Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 06:50 AM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's more likely to become a bi-lingual language nation, much like Canada. Knowing more than one language can be good for international business.
English in the language of business across the world and only a minority of people in this country are involved in international business so it makes no sense for regular Americans to learn another language unless they choose to because if you don't use it you lose it so it's a waste of time.

This topic is about the growing number of Spanish speakers in this country and it is directly due to illegal immigration from south of our border. That is neither natural nor lawful and we should not embrace that along with those suggesting we learn Spanish to accomodate them because that would be the only reason to do so since most of those here legally or are citizens of this country know English. It's obvious why this is as this demand for Spanish has only been happening for a couple of decades or so when millions of Spanish speakers started swarming into our country illegally and are continuing to do so today.

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-18-2021 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 06:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Learning languages will be obsolete in five years. Digital translations will be immediate and more than accurate enough to carry out conversations with any person from anywhere in the world. We’re already almost here it’s just that most people do not realize they’re carrying around a powerful language translator in their pockets.

Sorry translators, you’re at the front of the line for being replaced by Rosey the Robot.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
This is an incredibly strange and ignorant post.
Why do you say that?

Have you tried to learn Spanish, vs other languages?

It's not nuanced. There are few double meanings. Most words follow the grammar rules. There aren't an endless variety of synonyms for one word.

Spanish dictionaries tend to have 100K words, and English dictionaries have 600K words. And ALL KINDS of grammar, spelling and pronunciation variants that don't follow rules.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-18-2021 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-18-2021, 07:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Spanish is only useful if you want to communicate better with your house cleaner or yard worker who is an immigrant from a Central American country.
Spanish is also very useful if you work in the court system, or health care, or any business that serves the public.

Old 09-18-2021, 07:50 AM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDonna View Post
I so agree! We have leftists on this thread whose allegiance so lies with the illegal aliens that they are fine with the U.S. government requiring that their employees prepare material in Spanish, and thus it costs Americans otherwise EXTREMELY qualified for a job a chance. It just proves, once again, that liberals have disdain for Americans (basically, they've said "so what? you want the job? You should have learned Spanish to accommodate immigrants who refuse to learn English) while defending illegal aliens who are behind all this Spanish language stuff. Why are we demanding that OUR citizens learn Spanish rather than immigrants learn English??!!

Do we REALLY, for example, need a "press 1 for English" and "press 2 for Spanish" at the grocery store checkout? The information is mostly just the dollar amount! If I were to go to Columbia, and I swiped my card, and the screen said "$74.31" with a "si" or "no" next to it, I'd be smart enough to decipher between "si" and "no."

Same thing with all the voting signs leading to the parking lot at the polling station. Do we REALLY need signs saying "vote AQUI" (or whatever "here" is in Spanish)? These are supposedly citizens who are voting? Similarly, do they need a ballot that says "presidente" instead of "president"? This is all just a bunch of leftist virtue signaling.
I totally agree with you! Yes these bleeding hearts and ethnocentrics never give a satisfactory explanation for any of the scenarios above and don't seem to want to admit that they are all occuring due to massive illegal immigration into our country by mostly Spanish speakers or maybe they just don't plain give a damn.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:11 AM

947 posts, read 297,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
When and where was this? Give examples.

Can you copy links to your post where you complain about the Amish, Mormons and Hasidic Jews? These groups want nothing to do with you.

With Latinos, we'll at least invite you over for dinner and a round of dominoes in the backyard.

And I'm sure you have a post about Native Americans and all their reservations. I mean, really, where do they get off segregating themselves from the rest of us and EACH other. As if we need a Navajo res AND Miccosukee.

And I can assume that the next time I'm sitting next to a Jewish family speaking Hebrew and decide to tell them to STHU and that this is not a Jewish country, to speak English... you'll back me up? Right...?

BTW, the first European languages spoken in this country where Spanish and French. Are you ready to honor that history?
I'm in my 60s and have NEVER heard a Jewish family speaking Hebrew in public, including really Orthodox ones wearing yarmulkes. They all speak English.

This is specifically a problem with Spanish, and Spanish-speaking immigrants. We certainly aren't translating material into Hebrew for the Jews' benefit!

Old 09-18-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No, it isn't.

Calling someone a 'Karen' is a description of an attitude a person adopts.

I've witnessed 'Karens' in each of several races.
No, "Karen" is a name most found among white women in their 50s and 60s. You could just as well call them "Lindas" or "Susans."

It is analogous to my taking a stereotypical negative black trait, and assigning a black name. Like I'm riding in the DC subway, and some black guys are talking at a sky-high decibel, and I were to remark to my traveling companion that "I wish that Tyrone would shut up". It's racist, just like Karen is racist.

(But of course we all know that liberals are OK with anti-white racism, so Karen it is!)

Old 09-18-2021, 08:33 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In other words immigrants do not assimilate linguistically into our country like they use to
Possibly true, I have never seen comparisons as to how quickly other waves of immigrants have assimilated. Your big flaw here is thinking I care how quickly people assimilate linguistically. What language any given person speaks is not my concern, and the US Constitution backs up my viewpoint on this. People have freedom of expression, and if they want to express themselves in Spanish, Tagalog, English or Mandarin, it is all the same to me.

Quote:
and much of it is due to illegal immigration from south of our border.
Possibly true. But now you are arguing about immigration rather than language. Two different topics, and you will note that I am not bothering to comment on immigration.

Quote:
Thanks for verifying what I actually said! Since when should we have to learn Spanish to accomodate
For somebody who is such a staunch advocate of English, you should probably learn how to spell accommodate.

Quote:
illegal aliens who have no right to be in this country and be discriminated against in hiring practices for that reason?
There are many legal residents who prefer to speak Spanish, as is their constitutional right. What do you have against the Constitution?

Quote:
As I already said, Spanish speakers here legally or that are citizens of our country are bi-lingual for the most part so that still doesn't explain why a job would require Spanish.
I know you have said this, but you have not provided evidence that this is true, or whey it would matter. Some people prefer to speak Spanish. Good enough for me. If it benefits a company or agency to hire Spanish speakers to conduct their business more effectively, that sounds like a good management decision.

Quote:
They aren't special and accomodating illegal aliens linguistically is un-American. Done with you BS defenses of pandering to Spanish speaking illegal aliens because that is what this is really about!
There you go misspelling accommodate again. Who are you to decide what is American, or un-American? I prefer to welcome people of all types, learning from them, sharing my knowledge with them, and building a stronger, more resilient country together with them. If that means the person at the DMV can speak to me in English, and the next guy in Spanish, I think that is an amazingly good thing, and I am glad that some people have taken the personal initiative to learn Spanish in order to improve themselves.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Spanish is also very useful if you work in the court system, or health care, or any business that serves the public.
It is also useful if you want to travel to Central or South America or Spain. It is known by many other people across the planet, and if you have patience on both sides, can communicate on a very basic level with Italian speakers.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Possibly true, I have never seen comparisons as to how quickly other waves of immigrants have assimilated. Your big flaw here is thinking I care how quickly people assimilate linguistically. What language any given person speaks is not my concern, and the US Constitution backs up my viewpoint on this. People have freedom of expression, and if they want to express themselves in Spanish, Tagalog, English or Mandarin, it is all the same to me.

Possibly true. But now you are arguing about immigration rather than language. Two different topics, and you will note that I am not bothering to comment on immigration.

For somebody who is such a staunch advocate of English, you should probably learn how to spell accommodate.

There are many legal residents who prefer to speak Spanish, as is their constitutional right. What do you have against the Constitution?

I know you have said this, but you have not provided evidence that this is true, or whey it would matter. Some people prefer to speak Spanish. Good enough for me. If it benefits a company or agency to hire Spanish speakers to conduct their business more effectively, that sounds like a good management decision.

There you go misspelling accommodate again. Who are you to decide what is American, or un-American? I prefer to welcome people of all types, learning from them, sharing my knowledge with them, and building a stronger, more resilient country together with them. If that means the person at the DMV can speak to me in English, and the next guy in Spanish, I think that is an amazingly good thing, and I am glad that some people have taken the personal initiative to learn Spanish in order to improve themselves.
So you're glad that Americans have learned to speak Spanish, even though they live here in an English-speaking country, "in order to improve themselves"? Why don't you require that immigrants, who have chosen to move to an English-speaking country, learn the language of their adopted country?

You are applauding native-born Americans for learning a foreign language (up until now totally unnecessary because immigrants were expected to to learn English to fully function in their adopted country) yet not criticizing immigrants for refusing to learn the language of their new country? They CHOSE to come here. It's some nerve for them to immigrate here and expect that Americans will speak to them in their own language, and the liberals in government are enabling that attitude of entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies