Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 09:42 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would cost US public and private sectors billions, maybe trillions to switch over...so I just don't see someone making a successful case for this regardless of politics.

Think about all the tools and mechanical items that are all currently non-metric...cars, trucks tractors, washing machine couplings, sink fittings Then the street signs at probably $200 a pop to replace x how many hundred million signs?

Maybe while we're at it we can get all the countries that drive on the left to switch to driving on the right for consistency.

I don't know about trillions. I see no reason to make the switch. But vehicles coming from Europe and Asia have had metric parts all along. I have metric tools just for my own vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:47 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't know about trillions. I see no reason to make the switch. But vehicles coming from Europe and Asia have had metric parts all along. I have metric tools just for my own vehicles.

This is an area where metric makes a ton (lol) of sense. Its much easier to know that a 9mm socket is smaller then a 10mm. Which is bigger, 11/32 or 5/8?

Old 11-11-2021, 09:57 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,936,071 times
The metric system is logical and easy to use. So of course, the US will never adopt it.

I'm curious why we switched to metric in just a few instances. For example, car engine displacement is always given in liters, not in cubic inches any more. Wine is sold in either 3L or 750 mL bottles. Camera lenses are 35 mm, not 1 inch. Running events are 5k or 10k. Doses of medicine are in mL or mg. Illegal drugs are sold by the gram or the kilo.

It seems that we accepted all those with no problem, yet nobody can figure out if 100 km/hr is too fast?

Old 11-11-2021, 10:47 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Not every other country uses it, and this was tried in the '70s.

We use it here, you know. We also use the imperial system. It just depends on what we're measuring. I guarantee that you've got 10mm nuts attached to bolts on a ton of the things you own, for instance.
Only 3 use imperial but there are a mix of systems all over. We are truly a mix depending on what- like mentioned- medical and mechanical fields

Old 11-11-2021, 10:54 AM

30,172 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The metric system is logical and easy to use. So of course, the US will never adopt it.

I'm curious why we switched to metric in just a few instances. For example, car engine displacement is always given in liters, not in cubic inches any more. Wine is sold in either 3L or 750 mL bottles. Camera lenses are 35 mm, not 1 inch. Running events are 5k or 10k. Doses of medicine are in mL or mg. Illegal drugs are sold by the gram or the kilo.

It seems that we accepted all those with no problem, yet nobody can figure out if 100 km/hr is too fast?
People in the illegal drug trade know their metric I suppose.

If you take hwy 19 South of Tucson its in km/hr and distance is in km. Its the highway to Nogales, Mexico. You sometimes see people with Mexican plates on the highways north in Tucson driving 45mph where the limit is 65 or 70. I assume they are driving 65km assuming that is the speed limit.

I-19, America's Only Metric Interstate

After a short-lived attempt to bring America in line with the rest of the world, this road was left in metric.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:24 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
I like what we have .. they can keep their metrics..

Old 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,363,742 times
I understand that the metric system is actually easier to understand and more logical, but I don’t mind using imperial units. Not sure it’s worth the time and effort to mandate some type of move toward the metric system in the US. We seem to be getting by just fine using a combination of units.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:48 AM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Every other country uses it. So do you think it would even be possible?
We've tried it before and it didn't work. My city even had speed limits in km/hr at one time (along with mph), so they eventually removed them.

I worked in a technical field for many years and it was very hard to get engineers to work with the metric system. Scientists would to a certain extent, but it wasn't widespread. Remember when one of the Mars missions failed because the US engineers used English units but the European partners used metric?

Canada has made the conversion, successfully at least on the surface. It's going to pretty much be a generational thing where kids are exposed to it from the start. When I took physics in high school, we worked in the metric system but in college they taught it using English units. It was pretty confusing at first because I was used to gravitational acceleration being 9.8 m/(sec squared) instead of 32.2 ft/(sec squared).

Old 11-11-2021, 11:53 AM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Presumably foreign owned vehicle companies (like Toyota, Mercedes) use metric nuts and bolts even though some of their vehicles are made in the US.

Old 11-11-2021, 01:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Canadian here. I'm the generation that started out with the American system (inches, Fahrenheit etc.).....Canadians have adapted -- even the old people -- to complete metric.

It took me -- one trip to the grocery store to figure out that I needed 400 grams of sliced turkey or 1 kg. of beef.

It should be easier in today's world of phones and easy conversion charts.

But no Americans won't do it.....they can't.
I'm being a bit of a stickler there, but Canada never used " the American system ". The Canadian Imperial System was almost the same as the British one, except we didn't use stone for a weight measurement.

There is a difference between a US gallon and the former Canadian one, a difference in fluid ounces as well.
Same with a pint. A US pint is 16 US ounces, a Canadian pint is 20 Imperial ounces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies