Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 04:58 PM

1,353 posts, read 475,128 times

Advertisements

Are loanwords now being portrayed as the syncretistic catch 22 argument for what's going on? The exchange of linguistic articulation of concepts isn't new or somehow indicative of a more profoundly variational society. For example, the Korean Peninsula is one of the most ethnically homogenous in the world with their last major expansionist empire being the... Balhae in the early 10th century? Despite being relatively insulated (though much of its history is as a vassal or tributary state of Chinese dynasties), a lot of their language comes from neighbouring Sino laguage systems. It's estimated that 70-80% of Korean words are Sino-Korean derived in nature. Sounds like a lot, right? Well I don't believe it's being used as a rallying cry for the "enrichment" of Korean society unless K-Pop and fast food counts.

Old 03-06-2022, 05:23 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I am using the same tactic you do… repeat the same thing over and over. I’m just more brief about it.
At least I have the facts on my side while all you do is say "no" without any explanation why Spanish won't overtake English due to continued illegal immigration from south of our border.

Currently, there are more Spanish speakers in the U.S. than in Spain, and the nation is set to overtake Mexico by 2050.....a lot due to illegal immigration.

These days, it’s nearly impossible to go anywhere in the United States without running into Spanish speakers and those who don't know English are usually illegal aliens!

From a small town in Minnesota to Latino hubs like Los Angeles and South Texas, Spanish is a thriving language and the number of speakers is growing day by day.......directly due to massive and continued illegal immigration!

The job market in the United States is extremely competitive and there are often more qualified individuals than there are jobs. It turns out though that one of the ways you can set yourself apart these days is by being able to speak Spanish. Why would that be since most Hispanic-Americans know English? Yep, it's directly due to illegal immigration.

Again, remain in denial and keep saying "nope" though.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 631,712 times
You know what's kind of funny? Cubans often get praised by the GOP during election cycles as a way of attracting their votes but the Cuban/Latin American dominance in Miami has helped made South Florida one of the worst places for English-Only speakers in the entire country.

Try moving to Miami itself, Hialeah, Westchester, Doral, Kendall, etc. only speaking English and you'll ironically have a harder time adjusting than moving to a lot of Tejano-majority areas in South Texas or even Chicano-majority areas of Southern California.

I always found that to be an interesting conundrum, considering that Mexicans are often stereotyped as the unassimilated, ethnocentric Latinos while Cubans are seen as assimilated patriots.

Anyways, sticking to the subject, I don't think the U.S. will ever be majority Spanish speaking. For one, Hispanics generally assimilate much faster than people think they do. Only illegal immigrants(who don't even make up a quarter of Hispancs) don't assimilate.

Spanish will always be America's unofficial second language because of demographics but, at the rate that Hispanics are assimilating, speaking English, and carving out their own "San-American" identity like Irish Americans or African Americans, I definitely don't see the U.S. becoming majority "Spanish speaking."

Old 03-06-2022, 07:28 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
How many cajun French speakers in Louisiana came into the US illegally? Or came into the US at all? There are communities and areas in the US where you hear certain languages often. And the speakers are born-in-the-US citizens. Around here, that would be Spanish. In other areas, different languages. For instance, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Italian, etc. One of my aunts spoke Portuguese with her family. She was born in the US.
Yes, there are hundreds of languages spoken by people in the United States. But none of those languages is anywhere near as ubiquitous as Spanish is.

The Hispanic population is much larger than the African American population. There is no legitimate reason why this should be the case. It does not serve our national interest to have such a large population of that demographic in this country.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
You know what's kind of funny? Cubans often get praised by the GOP during election cycles as a way of attracting their votes but the Cuban/Latin American dominance in Miami has helped made South Florida one of the worst places for English-Only speakers in the entire country.

Try moving to Miami itself, Hialeah, Westchester, Doral, Kendall, etc. only speaking English and you'll ironically have a harder time adjusting than moving to a lot of Tejano-majority areas in South Texas or even Chicano-majority areas of Southern California.

I always found that to be an interesting conundrum, considering that Mexicans are often stereotyped as the unassimilated, ethnocentric Latinos while Cubans are seen as assimilated patriots.

Anyways, sticking to the subject, I don't think the U.S. will ever be majority Spanish speaking. For one, Hispanics generally assimilate much faster than people think they do. Only illegal immigrants(who don't even make up a quarter of Hispancs) don't assimilate.

Spanish will always be America's unofficial second language because of demographics but, at the rate that Hispanics are assimilating, speaking English, and carving out their own "San-American" identity like Irish Americans or African Americans, I definitely don't see the U.S. becoming majority "Spanish speaking."
Are the Cubans here illegally? I do know that you are right about them not assimilating though. You can't get a job in Miami unless you can speak Spanish.

The difference here though is that Cubans aren't coming here illegally in unabated numbers like the Mexicans and Central Americans are.

It's true that Hispanic-Americans probably outnumber the illegal ones. However, based on the decades that they have been coming here illegally and how it has accelerated under Biden I'm not so sure of that anymore. They have been coming here in caravans for years now. Some say that illegal immigration from south of our border could be as high as 30 million. In that case they could outnumber those here legally.

Those here illegally live in Spanish dominant neighborhoods so they don't feel the need to learn English. Why are so many things printed in Spanish? Why do many jobs require that you speak Spanish and the list goes on and on. If there wasn't a significant number of those here illegally or those here legally that may know English but want to be pampered in Spanish then why the need for all of that?

No one in their right mind couldn't surmise that if a certain demographic overwhelms and outnumbers a native population that their culture and language wouldn't change to theirs.

The Irish and African Americans speak English not a foreign language so I don't know why you are bringing them up in regards to language usage in our country.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, there are hundreds of languages spoken by people in the United States. But none of those languages is anywhere near as ubiquitous as Spanish is.

The Hispanic population is much larger than the African American population. There is no legitimate reason why this should be the case. It does not serve our national interest to have such a large population of that demographic in this country.
If they are here lawfully then that's a different story and most of them are bi-lingual. My argument and concern is the millions that are here illegally and continuing to invade our border in massive numbers. There is not only an economic impact but a cultural and linguistic impact to.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:12 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are here lawfully then that's a different story and most of them are bi-lingual. My argument and concern is the millions that are here illegally and continuing to invade our border in massive numbers. There is not only an economic impact but a cultural and linguistic impact to.
I think in most cases, the folks on your side of the political spectrum agree with your stance on illegal immigration. I agree with you on that. But, you seem to constantly blame a language (in this case, Spanish) for an illegal immigration problem.

The problem with illegal immigration is not the Spanish language any more than the C++ programming language is to blame for hackers stealing your identity; the problem is Washington DC and the worthless "leaders" we send there. The problem is that we do not have the military on the border, protecting it and sending anyone who wants to cross illegally right back across the border. Regardless of the language.

Old 03-06-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think in most cases, the folks on your side of the political spectrum agree with your stance on illegal immigration. I agree with you on that. But, you seem to constantly blame a language (in this case, Spanish) for an illegal immigration problem.

The problem with illegal immigration is not the Spanish language any more than the C++ programming language is to blame for hackers stealing your identity; the problem is Washington DC and the worthless "leaders" we send there. The problem is that we do not have the military on the border, protecting it and sending anyone who wants to cross illegally right back across the border. Regardless of the language.
What you aren't getting is the increase of Spanish speakers is directly due to illegal immigration. That is my point!

Old 03-06-2022, 08:59 PM

640 posts, read 450,802 times
Default Majority Spanish? Not a chance

The US would not become a majority-Spanish country. One of three possibilities lie ahead:
1. The present unfettered immigration continues. In that case, people from all sorts of hellholes would pour in, many speaking French, Portuguese, who knows what. The uniting language: English.
2. GOP manages to restrict immigration, so English stays the most common language.
3. The immigration is slowed a bit to a manageable level. The old immigrants would have a chance to assimilate, and their kids will speak English.

As long as we stay healthy, it is unlikely that English would cease to be a dominant language both in the US and in the world.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
The US would not become a majority-Spanish country. One of three possibilities lie ahead:
1. The present unfettered immigration continues. In that case, people from all sorts of hellholes would pour in, many speaking French, Portuguese, who knows what. The uniting language: English.
2. GOP manages to restrict immigration, so English stays the most common language.
3. The immigration is slowed a bit to a manageable level. The old immigrants would have a chance to assimilate, and their kids will speak English.

As long as we stay healthy, it is unlikely that English would cease to be a dominant language both in the US and in the world.
1. No, unless all those other groups fly into Mexico by large numbers and try to cross our border they won't get into the U.S. That's not going to happen. With continued unabated illegal immigration from Spanish speakers it's obvious what will happen linguistically and culturally to our country.

2. The GOP doesn't want to restrict legal immigration in reasonable numbers it's illegal immigration they want to restrict and so far they haven't been able to do it and it's getting worse by the day. So that will alter our
language and culture.

3. It's not immigration it's illegal immigration and unless the Democrats, bleeding heart liberals and ethnocentrics come to their senses about securing our border and deporting illegal aliens and stop promising amnesty assimilation isn't going to happen.

I don't know what about us staying healthy has to do with this issue and with all of the above scenarios English will not remain the dominant language of our country and our culture will be altered via illegal immigration.

Too many people sticking their heads in the sand on this issue either that or they relish an Hispanic takeover of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies