Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 04:57 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,275,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
How do you think giant old growth trees were cut down by men before power tools were invented?

See, there's all manner of these things called hand tools made for cutting everything from trees to blades of grass. They are operated by hand, powered by people power, used for thousands of years before power tools became popular. Lots of people still use hand tools. And a bonus is there are no emissions from hand tools.

It doesn't matter , CA doesn't thin their forest anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 05:11 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,581,400 times
So no RV generators. Oh wait, I can just replace my $800 gas generator with $30,000 worth of solar and still have no air conditioning or lights or fridge on cloudy days. Now THAT'S progress!

Old 10-11-2021, 05:13 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...174600432.html

All sales of off road gas powered equipment banned
"This is a pretty modest approach " Marc Berman, the bill's author, told the outlet."

I'd hate to se what he describes as NOT moderate.

Off roading, dune buggies, etc. are BIG business in Ca.

Looks like even MORE will be moving out!

Old 10-11-2021, 05:36 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I don't see the big deal here. This is a states rights issue. Let them do as they wish. The biggest leaps in the progress of mankind tend to come from the pioneers. Maybe the free market will devise better alternatives than the plug in electric garbage we have now. Yes the progressives are a bit nutty but without "progressives" our species would never have evolved... Those first scientists telling the sheeple at the time that the earth was round and not the center of the universe...I have respect for what CA is trying to accomplish.

I heard a poster say that where CA goes the rest of the country follows...maybe not entirely but to some extent. Like it or not life and culture and the universe are not static...change is a constant to living in this matrix. The fact is many of these small 2 and 4 stroke engines are some of the biggest polluters... It's only a matter of time before a better alternative comes along.
Paragraph 2 contradicts paragraph 1. Also, as with "private businesses" just because something is done at the state level doesn't mean people can't criticize it. Yes it's better to handle things at the state level, and let California stand as an example to the rest of us of what not to do. You give a good cause to worry that flies against the message in the rest of your post when you mention that what happens in California may spread to other states though, and you highlight why it is important to criticize other states when they pass laws that you think are insane, and how such criticism does not contradict a state's rights point of view in any way.

It sounds more to me like you just think it's a good law anyway and the whole state's rights thing was just thrown in there as a diversion. You hope to see that law passed in all of the states and the angle about California's individual state rights are a way to dance around the issue.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:44 AM

995 posts, read 510,771 times
I see a huge money-making opportunity in the near future. I just gotta load up the work van with all sorts of mowers, generators and weed trimmers and haul them out to California. Send a note to desperate landscapers to meet at an agreed-upon meeting site and let the bidding begin!

Easy money.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:47 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
In the mean time, they have the world's largest polluters sitting right off their shore, cargo ships.
Exactly. And one of those polluters dragged an anchor over a pipeline, causing even more pollution.

Yet it's the gas powered mowers that are the problem....

Good luck to all the small landscaping businesses, now they have to dump their gas powered things and switch to electric. Wonder how efficient it will be for them ?

Old 10-11-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"This is a pretty modest approach " Marc Berman, the bill's author, told the outlet."

I'd hate to se what he describes as NOT moderate.

Off roading, dune buggies, etc. are BIG business in Ca.

Looks like even MORE will be moving out!
Exactly. It isn't uncommon to see a $200k sand car, and just as much into the toy hauler / camper out in Glamis.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:53 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Exactly. It isn't uncommon to see a $200k sand car, and just as much into the toy hauler / camper out in Glamis.
I'm sure there will be loopholes that people who can afford a $200k sand car will be able to exploit.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I'm sure there will be loopholes that people who can afford a $200k sand car will be able to exploit.
What about the businesses that build them ?

Old 10-11-2021, 07:47 AM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Actually I do. I am well aware of the power and similar benefits of gasoline engines over electric. At the moment, they are far superior. However, emissions from small engines are significant, and California is pretty forward thinking.
Except with their power generation grid and fires etc. etc. etc. where when there are problems they blame "global warming".

How "forward thinking" is California when they apparently keep getting caught off-guard by global warming affects that they've known about for decades?

On top of that, they've been pushing zero emission nuclear out of the state and passing laws aimed towards increasing electric demand but apparently have no real plan as to how they're going to replace all that lost electricity generation especially as hydro sources are imperiled by low water levels?

I have no problem with being forward thinking but you have to be able to execute on initiatives in reality.

P.S. They've also managed to create some of the highest, fastest rising electricity rates in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies