Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 06:29 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I learned Spanish in school and have forgotten most of it.
Exactly, if you don't use it you lose it. We are an English speaking country so why would we need to learn Spanish when Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English as they are bi-lingual? We already have our common language to communicate in. If one has a job in the tourist industry or deals with foreign companies then it makes sense but not for everyday use. Even at that English is the language of business across the world. Makes more sense to spend your time learning something much more useful but to each his own I guess.

We all know that those employment ads requiring Spanish are to accomodate those here illegally. No thanks.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:21 PM

25,772 posts, read 12,840,301 times
Después de que estoy muerto...and not a minute sooner.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
“No” (That's “no” in Spanish.)
Keep remaining in denial in spite of historic facts. It's fun to watch. Is that all you've got is a one liner? Polly wanna cracker?

Old 03-06-2022, 04:08 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Actually, I think we should be more paranoid that we will all be speaking French. Oh, wait... we already do about 45% of the time. Well, at least in a way, since around 45% of our vocabulary is of French origin and not English.

Note: I did not mean to cause any coronaries or aneurisms with the above information. I'm going to take the Pfizer and Moderna way out of this: I accept no legal responsibility if the small paragraph above causes adverse side effects or death.

Note II: A good book to learn what REAL English looked like before being "contaminated" by French and other languages is, "Teach Yourself Old English." Or "Complete Old English." Interesting reads.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:14 PM

It doesn't matter if English incorporated a few foreign language words. It's still American English and is our national de facto language which unless we stop illegal immigration from mostly one linguistic group Spanish will be more widely spoken in our country per the topic heading! I wonder what part of that some people don't get and are remaining in denial over?

Old 03-06-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter if English incorporated a few foreign language words. It's still American English and is our national de facto language which unless we stop illegal immigration from mostly one linguistic group Spanish will be more widely spoken in our country per the topic heading! I wonder what part of that some people don't get and are remaining in denial over?
While I agree that illegal immigration certainly needs to be stopped (should have been stopped a long, long time ago and completely), I disagree that the Spanish language will "push English out" of the US. The only way I could ever see that happening is if we were actually conquered by a Spanish speaking nation. But even then, doubtful.

I mean, think of it: if France were to conquer the US (I know, but just pretend), do you think the entire nation would suddenly start speaking French? Even in twenty years? Fifty years? Of course, we'll never know, but I'd highly doubt it. It might be the "language of the elite and government officials" like it was in England when France ruled. But English would still be the "people's language." It could, of course, absorb some more French vocab, but the grammar is far different and is not so easily absorbed.

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-06-2022 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-06-2022, 04:25 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
ChrisC is talking about the same thing I was upthread, the time in history when English changed forever because of the Conquest. You remember, Harold and William at Hastings, 1066. Those English speakers survived. It was a hell of a lot more French than a few words, and you use those French words every single day.

Ooo fun fact time. Some words came in more than once.

The French etiquet once meant a document issued by an authority allowing for safe passage. It came into English twice centuries apart, once as etiquette, once as ticket.

What you are afraid of is unlikely to happen.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:30 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
While I agree that illegal immigration certainly needs to be stopped (should have been stopped a long, long time ago and completely), I disagree that the Spanish language will "push English out" of the US. The only way I could ever see that happening is if we were actually conquered by a Spanish speaking nation. But even then, doubtful.

I mean, think of it: if France were to conquer the US (I know, but just pretend), do you think the entire nation would suddenly start speaking French? Even in twenty years? Fifty years? Of course, we'll never know, but I'd highly doubt it. It might be the "language of the elite and government officials" like it was in England when France ruled. But English would still be the "people's language."
Yes. And eventually, the languages mix.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:37 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Yo soy un Gringo.

Old 03-06-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Yo soy un Gringo.
What's an un-gringo? Is it like 7-up is the un-cola?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies