Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 08:18 PM

63,008 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I've noticed that we have liberals here who just come out with all sorts of snark against people who point out the harm caused by Spanish-speaking illegal aliens. But that's the way liberals are going. Anyone who deviates from the liberal narrative, or points out the harm in it, gets smeared, mocked, insulted, and in many cases, silenced altogether.
Very true, and some of them resort to that kind of behavior because they have ethnic ties to illegal aliens. I find them the most despicable because it is self-serving and they'd like nothing better than to turn us into a Hispanic country even if it takes illegal immigration to do it.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 PM

141 posts, read 48,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong, English is the most widely spoken language in every state! Keep grasping at straws to belittle the importance and identifying language of our country though which is English like it or not. Did you just ignore the fact that our Constitution and all government business is conducted in English? Who cares what was drafted long ago! It doesn't change the facts! Aside from some ethnic business establishments American businesses do business in English to. Seems like the truth bothers you as you want to deny it an play it down. Hmm.
I'm not sure why you're pushing a false narrative and moving the goal line in every post. I just stated that we have regions of the US where English is not the dominant language. You can keep trying to ignore it but places like Little Italy and Chinatown exist and are as American as can be.

I also did not ignore anything about how our government conducts business. I referenced acts of our founding fathers and their intent to not have an official language. Progressives may not care about what was drafted by our founding fathers, but as a Conservative I value not only our Constitution but the actions and sentiment of our founding fathers. Seems like you do not value The Constitution and our founding fathers and want to deny what America is. Hmm.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:26 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,187,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
There's actually countries where people only speak one language. A lot of African countries for example.

We're fortunate in the US where we learn multiple languages in school.
Where in Africa is that? Most Africans are multilingual.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Which ones. Of the top of my head the only country in Africa that may be monolingual are in North Africa.

Most African countries speak 2 languages minimum and a significant portion of them have trilingual majorities. I for example only spoke English, but my Grandma spoke 4 languages, my mom speaks 2 languages and my grandma on my mothers side speaks 2-3 languages.

Their are countries were people speak only 1 language but Africa is the continent where you wouldn’t find that.
Exactly. I was wondering what in the hell he is talking about. I don’t even think very many North African countries are monolingual. They usually speak Arabic and a European language. Everywhere else is definitely at least bilingual and usually multilingual.

Honestly, I think some people just make assumptions about the African continent due to stereotypes that couldn’t be farther from the truth.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 PM

8,302 posts, read 3,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Which ones. Of the top of my head the only country in Africa that may be monolingual are in North Africa.

Most African countries speak 2 languages minimum and a significant portion of them have trilingual majorities. I for example only spoke English, but my Grandma spoke 4 languages, my mom speaks 2 languages and my grandma on my mothers side speaks 2-3 languages.

Their are countries were people speak only 1 language but Africa is the continent where you wouldn’t find that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Where in Africa is that? Most Africans are multilingual.
Saint Helena - Everyone speaks English and there's no other widely spoken language.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 PM

1,065 posts, read 473,115 times
Quote:
Saint Helena - Everyone speaks English and there's no other widely spoken language.
Sao Tome and Prince (pretty sure I butchered that spelling) only speaks one language as well... Portuguese

Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Some tiny little island territory in the Atlantic belonging to the U.K.? Seriously?

You said “a lot of African COUNTRIES.” Let’s hear them.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:39 PM

63,008 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
I'm not sure why you're pushing a false narrative and moving the goal line in every post. I just stated that we have regions of the US where English is not the dominant language. You can keep trying to ignore it but places like Little Italy and Chinatown exist and are as American as can be.

I also did not ignore anything about how our government conducts business. I referenced acts of our founding fathers and their intent to not have an official language. Progressives may not care about what was drafted by our founding fathers, but as a Conservative I value not only our Constitution but the actions and sentiment of our founding fathers. Seems like you do not value The Constitution and our founding fathers and want to deny what America is. Hmm.
I didn't move the goal posts you did! You go on about ethnic neighborhoods and I know they exist but that doesn't change the fact that English is the dominant language used in every state and is in fact our national de facto language! Then you go on and move the goal posts talking about the past which has nothing to do with what we decided our common, identifying language would be.

WTH do you even mean by me not valuing the Constitution by just stating the fact that English IS our national de facto language? Why would any American citizen want that changed due to massive "illegal" immigration which is what this topic is about! Try and stay on topic will you? Do you think our founding fathers would have been ok with that to? I never said English was our "official" language on the books so where the hell do you think you are going with this? Get outta here I have no further use in reading your crap or replying to you!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Sao Tome and Prince (pretty sure I butchered that spelling) only speaks one language as well... Portuguese
No. They are multilingual. Three creoles are spoken there.

And again, another small island. Where are the “lot of African countries?”

Old 09-19-2021, 08:44 PM

141 posts, read 48,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Some tiny little island territory in the Atlantic belonging to the U.K.? Seriously?

You said “a lot of African COUNTRIES.” Let’s hear them.
Let's not hear them. It's off topic. The point seems to be that there are countries out there that have single official languages. The US is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.