Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of President Jimmy Carter?
I'm a Democrat and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 9 12.33%
I'm a Democrat and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 5 6.85%
I'm a Democrat and think he was awful. 11 15.07%
I'm a Republican and always thought he was a pretty good person and pretty good president. 6 8.22%
I'm a Republican and think he was, meh, okay but ineffectual. 12 16.44%
I'm a Republican and think he was awful. 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 11:45 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

I can't really answer the poll because I don't fit any of the choices.

I generally vote Republican, but I'm not a registered Republican, so I suppose that technically makes me an Independent. I've voted for Democrats in the past and probably will in the future.

Regarding Carter - I think he was and still is a fantastic person. He just wasn't a very good President. Maybe it was the times, or maybe he simply wasn't up to the job, or perhaps he was just of too high a character to hold the job.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:24 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Why is he a "GREAT MAN"? for his intentions or his actual accomplishment? If I have a view of how the world should be and I fail miserably when I get to power, how is that a Great Man? Being naive at the expense of millions of people is not the same thing as a great person.
I suspect Carter is the least naive as to the nature of men of all the POTUS. Like has been said before one needs to be a sociopath to be the leader of any organization.

And we know the majority of Americans are always looking to push somebody around. Manifest Destiny and all that. They damn sure wanted to punch somebody in the face after 9-1. And they did. Pity they picked the wrong target.

What would have been the result of beating up on Iran? Would that have brought the hostages home unharmed?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:33 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Jimmy who?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Your poll didn't account for the independents. I'm and independent and thought he was a terrible President, although I think Biden is worse.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:25 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Like has been said before one needs to be a sociopath to be the leader of any organization.

And we know the majority of Americans are always looking to push somebody around. Manifest Destiny and all that. They damn sure wanted to punch somebody in the face after 9-1. And they did. Pity they picked the wrong target.

What would have been the result of beating up on Iran? Would that have brought the hostages home unharmed?

Jimmy should have known what the job requires when he wanted be a skipper of a U.S. Nuclear Submarine and then the leader of the free world. Life is more complicated than running a peanut farm.

The people in charge didn't picked the wrong target after 9/11. It was well planned in the bigger picture. They didn't want a thug family they lost trust years prior to keep control of the region and a large % of oil. That's another topic.

What would be result for Iran? NOT let them hold Americans for 444 days making us look weak by the day that also caused trouble in other places. Putting harm to 52 Americans was their ultimate choice but they would understand there would be serious consequences if they take that route and part of that is making their country into a parking lot. Something Carter was too naive and too weak to use his power under the constitution which the people gave him.

If another country that is weaker in forces can seize our own and hold them captive with impunity for 444 days , we are no longer a nation to be feared or respected. Carter messed that up and it cost him.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 10-24-2021 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-24-2021, 04:56 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Jimmy should have known what the job requires when he wanted be a skipper of a U.S. Nuclear Submarine and then the leader of the free world. Life is more complicated than running a peanut farm.

The people in charge didn't picked the wrong target after 9/11. It was well planned in the bigger picture. They didn't want a thug family they lost trust years prior to keep control of the region and a large % of oil. That's another topic.

What would be result for Iran? NOT let them hold Americans for 444 days making us look weak by the day that also caused trouble in other places. Putting harm to 52 Americans was their ultimate choice but they would understand there would be serious consequences if they take that route and part of that is making their country into a parking lot. Something Carter was too naive and too weak to use his power under the constitution which the people gave him.

If another country that is weaker in forces can seize our own and hold them captive with impunity for 444 days , we are no longer a nation to be feared or respected. Carter messed that up and it cost him.
We all understand it cost him.

So, would making Iran a parking lot have returned those hostages home?

Beat the hell out of Iran to demonstrate to the world don't mess with the USA. And get the hostages killed. yes, that works

Old 10-24-2021, 05:38 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
He was a decent guy but a very lousy president... We would have done better if the US was on auto pilot.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:55 PM

9,511 posts, read 4,344,731 times
I'm a registered independent voter and remember when Carter was POTUS. He's a good man - which means he has no business in politics. As such, he was an incredibly ineffective President. I wish the world were different, but the reality is that truly good people are fighting an uphill battle in politics.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:00 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
He was a typical democrat but I loved the interest rate I got on my money.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:03 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
He was a typical democrat but I loved the interest rate I got on my money.
Yeah, borrow $1 from you to buy a bag of chips.

Pay you back $1.13 (with interest) a year later....turn and notice the bag of chips costs $1.10 now.

Kinda like what's going on now.

I know I'm not going to get a 6%+ pay raise so I'm taking a real world pay cut this year due to inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies