Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2021, 03:18 PM

63,000 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HendrixFan View Post
I live in Texas and there are plenty of non English Spanish speaking folks. They are wonderful people. Hardworking and appreciative. My Spanish is pretty on point and they appreciate it when you can relate to their culture. Just my experience.
Being nice is irrelevant to this topic. Who are all of these non-English, Spanish speaking folks? My guess is that many if not most are illegal aliens as most here legally or that are citizens of our country are bi-lingual and know English also. Sorry, I don't consider law breakers, "nice".

Relate to their culture? How about them relating to ours since they are living in the U.S. by learning and speaking English?

Last edited by Oldglory; 09-17-2021 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2021, 03:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Latinos influx into this country is large and constant. It's much cheaper for them to have children here (especially with welfare systems in place) and they greatly outnumber other races when it comes to birthrates.

Is this trend going to slow down or ramp up?
Good. Spanish is a prettier language than English anyway. Better order your study guide now. LOL.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:24 PM

1,203 posts, read 619,316 times
Back in the 19th century, people were afraid the US would become a German speaking country. Assuming normal assimilation patterns by the second generation, relatively few will be speaking Spanish.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When we purchased those states from MX, the fine print stated: these areas of the U.S. will Always remain bi-lingual.

Americans are the laziest people in the world when it comes to learning a foreign language. If you lived in Germany, you'd have to know a little Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, English. The most multi-lingual people in the world are in Europe.

Americans have the easiest language in the world to learn, Spanish, and they can't even do that! Pure laziness!
Not learning a useless foreign language in an English speaking country does not make one lazy it makes them smart. If you don't use it, you lose it and most people here legally are bi-lingual. So we have our common language of English to communicate in. As I said, the only reason that Spanish is being pushed is because of illegal immigration from south of our border and I'll be damned if I'll learn Spanish to accomodate them!

I couldn't care less what the citizens of other countries do as it has nothing to do with us and we don't have to follow suit.

Stick your last remark where the sun don't shine! We didn't get to be the most successful country in the world by being lazy!

Old 09-17-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Even so they are a very tiny portion of Cubans who probably live in Hialeah and have no need to learn English in the small & limited world they live in.
The vast majority of Cubans in Miami are Bi-Lingual.
Try and get a job in Miami without knowing Spanish. Good luck with that! They may know English but they don't want to speak it and only want to do business in Spanish.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
The USA is very close to splitting apart. The new nations formed by various states would have different mixes of various languages. English and Spanish combining in a new language could happen in some nations. Both could evolve from regional dialects into new languages. Spanglish speakers in Florida may not understand Englomex speakers from Tejas.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Many parts of the USA are already there.

When will Spanish be the most common language used in the USA, hum, good question.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:13 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,631,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Try and get a job in Miami without knowing Spanish. Good luck with that! They may know English but they don't want to speak it and only want to do business in Spanish.
Are you from Miami?
I am and unless you are trying to just get a job making Cuban coffee in Little Havana you don't need to speak English to get that job.

Otherwise Miami is not your typical American city.
It is a major center of international trade and finance with Latin America.
Many American multinational companies & Banks have based their Latin American headquarters in the city because of the presence of so many well educated Bi-Lingual speakers who can conduct business in Spanish.

Miami is more of an "outlier" than anything else in America.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Are you from Miami?
I am and unless you are trying to just get a job making Cuban coffee in Little Havana you don't need to speak English to get that job.

Otherwise Miami is not your typical American city.
It is a major center of international trade and finance with Latin America.
Many American multinational companies & Banks have based their Latin American headquarters in the city because of the presence of so many well educated Bi-Lingual speakers who can conduct business in Spanish.

Miami is more of an "outlier" than anything else in America.
I'm talking about blue-collared jobs which has nothing to do with foreign trade and finance. No, I'm not from Miami but I know people who are and have read many articles about this. You're right, Miami is not your typical American city it is "Little Havana" much like some cities in the southwest that are "Little Mexico". Is that a good thing? I don't think so.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:11 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

Why lie? I was raised in Miami and lived there off and on over the years as an adult. Every position I held did not require me to speak Spanish, despite being more than able to as a native speaker. So much unnecessary drama...

Edit: And I couldn't use my Spanish professionally anyway. I'm second generation and my language skill wouldn't fly in a professional setting. Why? Because as it's been mentioned, subsequent generations lose their parents language. My eldest son doesn't speak a word of it, much to my mother's chagrin. Happy now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies