Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2021, 11:58 AM

8,504 posts, read 4,747,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think you are onto something here. In fact, it may be a global conspiracy.

Did you know the French call Paris “Pa-ree”

The Italians and Germans are even worse! The call their cities by different names entirely. Cologne is spelled and pronounced “Köln”, and Florence is “Firenze”.

The Chinese are obvious bullies, changing the name of their capital from Peking to Beijing without even asking our permission, and they even use a different alphabet. Technically two different alphabets!

People from Boston are obvious traitors, with their habit of dropping the letter “R” from words like park.

But what about the British? They spell color as colour, but they had the language first! Oh no! What should we do?

It is almost as if we don’t have control or authority how people in other countries speak?!
Don’t forget Cyrillic! Only a, k, m, o, and t are the same in both alphabets. The c is an s?! What’s with that backwards N?? The P is an R?

Спасибо товарищй

Old 09-20-2021, 12:04 PM

2,400 posts, read 783,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
French is bad (albeit not as bad as English), but Spanish (only second to Italian, from what I understand), stays fairly close to archaic Latin's usage of letters (which carries over to classic Latin).

Just remember this.

English is the Universal Language of all that matters.

Diplomacy (used to be French, now English)
Commerce
Aviation
etc.

As far as I am concerned, English IS the Gold Standard, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 09-20-2021, 12:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Don’t forget Cyrillic! Only a, k, m, o, and t are the same in both alphabets. The c is an s?! What’s with that backwards N?? The P is an R?

Спасибо товарищй
Right! And Arabic languages too! Do you think that different languages might have different rules? What if their sentence structure and grammar is different? I think I heard that some people read right to left. How do they do that? Maybe they turn their computer monitors upside down?

Who do you think we can get to look into this? Maybe John Durham can do it. He might have some free time after spending three years and millions of dollars to get one BS indictment. I am sure he can find out who to blame for the Spanish butchery of the “LL”.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:18 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,364,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdonna View Post
who says he has anything against spanish? He just doesn't want this to become a majority spanish-speaking country, which would put native-born english-speaking citizens at a disadvantage - particularly employment. Why should native-born americans have to be put at a disadvantage because of immigrants refusing to learn the majority language of their adopted country?
this.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:30 PM

Heres a problem. English is the common language that binds us together as a society. Having a common language prevents discrimination, and promotes equality. It is extremely important in emergency lifesaving situations.
The idea that people are ridiculing english speaking american natives for merely wanting to preserve our culture, and not feel like strangers in our native land, is, frankly, insulting.
And honestly pretending this mass illegal immigration from latin america will result in a better country is a fairy tale. A fantasy.
Would you care to list all of the automobile, aircraft and large ship manufacturers that were founded in mexico and central america? Is there even one?
The United States has had hundreds if not thousands.
The reasons for this disparity can be debated but its foolish to pretend our society will advance.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The US does need cheap labor, ditch diggers, toilet cleaners. I'm ok with it.
You okay with dozens of homeless tents on your street? 200,000 a month, you think theyre sleeping in the basements of taco shops?
No, theyre absorbing all affordable housing, and since they are okay living 5-6 to an apartment (up to 3 families) americans cannot hope to compete with them as rents soar from demand.
Ironic, Biden is accomodating these invaders while local authorities' solution to exploding homelessness is to criminalize the mere survival of Americans being displaced by them.
Some Americans seem okay with that as they dismiss the homeless wholesale as drug addicts, drunks or crazy.
However thats not what put most of them there. There are many functioning alcoholics and recreational drug users holding down jobs and housing whether you know it or not.
Once youre on the street its easy to fall into depression and your habits become your only escape from your bleak outlook.
The country is on a dark path with the current attitudes and policies, as they said, "Nero fiddled, while Rome burned".

Reiterate: 200,000 a month. Where do you think they will live?

Old 09-20-2021, 07:13 PM

303 posts, read 128,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Water View Post
Just remember this.

English is the Universal Language of all that matters.

Diplomacy (used to be French, now English)
Commerce
Aviation
etc.

As far as I am concerned, English IS the Gold Standard, and I'm sticking to it.
I still can't tell if you're trolling or not.

I would have thought that no one would suggest that a language 'butchers letters' just because some of the letters of the alphabet are used to represent different sounds than they are in English, but all sorts come out on these forums so it's hard to tell.

I would not refer to any language as butchering letters, but I suppose there are two instances in which you could make that argument:

One is if they use the letters to represent sounds differently to how they were originally done in the first language to use the alphabet, ie Latin. In that case, English and pretty much every other modern European language butchers the letters as much as Spanish does.

The other instance would be if a language is internally inconsistent with its phonetics. If the letter C for example sometimes makes a hard 'k' sound (eg can) and sometimes makes a soft 's' sound (eg cent) and sometimes makes a 'sh' sound (eg suspicion) then I suppose you could say it butchers letters. Again, English seems to be a major culprit here.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
You okay with dozens of homeless tents on your street? 200,000 a month, you think theyre sleeping in the basements of taco shops?
No, theyre absorbing all affordable housing, and since they are okay living 5-6 to an apartment (up to 3 families) americans cannot hope to compete with them as rents soar from demand.
Ironic, Biden is accomodating these invaders while local authorities' solution to exploding homelessness is to criminalize the mere survival of Americans being displaced by them.
Some Americans seem okay with that as they dismiss the homeless wholesale as drug addicts, drunks or crazy.
However thats not what put most of them there. There are many functioning alcoholics and recreational drug users holding down jobs and housing whether you know it or not.
Once youre on the street its easy to fall into depression and your habits become your only escape from your bleak outlook.
The country is on a dark path with the current attitudes and policies, as they said, "Nero fiddled, while Rome burned".

Reiterate: 200,000 a month. Where do you think they will live?
YIMBY. Make construction great again. It’s a good blue collar job. And those who skirt the law could employ some of these supposed unemployable masses. They pay rent, rent pays property taxes, etc.

Not sure what that has to do with language, but there ya go.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Right! And Arabic languages too! Do you think that different languages might have different rules? What if their sentence structure and grammar is different? I think I heard that some people read right to left. How do they do that? Maybe they turn their computer monitors upside down?

Who do you think we can get to look into this? Maybe John Durham can do it. He might have some free time after spending three years and millions of dollars to get one BS indictment. I am sure he can find out who to blame for the Spanish butchery of the “LL”.
Oh man. It’s squiggly and they read backwards! Oh crime of crimes.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 PM

439 posts, read 202,168 times
Currently, nobody should worry about English being the “go to” language for commerce, negotiations, etc….

But your children and grandkids better learn Chinese and Spanish as English will become the “French” of today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies