Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Gruden resigned.
Not arrested or jailed. No law was involved.
This is exactly what sorting themselves out naturally looks like. A business decision by a private business who decided he was more negative than positive for their organization.
Running their business how they see fit.

Gaze away.
I don't disagree with this.
I was responding to other posts, not the situation at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 10:37 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There absolutely are plenty of people who have said/done stupid things and haven't faced much in the way of consequences. That's a problem. But a bigger problem is that people seem to have lost the ability to look at each situation individually. If you were to look at this situation individually rather than lumped in with any any/all perceived instance of "cancel culture" or "wokeism," it'd be pretty easy to see that Gruden dug his own grave here. The derogatory language he used will undoubtedly get the media spotlight here in 2021, but the bigger issue from a strictly business standpoint is that said a lot of things that undermine his ability to perform his job and unnecessarily put the organization at a disadvantage in terms of player recruitment/retention, treatment by league leadership, treatment by officials, etc. If your actions put your company at a recruitment disadvantage and put you in a bad position with the powers that be, you're likely going to get fired. That's what happened here.
Again, I don't fully disagree. He ultimately was his own problem.
As a casual observer, I just take issue with the double standards and the fact that had it been a lot more minor, like a one-off, he still would face similar consequences.
That's the issue I have here.
I'd rather forgive, forget, and move on from all of it, rather than nitpick to the point people lose their jobs and livelihood over pretty much anything. The exception would be very severe circumstances.
We live in an age that is losing its ability to see the middle ground. One extreme isn't better than the other.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I don't disagree with this.
I was responding to other posts, not the situation at hand.
Then why the "buts"?

There are no buts. This is the situation.

Gruden was a highly visible, highly paid employee of a highly visible private organization. He was also in a position of power and authority over a very diverse workforce - as well as in a position of needing to successfully work and coordinate with others. His actions made it very unlikely he could effectively perform his duties.

He was stupid in a way that his employer decided was unacceptable and he was allowed to resign.

No buts.

End. Of. Story.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:46 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Aren't emails supposed to be PRIVATE?

The fact that our emails are fair game should disturb every decent persom, imo.
You actually believe that sending an email to someone else, who then has control of that content to do whatever they wish, makes it "private"? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't had your coffee yet.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:11 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
It surprises me he didn't try the old 'It was only locker-room talk' defense.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You actually believe that sending an email to someone else, who then has control of that content to do whatever they wish, makes it "private"? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't had your coffee yet.
And sending it not to their personal email but to their employer email address.

Old 10-12-2021, 11:39 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
To put something like that in print about people you work with is unprofessional. Regular people can joke or use an appropriate word and it's not a big deal since we don't work with or work for the ones being insulted.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times
Don't blame wokeness for rank unprofessionalism. I seem to be in the minority in thinking that the more money you make and the more responsibility you have, be it as the shift manager at Burger King, an Army E-3, a NFL Head Coach, or the POTUS, the more you should be held accountable for constant and careful professionalism, not less

Old 10-12-2021, 12:09 PM

638 posts, read 240,813 times
So if we went thru every coaches background and fired everyone that laughed at the gays or blacks, who exactly would be left to coach?

Old 10-12-2021, 12:11 PM

1,939 posts, read 825,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Something I learned very fast working in government…..bodes well for everyone else:

NEVER put in an email what you will see on the front page of your local newspaper.

Does not matter how long ago.
People are being cancelled for saying/doing things that were not cancelable when they said them. Rule number 2. Use VPN and a fake ID when you say anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies