Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 08:00 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,827,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
These posts just scream inferiority complex. You keep digging yourself into a deeper hole.
This thread is hilarious. blanketties is so lost and it appears I live rent-free in her head.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:02 PM

8,305 posts, read 3,827,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
The majority of these particular immigrants greatly value education.
Sure. You see the same from Latinos who come here on visas as well.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:02 PM

63,054 posts, read 29,249,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
I think a lot of people don't know American history and try to convince themselves that English is our language. It's one of our many languages. We chose to separate ourselves from Europe and not have a national language, religion, etc.
Play it down all you want but English is our national de facto language even congress declared it so years ago. It's not just one of many languages here it is our identifying one and the one most spoken. Our Constitution is written in English and all government business is conducted in English.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:03 PM

947 posts, read 298,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
What gives with this chart?

Apparently someone needs to inform them that DCDonna, scared to death of the evil Spanish speakers taking her job, has decided education scores are going down because of them.
Now you're attacking me personally, with snark and sarcasm. Not allowed here. (I really wish liberals would stop smearing people who don't agree with that liberal policies ae harmful.)

And you are misconstruing what I said about how wrong it is for the U.S. government to require employees to speak Spanish because the citizens GETTING THE FREEBIES are immigrants who didn't learn English. Any benefit provided to U.S. citizens should be explained in English, and English only. You want to come here and have American taxpayers give you free stuff? Then learn the language and stop expecting Americans to learn Spanish to accommodate to YOU.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 PM

141 posts, read 48,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Play it down all you want but English is our national de facto language even congress declared it so years ago. It's not just one of many languages here it is our identifying one and the one most spoken. Our Constitution is written in English and all government business is conducted in English.
I'm not downplaying it, just stating the facts. You should travel around the US, we have de-facto languages that vary by region.

The US Constitution was drafted and distributed in English, German, and Dutch initially, and then other languages, including Spanish, shortly after. German was actually considered for our national language before our founding fathers decided to not have a national language and to let the people define our languages. Old languages like English and Spanish are most dominant but newer languages like Chinese and Vietnamese (newer to the US) are picking up.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM

Some good statistics in this report as to the drain that non-English speakers have on the educational system, and by extension the cost to Americans. Can't believe that we still have liberals here who think it's fine for kids who don't speak English to descend on schools en masse and not have negative impact.

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publica...blic-education

Old 09-19-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So you want to blame Spanish speakers for the failures of the American educational system?

You sound like a Trump supporter.
Who said they were blaming Spanish speakers for all the failures of the American educational system. Illegal alien Spanish speaking students are certainly a factor though. What's with the crack about Trump supporters? Shouldn't we all object to illegal immigration and the burden they are putting on our schools and everything else? Oh that's right, you're an illegal alien supporter. Ethnic ties perhaps?

Old 09-19-2021, 08:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,091,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
There's actually countries where people only speak one language. A lot of African countries for example.

We're fortunate in the US where we learn multiple languages in school.
Which ones. Of the top of my head the only country in Africa that may be monolingual are in North Africa.

Most African countries speak 2 languages minimum and a significant portion of them have trilingual majorities. I for example only spoke English, but my Grandma spoke 4 languages, my mom speaks 2 languages and my grandma on my mothers side speaks 2-3 languages.

Their are countries were people speak only 1 language but Africa is the continent where you wouldn’t find that.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who said they were blaming Spanish speakers for all the failures of the American educational system. Illegal alien Spanish speaking students are certainly a factor though. What's with the crack about Trump supporters? Shouldn't we all object to illegal immigration and the burden they are putting on our schools and everything else? Oh that's right, you're an illegal alien supporter. Ethnic ties perhaps?
I've noticed that we have liberals here who just come out with all sorts of snark against people who point out the harm caused by Spanish-speaking illegal aliens. But that's the way liberals are going. Anyone who deviates from the liberal narrative, or points out the harm in it, gets smeared, mocked, insulted, and in many cases, silenced altogether.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFarmerAmerican View Post
I'm not downplaying it, just stating the facts. You should travel around the US, we have de-facto languages that vary by region.

The US Constitution was drafted and distributed in English, German, and Dutch initially, and then other languages, including Spanish, shortly after. German was actually considered for our national language before our founding fathers decided to not have a national language and to let the people define our languages. Old languages like English and Spanish are most dominant but newer languages like Chinese and Vietnamese (newer to the US) are picking up.
Wrong, English is the most widely spoken language in every state! Keep grasping at straws to belittle the importance and identifying language of our country though which is English like it or not. Did you just ignore the fact that our Constitution and all government business is conducted in English? Who cares what was drafted long ago! It doesn't change the facts! Aside from some ethnic business establishments American businesses do business in English to. Seems like the truth bothers you as you want to deny it an play it down. Hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.