Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 05:45 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It will never happen. Most native Spanish speakers descendants speak English as there first language after a generation or two. Same as it always has been.
You forget the constant influx of Spanish speaking illegals though. Many who will never learn English because they are past the school age. That moves the goal posts and changes everything. In my neck of the woods I hear more Spanish being spoken than English. Why is that?

Old 09-21-2021, 06:24 PM

2,400 posts, read 784,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Agitprop pearl-clutching

Or

Non-assimilating invaders.

You pick.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You forget the constant influx of Spanish speaking illegals though. Many who will never learn English because they are past the school age. That moves the goal posts and changes everything. In my neck of the woods I hear more Spanish being spoken than English. Why is that?
Because hey are not actually interested in becoming Americans. Rather, they just want to take advantage of what America has to offer, including welfare, without actually making the commitment to the country that ALL previous generations have done admirably.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:04 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Because hey are not actually interested in becoming Americans. Rather, they just want to take advantage of what America has to offer, including welfare, without actually making the commitment to the country that ALL previous generations have done admirably.
And you know this how? Have you ever left everything you knew all your life behind to not be a part of something else? That’s not changing who you are, you just incorporating a new thing in your life. Ask any transplant who comes to Fl. They can’t change their Connecticut accent, or love hokey, the 4 seasons etc. but they committed to make the best if it, even though they complain about the heat 24/7. But they seldom return. Most that come here, it’s to make a new home.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:09 AM

1,111 posts, read 748,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And you know this how?
I mean, just look at who's overwhelmingly on welfare benefits.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:31 AM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times
One thing I love about the US is the variety of ways to motivate people. One is through fear which can lead to several outcomes. One outcome is the pushback of anything not deemed "American." Another outcome is the motivation to learn something new, like a language. Lastly, some people may be motivated to up their game in their skills in order to compete and/or cooperate with others who have different skills.

I grew up in a Spanish-speaking environment and learned very basic Spanish (and even that was pretty bad.) English is my native tongue and I love it, wouldn't change it for anything. In fact, I hired a person from Central America to teach me Spanish because he knows so much more about English than I do. If something doesn't get translated word-for-word from English to Spanish, he can most certainly explain it and not just tell me to accept it.

There will always be people who are less skillful than others. There will always be people who will rely heavily on a teacher who understands their language. If children don't have access to that kind of teacher, they will learn the language that is being used around them. There was no way for my family to pass on Spanish to me because they didn't really learn how their language worked. They could use it but they couldn't teach it to me. In other words, they couldn't explain why I couldn't translate it directly from English.

America is great because we have a need for all kinds of people. The more skilled you are, the more you expect to be compensated for it. Less skilled people can find jobs that compensate for less and this includes people who speak English or Spanish. I have heard this argument before that immigrants should learn the language. The reality is that many of them are less skill in learning languages and need a teacher who really understands how English works.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
No, she meant that illegals use the most welfare relative to their numbers. More than 60% of illegals are on some form of welfare, with MORE THAN HALF on food welfare. Only 30% of native Americans are on any form of welfare.

I know that as a liberal, your disdain goes to the whites and sympathy to illegals, but sorry...honest, law-abiding Americans should not be paying ANYTHING to illegals who break our laws and then expect us to feed their kids.

https://cis.org/Report/Welfare-Use-L...ant-Households
We need a better solution than allowing people who are here without proper documentation to participate in welfare programs. It encourages them to stay and that's the wrong way to go about it.

Also, you're generalization of liberals is concerning. Just like how we may have disagreements on the conservative side, liberals don't all agree with eachother... and very few have disdain towards whites.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
And you know this how? Have you ever left everything you knew all your life behind to not be a part of something else? That’s not changing who you are, you just incorporating a new thing in your life. Ask any transplant who comes to Fl. They can’t change their Connecticut accent, or love hokey, the 4 seasons etc. but they committed to make the best if it, even though they complain about the heat 24/7. But they seldom return. Most that come here, it’s to make a new home.
You're naivety is mind-boggling. I live amongst exactly what I articulated. Only a blind fool would opine otherwise.

Do their kids, born in Florida, still speak with a Connecticut accent, generations later?

Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 AM

13,467 posts, read 4,301,426 times
I speak 3 languages. English is my 2nd one. I would learn a 4th one but I need motivation for it, like dealing with that language on a daily basis. Sadly, many here can't walk and chew gum at the same time and can't even handle 1 language and hate people that speak multiple. It's call hating.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I speak 3 languages. English is my 2nd one. I would learn a 4th one but I need motivation for it, like dealing with that language on a daily basis. Sadly, many here can't walk and chew gum at the same time and can't even handle 1 language and hate people that speak multiple. It's call hating.
When you speak English, no need to go further. You're at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies