Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 05:42 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I couldn't care less what they are talking about and it certainly wouldn't be about me as they don't even know me nor do I approach them in any way.

My objection is listening to Spanish babel all day long when it is directly due to massive illegal immigration, Hispanics who refuse to speak English even if they know how to or refuse to learn it. Why would you find fault with that? Shouldn't linguistic assimilation be encouraged so they we can all communicate with one another and not feel like we are living in a foreign country? I couldn't care less what language one chooses to speak in their own homes. Where did I call those who refuse to assimilate, racists? So no, in response to your claim about me I am not Hispanic phobic whatever the hell that means. I have no problem with Hispanics here legally and that have assimilated into our society.
Sadly, speaking Spanish alone in the home ends up costing taxpayers big money when their illegal alien children and anchor babies go to school. In AZ, the funding for English as a Second Language was part of the Special Education budget, but of course, it was considered more politically correct to spend less on the special needs of children with developmental disabilities than on children who entered school unable to speak English. I remember when kids had to count to 10 and know colors before entering kindergarten and show a birth certificate, but now, they don't have to even speak English. They were taught a 2nd language (English) when my son with special needs could not speak one, and there was no money for his needed speech therapy in the special education budget, it went to those that already had language, one their family chose for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked in New York City all my life. In the World Trade Center for much of it, so, as you can imagine, I heard far more than just Spanish "babel" every day.

I don't care if people speak a language other than English. It doesn't bother me at all; in fact, I find it fascinating. I once had a Kenyan-born coworker who told me that the official languages of her country are English and Swahili, plus everyone speaks their tribal language. She taught me a few curse words in Luo.

I was always amazed listening to my Spanish-speaking coworkers bounce back and forth between English and Spanish in the same conversation. They did it all the time.

I never felt as if I was living in a foreign country because people around me didn't always speak English. I felt as if I was in America because they had come here from all over the world, and that's what this country has always been ever since the inhabitants of Manhattan spoke mostly Dutch.
Maybe the culture felt different. Maybe you didn't have a group of men sitting outside the business pointing at the passerbys, especially women and mumbling in Spanish. Yeah, I know a little Spanish, enough to pick up some words. Maybe they weren't living 5 or 6 families to a house, parking in the front yard and being a general nuisance. Maybe they weren't overwhelming the charities, overburdening the hospitals with their free baby delivery (reimbursed under Medicaid) and other "emergencies" (also reimbursed under Medicaid) which pays less, and pays behind, putting the local hospitals in a bind. Maybe crime didn't soar like it does in the meatpacking and dog food industry related cities.

Maybe your experience isn't exactly like that of mine or Old Glory's.

I was actually doing research as the big boys in the city want to put in a slaughter house for 300 jobs, and it is being opposed for darn good reason. I lived in Emporia, KS (illegal aliens everywhere), and I know what it does to a city. I came across this, which pretty much spells out the issue of illegal aliens:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...r%20industries.

Who dominates the industry:

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...mented-workers

Would American workers do those jobs? Yes, for a decent wage and when the manufacturer maintains safe working conditions. Instead, they pay them less, and we pick up the tab for the rest of their needs and the anchor babies we pay to deliver and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I’m also against illegal immigration. But not because they speak Spanish. I could care less what language they speak. Don’t you have more important things to worry about?
See my comment above as when my son with special needs had no language, the funding for special education was going for "English as a Second Language". This was in southern AZ, and KS in many areas is just as bad. These kids coming out of these uneducated homes speaking Spanish cost the school systems big time! I think it is about 3 times what a English speaking child costs to educate.

And, yes, there are many important things to worry about when it comes to illegal aliens; rise in crime, cost of public assistance, illegal aliens in public housing while our citizens live on the street to include our citizen children, cost of medical especially their multiple child births and other emergencies that are covered, gangs, the drugs..................

At some point, the people have to say it is over, and stop this nonsense in its tracks. Enforce the law, and stop the invasion, which is surely is. Remember the signs "Make America Mexico"? Just say "No" and vote your convictions on this, and we won't become Spanish speaking and a third world dive, keep letting it be and say good-bye to all we and our ancestors worked and died for.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 03-04-2022 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 06:56 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,210,090 times
I don't know whether the U.S. will become a majority Spanish speaking country. But I don't really understand why that is such a bad thing. Switzerland is a country less than half the size of Indiana yet has 4 national languages.

Old 03-04-2022, 06:58 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
Nope
Yep, quit denying what is "historically" true!

Old 03-04-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I don't know whether the U.S. will become a majority Spanish speaking country. But I don't really understand why that is such a bad thing. Switzerland is a country less than half the size of Indiana yet has 4 national languages.
It's a bad thing when it happens via illegal immigration. It's neither natural nor lawful! The Swiss still have their own culture. Ours is being diluted by the above. I don't recall the Swiss having an illegal immigration problem.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I worked in New York City all my life. In the World Trade Center for much of it, so, as you can imagine, I heard far more than just Spanish "babel" every day.

I don't care if people speak a language other than English. It doesn't bother me at all; in fact, I find it fascinating. I once had a Kenyan-born coworker who told me that the official languages of her country are English and Swahili, plus everyone speaks their tribal language. She taught me a few curse words in Luo.

I was always amazed listening to my Spanish-speaking coworkers bounce back and forth between English and Spanish in the same conversation. They did it all the time.

I never felt as if I was living in a foreign country because people around me didn't always speak English. I felt as if I was in America because they had come here from all over the world, and that's what this country has always been ever since the inhabitants of Manhattan spoke mostly Dutch.
Do you find it also fascinating when hearing foreign babel all day long is due to illegal immigration? You're missing the entire point here!

Old 03-04-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I’m also against illegal immigration. But not because they speak Spanish. I could care less what language they speak. Don’t you have more important things to worry about?
No, you're not against illegal immigration. Every time the issue comes up you want them rewarded with amnesty.

There is nothing more important to me than fighting the illegal invasion of our country. Why isn't it important to you? That invasion is costing us dearly in so many ways and hearing Spanish babel all day long is only a small part of it. It's a reminder however of that invasion all the time and no that doesn't mean that I think all Hispanics are here illegally either.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Sadly, speaking Spanish alone in the home ends up costing taxpayers big money when their illegal alien children and anchor babies go to school. In AZ, the funding for English as a Second Language was part of the Special Education budget, but of course, it was considered more politically correct to spend less on the special needs of children with developmental disabilities than on children who entered school unable to speak English. I remember when kids had to count to 10 and know colors before entering kindergarten and show a birth certificate, but now, they don't have to even speak English. They were taught a 2nd language (English) when my son with special needs could not speak one, and there was no money for his needed speech therapy in the special education budget, it went to those that already had language, one their family chose for them.

Maybe the culture felt different. Maybe you didn't have a group of men sitting outside the business pointing at the passerbys, especially women and mumbling in Spanish. Yeah, I know a little Spanish, enough to pick up some words. Maybe they weren't living 5 or 6 families to a house, parking in the front yard and being a general nuisance. Maybe they weren't overwhelming the charities, overburdening the hospitals with their free baby delivery (reimbursed under Medicaid) and other "emergencies" (also reimbursed under Medicaid) which pays less, and pays behind, putting the local hospitals in a bind. Maybe crime didn't soar like it does in the meatpacking and dog food industry related cities.

Maybe your experience isn't exactly like that of mine or Old Glory's.

I was actually doing research as the big boys in the city want to put in a slaughter house for 300 jobs, and it is being opposed for darn good reason. I lived in Emporia, KS (illegal aliens everywhere), and I know what it does to a city. I came across this, which pretty much spells out the issue of illegal aliens:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...r%20industries.

Who dominates the industry:

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...mented-workers

Would American workers do those jobs? Yes, for a decent wage and when the manufacturer maintains safe working conditions. Instead, they pay them less, and we pick up the tab for the rest of their needs and the anchor babies we pay to deliver and support.

See my comment above as when my son with special needs had no language, the funding for special education was going for "English as a Second Language". This was in southern AZ, and KS in many areas is just as bad. These kids coming out of these uneducated homes speaking Spanish cost the school systems big time! I think it is about 3 times what a English speaking child costs to educate.

And, yes, there are many important things to worry about when it comes to illegal aliens; rise in crime, cost of public assistance, illegal aliens in public housing while our citizens live on the street to include our citizen children, cost of medical especially their multiple child births and other emergencies that are covered, gangs, the drugs..................

At some point, the people have to say it is over, and stop this nonsense in its tracks. Enforce the law, and stop the invasion, which is surely is. Remember the signs "Make America Mexico"? Just say "No" and vote your convictions on this, and we won't become Spanish speaking and a third world dive, keep letting it be and say good-bye to all we and our ancestors worked and died for.
Thank you! A voice of experience and reason here. It will just fall on deaf ears with these bleeding heart liberals and those who have ethnic ties to these illegals though.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:43 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,305,461 times
Quote:
I agree with another poster. There should be no reason to print ballots in any other language but English. In order to become a citizen you have to know English and only citizens can vote.

Incorrect. People from Puerto Rico are US Citizens at birth and they don't have to know English. Also, the US Citizenship test isn't mandated to be in English.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Incorrect. People from Puerto Rico are US Citizens at birth and they don't have to know English. Also, the US Citizenship test isn't mandated to be in English.
Duh, I was speaking of becoming a naturalized citizen not a native born one.

The citizenship test is in English.

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/test-pre...ation%20skills.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:51 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Do you find it also fascinating when hearing foreign babel all day long is due to illegal immigration? You're missing the entire point here!
IIRC, you live not far from the Mexican border (San Diego, maybe), and yes, I get that you see more of the negative effects of illegal immigration than I do. Oh, they are in New Jersey, working in the restaurant and landscaping industries, some from Central America, but also a fair number of illegal Brazilians reside in my neck of the woods.

This thread is about language, though, not illegal immigration. I do know that illegal immigration consumes you. It's who you are, the very core of your being, at least on these forums.

I'm not happy about hordes of people entering our country illegally, even though it bothers me far less than it does you. I don't cultivate the deep hatred for these people that you do only because I know if it was me living in one of those places that they ran from, I'd do anything myself to get into the United States. Yes, we can blather all day long about the need to come in legally, but for these people it's not remotely an option, and even though we don't like it, they are going to keep coming in the hope that they'll find a way to stay.

I don't have the answer to desperation like this, but whining about the language they speak as if that's some kind of threat to your existence doesn't do much to bolster your claim that it's REALLY just their immigration status that bothers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies