck of the woods.

This thread is about language, though, not illegal immigration. I do know that illegal immigration consumes you. It's who you are, the very core of your being, at least on these forums.

I'm not happy about hordes of people entering our country illegally, even though it bothers me far less than it does you. I don't cultivate the deep hatred for these people that you do only because I know if it was me living in one of those places that they ran from, I'd do anything myself to get into the United States. Yes, we can blather all day long about the need to come in legally, but for these people it's not remotely an option, and even though we don't like it, they are going to keep coming in the hope that they'll find a way to stay.

I don't have the answer to desperation like this, but whining about the language they speak as if that's some kind of threat to your existence doesn't do much to bolster your claim that it's REALLY just their immigration status that bothers you.
And just how do you think that Spanish might become the majorily spoken language in the U.S. of which this topic is about if not via massive illegal immigration which has been rampant and unabated? So how is mentioning illegal immigration not a related issue? I said it would only happen if illegal immigration is allowed to continue unabated.

Illegal immigration should be of great concern to all Americans for the various reasons that we all know about so to act like I'm some kind of a nut over it is uncalled for! An invasion on our southern border is a very pressing issue.

Sorry to hear that you would break the law and take from others that wouldn't belong to you for your own personal gain. I wasn't brought up that way. I guess it's ok that they take jobs from Americans by working for less? I guess it's ok if they commit felony ID theft and/or tax evasion? I guess it's ok that they cost the taxpayer over $100 billion a year? I guess it's ok that they are overcrowding our schools, jails, healthcare facilities, roads and neighborhoods and depleting our social and natural resources just because they have economic needs?

Sorry, but there is no reasoning with bleeding hearts who just deal in emotion rather than common sense and the rights and needs of our own citizens. So there is no further need for you and I to discuss this issue.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:16 AM

26,018 posts, read 18,993,068 times
I live in an area where Spanish is spoken by a good number of the inhabitants of the area. Some are illegal aliens for sure, but I would say that is actually a very small percentage. There is just a good sized Hispanic community here, historically and right now. And they just tend to speak Spanish. Most all of them speak English as well.

I don't really see a problem with that at all. Now, it is also true that this area in general has a larger number of people who can speak foreign languages in general--this is Utah and a good number of people have served church missions in foreign nations. So, I do hear different languages more often that I would in other areas, I assume. But lots of Spanish by bilingual speakers.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:20 AM

27,685 posts, read 28,791,182 times
Quote:
This thread is about language, though, not illegal immigration. I do know that illegal immigration consumes you.
The only reason that Spanish is as widespread as it is today in the United States is because of illegal immigration.

The vast majority of current Spanish speakers did not come into this country legally.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:26 AM

26,018 posts, read 18,993,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The only reason that Spanish is as widespread as it is today in the United States is because of illegal immigration.

The vast majority of current Spanish speakers did not come into this country legally.
How many cajun French speakers in Louisiana came into the US illegally? Or came into the US at all? There are communities and areas in the US where you hear certain languages often. And the speakers are born-in-the-US citizens. Around here, that would be Spanish. In other areas, different languages. For instance, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Italian, etc. One of my aunts spoke Portuguese with her family. She was born in the US.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:27 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,326,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Duh, I was speaking of becoming a naturalized citizen not a native born one.

The citizenship test is in English.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/test-pre...ation%20skills.
Re: Naturalized Citizens that take the test. Although there is a US Citizenship test in English, there are exemptions from having the take the test in English. You are very well aware of these exemptions. Why are you pretending like you don't know about the exemptions?

You are not dumb. Why are you playing dumb?

Old 03-05-2022, 11:39 AM

88,767 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And just how do you think that Spanish might become the majorily spoken language in the U.S. of which this topic is about if not via massive illegal immigration which has been rampant and unabated? So how is mentioning illegal immigration not a related issue? I said it would only happen if illegal immigration is allowed to continue unabated.

Illegal immigration should be of great concern to all Americans for the various reasons that we all know about so to act like I'm some kind of a nut over it is uncalled for! An invasion on our southern border is a very pressing issue.

Sorry to hear that you would break the law and take from others that wouldn't belong to you for your own personal gain. I wasn't brought up that way. I guess it's ok that they take jobs from Americans by working for less? I guess it's ok if they commit felony ID theft and/or tax evasion? I guess it's ok that they cost the taxpayer over $100 billion a year? I guess it's ok that they are overcrowding our schools, jails, healthcare facilities, roads and neighborhoods and depleting our social and natural resources just because they have economic needs?

Sorry, but there is no reasoning with bleeding hearts who just deal in emotion rather than common sense and the rights and needs of our own citizens. So there is no further need for you and I to discuss this issue.
Um...I am the one who says that we should deal with it from the point of view of understanding why it happens and then trying to figure out what we should do on a practical basis to end the tide of illegal immigration.

Meanwhile, your one-note song is I HATE THOSE PEOPLE AND THEIR LANGUAGE AND THEY ARE ALL COMING HERE TO TAKE MY STUFF!!!! and going off with the usual litany of assumptions about other posters, so given that you operate under a constant state of deep anger, it seems to me that YOU are the one dealing in emotion, not me. This obvious hatred for other human beings at the level you carry is exactly an emotion. You must produce some major stomach acid.

But you are right, there is no need for you and I to discuss this issue. I prefer logic and reality.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I'm not sure that's true, but I don't know where we would find that information. The vast majority of Spanish speakers I know seem to have come here legally. Again, that may be perspectives based on where we are. I'm sure people in border states would see it the way you want to.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
How many cajun French speakers in Louisiana came into the US illegally? Or came into the US at all? There are communities and areas in the US where you hear certain languages often. And the speakers are born-in-the-US citizens. Around here, that would be Spanish. In other areas, different languages. For instance, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Italian, etc. One of my aunts spoke Portuguese with her family. She was born in the US.
I don't know if it still exists, but some years ago there was still an active Italian social club in New Jersey called The Boat-Jumpers Club, so named because the fathers of many of the members had come into the country illegally by jumping into New York Harbor before their ships got to Ellis Island and swimming to land.

While of course such illegal immigration is not on the level of what we see today on the southern border, it has always been happening. About 20 years ago, I knew a young Dutch woman who was working as a nanny. She met an American man, they fell in love, and she decided not to go back when her visa ran out. They moved to the west coast. Don't know whatever became of her, but I'm sure she's not the only one who ever did that.

As far as language goes, a few years ago, I worked for an engineering company. The owner was born in Brooklyn but did not learn to speak English until he was 18 years old and wanted to go to Polytechnic. His grandchildren are now learning English in first grade, but English is still not their first language.

After that, I worked for another engineering company owned by a Pakistani husband and wife who had learned to speak English as children in their homeland.

The range and reason for the languages people speak in this country is not all that black and white.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:58 PM

63,110 posts, read 29,291,757 times
Quote:
Um...I am the one who says that we should deal with it from the point of view of understanding why it happens and then trying to figure out what we should do on a practical basis to end the tide of illegal immigration.

Meanwhile, your one-note song is I HATE THOSE PEOPLE AND THEIR LANGUAGE AND THEY ARE ALL COMING HERE TO TAKE MY STUFF!!!! and going off with the usual litany of assumptions about other posters, so given that you operate under a constant state of deep anger, it seems to me that YOU are the one dealing in emotion, not me. This obvious hatred for other human beings at the level you carry is exactly an emotion. You must produce some major stomach acid.

But you are right, there is no need for you and I to discuss this issue. I prefer logic and reality.
You sound like Kamala now "let's figure out the root cause". We know what the root cause is but it's not our problem.

Where did I say that I hate illegal aliens and their language and yes they are coming here and taking things from Americans that they aren't entitled to. Are you in denial about that? Really?

My emotions are based on the rule of law not unwarranted sympathy or compassion for these law breakers while holding no compassion for Americans who are bearing the brunt of this mess of which bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics are guilty of.

I have every right to be angry about this issue and so are millions of other Americans over it and rightly so! If an illegal invasion of our country isn't reason to get angry then I don't know what is especially since there seems to be no end to it and the negative impact these people have on our society.

You shouldn't put words in other people's mouths either. I have never said that I hate illegal aliens but human beings do break laws and should be held accountable for it rather than be rewarded for it.

I already said there is no further need for us to discuss this issue in a prior post but you still felt the need to come back at me again? Are you done now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies