Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 12:50 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not really.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...far-this-year/

Hungary Has Stopped Over 54,000 People Crossing Border Illegally So Far This Year

Authorities in Hungary have prevented over 54,000 people from crossing the border illegally since the beginning of this year and prosecuted over 500 smugglers, the Chief Security Advisor György Bakondi has said.

According to him, such figures mark a huge increase from the same period one year earlier when a total of 17,000 illegal immigrants were caught by the police officials in Hungary, and 200 people smugglers were prosecuted...
What does this have to do with on shoring industries that we gave away ? I'm all for stopping the flow of illegals coming into this country. That would help for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 12:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
So 61% pay ZERO FEDERAL INCOME TAXES and Biden and the Democrats want to greatly increase entitlements, so it could get worse.

Do you think it's fair that 39% pay for 100% of the tax revenues? Are you part of the 61% who pay nothing or the 39% who pay for everyone?

Please leave out discussion of all the other taxes. This thread refers only to federal income taxes.

Please also leave out your flat rate tax ideas. Those have been discussed ad nauseam.

And if you think the 39% aren't paying enough, how much should they pay?

Is this system sustainable? Are a percentage of the 39% going to stop working altogether?
It is fully sustainable if we can increase the income tax to 99% on the richest 1%.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Stop subsidizing low wage workers and make companies pay their workers a livable wage. Very few Americans will work a job if they cannot live on it, unless they are a teenager living with their parents or something.

Taco Bell is paying workers $14 hr around here. White Castle is paying $15/hr and up. If they can pay these wages, there is no reason we shouldn't expect grocery stores and such to pay the same or more.
Good gracious that you are not appointed the dictator for the country.

No reason? I am sure every company is buying their materials at the same price as Taco Bell, processing their products at the same efficiency as Taco Bell, and being operated by the people with the same overhead. For some reason (must be greed), those companies just pocket more profit than paying their employees the same amount as Taco Bell! How dare them!

Old 09-22-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Another way to look at this, is how many of those 61% who don't pay income tax are working at what we deem "essential" jobs, by pandemic standards?

They're working hard, full time, wrecking their knees and backs, for the profit of private business and still not making enough money to be comfortable.

How about, instead of us considering that "we" are supporting "them", "they" are supporting the capitalist system that leads to incredible wealth for those at the top of the chain, who have completely healthy knees and backs?

Grocery store stocking clerks, fast food workers, big box employees, who we all NEED, maybe need to be seen as the givers and not the takers?
Nobody is working hard, full time, wrecking their knees and backs for the profit private businesses. None. There's no such thing. It's your complete fabrication of reality.

Everybody is working hard for benefiting himself or herself!!!

Everybody, either taking a job or running a business, is doing it for themselves.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody is working hard, full time, wrecking their knees and backs for the profit private businesses. None. There's no such thing. It's your complete fabrication of reality.

Everybody is working hard for benefiting himself or herself!!!

Everybody, either taking a job or running a business, is doing it for themselves.

It's one thing if you knowingly put yourself into possibly injurious positions to make good money. For example, a person who owns a profitable floor installation business spends the first several many years doing the installing himself.

And he is richly rewarded, if his business takes off.

I'm talking about the cashier who stands at the register all day every work day, and has to have back braces and knee braces because their joints get worn out.

And they don't make enough to have to pay federal income tax, or live comfortably.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:08 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
It's one thing if you knowingly put yourself into possibly injurious positions to make good money. For example, a person who owns a profitable floor installation business spends the first several many years doing the installing himself.

I'm talking about the cashier who stands at the register all day every work day, and has to have back braces and knee braces because their joints get worn out.

And they don't make enough to have to pay federal income tax, or live comfortably.
I guess the question would be, why would this person just stay at this job, year after year, never trying to better themselves ?

I once worked as a short order cook..it was one of the worst jobs I've ever had. I did the best I could when I was there, but also did what I could to find a better job, which I did. And repeated the same process over and over until I got my foot into the career I really wanted, enjoy, and make a good living at, which I'm still in 30 plus years later.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,151,678 times
Answer: of course it's not sustainable.
If this nonsense of paying everyone $ because they simply exist, the people who are working will retire en masse, and nothing will get done. Then, as I suspect has been the agenda all along, the government will step in and the citizenry will be in lockstep.
If this country does not reverse course soon, I'm afraid that the days of our republic will be gone, never to return.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:59 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,715,560 times
Quote:

So your answer is to require the employer to pay their employees more. Now, the employer has a choice they can raise prices in their store to make up for the difference or reduce their labor expenses. They chose the latter. They do this by installing self-service checkouts and let 1/3 of the employees go since they are no longer needed. Works out great for the employees who USED to be a cashier...right?

Of course, there is another option. The employee could show some self-initiative and work to find a better job with higher pay.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletHue View Post
Hahaha. Most of the people I see promoted are young folks who’s only skill is being able to act like their competent.

Lol....

Acting like you're competent is half the battle....

"Fake it until you make it".

I've known successful people who's only real skill is telling other people what to do and how they want it done.

But that can be a skill in itself.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:

So am I. I am talking about everybody.

If the cashier has a better thing to do, he wouldn't stand at the register all day. Please remember it is voluntary employment, not the slavery you have been advocating. The said cashier can go anywhere he likes anytime.

The only reason he is standing there is that there is NO better thing for him to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies