Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:29 AM

1,665 posts, read 975,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
we already use it in some things like a liter of coke. so theres' that.
Literacola. (Super Troopers)

Just couldn't pass it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 05:30 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Every other country uses it. So do you think it would even be possible?

Why do you think it's necessary?

Old 11-11-2021, 05:31 AM

4,549 posts, read 2,273,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Every other country uses it. So do you think it would even be possible?

We already tried it. It was a massive failure.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:56 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
3 countries use the imperial system - USA, Liberia and Myanmar. But the medical and scientific people all use it . I think back then maybe was harder - but with new math, kids are learning it.
In England people drink pints of beer, they buy cheese by the ounce, their distances are just as frequently in yards as meters and the average British male is 5 foot 9 inches with a weight of 15 stone.

Point being that the UK has been struggling with this for decades so it's not just us, Myanmar and Liberia.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-11-2021 at 06:09 AM..

Old 11-11-2021, 05:59 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
Should we? Without question. Metric is vastly superior in almost every way.

That means of course the US will never do it.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
We already tried it. It was a massive failure.
When?

Old 11-11-2021, 06:07 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I don’t like the metric system. I’m always spending that extra step converting metrics so my brain can understand it.

I don’t know how fast 120KM really is, it doesn’t mean anything to me, but 75 mph, I get it completely.

That’s just one example of thousands.

I absolutely refuse to change.

But I’m surprised that leftists haven’t made this a major political issue yet? Surely, this could be another way to divide us? Probably not too many Trump supporters want the metric system.

This doesn't make sense. This is like saying I don't like to learn Spanish, German, Italian or any other foreign language because I have to first convert a word in those languages back into English. You're doing it wrong. If you associate a word in say Spanish with the object itself without translating back to English you will learn much faster. The same for the metric system. When you see a liter, you already know how much volume it is. There's no need to convert to ounces. If you run a km, you already know how far it is, you don't back convert to miles. If you have ever had science education you use metric. Engineering is taugt using metric. All medicine is in metric. What does did your doc prescribe and what did the pharmacist hand out? They sure as hell ain't dispensing medications in terms of ounces of active substance. Dosages of pills are always based on milligrams etc. It's based on SI units, which are metric of course. Metric is the universal language of science, engineering, and medicine with the exception of very, very very few cases. The world institutes SI standards for a reason, and it is all metric. Lol, the meter is extremely precise and based off of how far light travels in a second in a vacuum. How do you rigorously define something like a foot, inch, etc.?

Old 11-11-2021, 06:08 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I don’t like the metric system. I’m always spending that extra step converting metrics so my brain can understand it.

I don’t know how fast 120KM really is, it doesn’t mean anything to me, but 75 mph, I get it completely.

That’s just one example of thousands.

I absolutely refuse to change.

But I’m surprised that leftists haven’t made this a major political issue yet? Surely, this could be another way to divide us? Probably not too many Trump supporters want the metric system.
You have to convert from 1/16s to inches, inches to yard, yards to miles. So what is the difference in converting from 1/100 to 1/10 to 1 meter?

Just as when you grew up learning 75 mph you and learn to know how fast is 120 KM. How, by driving at 120 KM and realize it feels the same as 75 mph.

When you think about it, it is easier to mentally arrive to a more accurate answer in the metric system. You know that one meter is 10 decimeters right away. Actually, let me share my own experience as a teacher. When I start a math class, the middle schoolers have a hard time converting from inches to larger measurements in math problems. However, after a little of mental pain, the find it easy to handle decimal conversions mentally.

I grew up with the metric system in Mexico, and it was not much of a problem to learn inches, yards, and miles.

To me it is a matter of attitude because people have learn to live with both systems.
You have a great day.
elamigo

Old 11-11-2021, 06:22 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
Most of us already know how big is a millimeter. So much clearer than some fraction of an inch. In grade school, we always had those wooden meter sticks in the classroom. And the car's speedometer is in both miles and kilometers. Switching would be easy, we just don't want to.
Yes just thought not just medical folks but mechanics and carpentry use metrics. And you are right people just don’t want to. At least the boomers n older generations. The kids adapted to new math

Old 11-11-2021, 06:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,234,977 times
The Dems could try - just call the current standard system "racist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies