Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of President Jimmy Carter?
I'm a Democrat and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 9 12.33%
I'm a Democrat and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 5 6.85%
I'm a Democrat and think he was awful. 11 15.07%
I'm a Republican and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 6 8.22%
I'm a Republican and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 12 16.44%
I'm a Republican and think he was awful. 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 07:52 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,198,364 times

Advertisements

He was the antithesis of Nixon. We didn’t want a crook in the White House. I voted for him twice, but despite his intelligence, he was largely ineffectual. He could overthink things and seemed struck by paralysis due to too much analysis.

And we elected a mature, experienced, low-key politician because we were sick and tired of brash mean tweets. Deja vu much?

Old 10-24-2021, 10:34 AM

13,460 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
He is looking pretty pretty good right now.

yeah, if good to you is looking like the walking dead. I have never heard 1 person say "Man, I wish We can go back to the Carter's years, he took care of business" I remember as a kid waiting in long lines (miles) with my dad getting gasoline and inflation really high. Everybody under Carter was crapping on us, Iran, Middle East , Soviet Union and even Fidel Castro and the communists in Central America. We don't need Gandhi in the W.H. Power is useless if you refuse to use it and refuse to command respect at our expense.

He was a good officer to follow orders in WW 2 but he wasn't a good Commander in Chief. Big difference.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
He was the antithesis of Nixon. We didn’t want a crook in the White House. I voted for him twice, but despite his intelligence, he was largely ineffectual. He could overthink things and seemed struck by paralysis due to too much analysis.

And we elected a mature, experienced, low-key politician because we were sick and tired of brash mean tweets. Deja vu much?

Some didn't want a "crook" in the WH and they got an incompetent fool at our expense instead. I don't mind a "crook" if he takes care of business and bats for us and knows how to play poker. Carter let everybody around the world cr@p on us at our expense.

He should have wipe the floor with Iran and the Arabs in the Middle East with the oil prices. The Soviet Union thought he was a joke. Fidel Castro was just dumping on the U.S. and testing us and Carter look like Gandhi doing a Colgate commercial. It was pathetic that a nation with so much power would have this fool refuse to do his job. He should have been a minister and stayed in Georgia or a high school science teacher at a public school. He is not a poker player and he had no business at the W.H. He is what democracy gets you.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:50 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As expected, the OP has difficulty warping their mind into the concept of more than 2 flavors of political ice-cream.

Carter was a good and honest man, too much so for a job that requires (frankly) used car salesmen or poker players.

He deserved a Nobel Peace Prize for Egypt-Israel, he got one (before they redacted the wording) for the nuclear disarmament of NOrth Korea. Not his fault that the Nobel Peace Prize team is packed with morons.
Bingo! He's far too decent and good a man to deal with the douchebags in US politics.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Carter: good man, but “in over his head” is one way to put it.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:53 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post

This doesn’t make sense if you’re actually trying to compare Biden to Carter.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:58 AM

23,977 posts, read 15,086,618 times
One thing leads to another. The world does start all over again fresh and new with each new POTUS inauguration.

Sounds like many here would like to BOMB BOMB BOMB Iran into submission. They never say what they think the response would be. But leave the Saudis free to do whatever they damn well please. All for cheap gasoline.

Who got rid of the gold standard?

Who started the trend toward deregulation to bring prices down?

Old 10-24-2021, 11:00 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He was a wonderful man, horrible president. The truth was his good character was the very thing that made him ill equipped to be president. Those who study these things often say those we consider great national level leaders, along with military leaders, share many personality traits with psychopaths. If you think about it, it does make sense. Could you knowingly order 10,000 you men to almost certain death? Could you send a drone to bomb a man, understanding innocent people may be there? Could you live with the guilt of accidentally authorizing drone strike that killed 10 innocent people, including seven children? I couldn’t. Most people couldn’t. Carter’s moral compass was better aligned with mine than Bill Clinton, who was a very effective Democratic president.
Well said.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:11 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Jimmy Carter is a great man, but was a lousy president. Huge inflation and he tried to fight big oil. Big oil is our whole economy and still is. We are slowly creating other avenues for cheap energy, but it takes decades. You can't just do that during a presidential term.

He is a great man though. Better than most with all the housing he is involved in for those in need. He will go down as a great American as he should. Just didn't do a good job as president.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:31 AM

Why is he a "GREAT MAN"? for his intentions or his actual accomplishment? If I have a view of how the world should be and I fail miserably when I get to power, how is that a Great Man? Being naive at the expense of millions of people is not the same thing as a great person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies