Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 09:05 AM

4,656 posts, read 1,949,182 times

Advertisements

Not a chance, I was in elementary school in the mid 1970's when there was a big push for this. I have clear memories of all the teachers telling us we would need to learn it for the future since the rest of the World did it. Still waiting.....of course those same teachers were warning us of the dangers of Global Cooling, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Not every other country uses it, and this was tried in the '70s.

We use it here, you know. We also use the imperial system. It just depends on what we're measuring. I guarantee that you've got 10mm nuts attached to bolts on a ton of the things you own, for instance.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:11 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think back then maybe was harder - but with new math, kids are learning it.
LOL.... for so many reasons

the arrogance of people today....

Old 11-11-2021, 09:16 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I don’t like the metric system. I’m always spending that extra step converting metrics so my brain can understand it.

I don’t know how fast 120KM really is, it doesn’t mean anything to me, but 75 mph, I get it completely.

That’s just one example of thousands.

I absolutely refuse to change.

But I’m surprised that leftists haven’t made this a major political issue yet? Surely, this could be another way to divide us? Probably not too many Trump supporters want the metric system.
From personal experience of living in a country that changed systems and then moving and having to change systems again.
Sure in the short term there is some learning curve, but it really isn't as difficult as you think.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:18 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would cost US public and private sectors billions, maybe trillions to switch over...so I just don't see someone making a successful case for this regardless of politics.

Think about all the tools and mechanical items that are all currently non-metric...cars, trucks tractors, washing machine couplings, sink fittings Then the street signs at probably $200 a pop to replace x how many hundred million signs?

Maybe while we're at it we can get all the countries that drive on the left to switch to driving on the right for consistency.
I'm left handed, and when traveling and driving in countries where driving is on the left, my American trip mates have always been right handed.

I've found it easy to switch over/to adapt (and later, to switch back).

Not so with my right handed traveling companions, so I've ended up doing almost all of the driving.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:20 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Which reminds me, do you know what they call a quarter pounder in France?

The line from Pulp Fiction......Royale with cheese.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It would cost US public and private sectors billions, maybe trillions to switch over...so I just don't see someone making a successful case for this regardless of politics.

Think about all the tools and mechanical items that are all currently non-metric...cars, trucks tractors, washing machine couplings, sink fittings Then the street signs at probably $200 a pop to replace x how many hundred million signs?

Maybe while we're at it we can get all the countries that drive on the left to switch to driving on the right for consistency.
Never even considered the cost factor.

In Canada the conversion to metric was so gradual that I don't think there was an obvious HIT financially.

I don't remember any business complaining about the financial impact of the changes.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:27 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,928,283 times
Quote:

Spoken like a true dinosaur

Old 11-11-2021, 09:27 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
I don’t like the metric system. I’m always spending that extra step converting metrics so my brain can understand it.

I don’t know how fast 120KM really is, it doesn’t mean anything to me, but 75 mph, I get it completely.

That’s just one example of thousands.

But I’m surprised that leftists haven’t made this a major political issue yet? Surely, this could be another way to divide us? Probably not too many Trump supporters want the metric system.
I spend half my time in the USA, the other in Canada, which has the metric system. I have no problem adapting from one to the other within a day or two.

Metric is easy to use. However, due to many oldtimers like me, many things are still referenced in pounds, inches and feet. Much easier to say 2x4 for lumber than the metric equivalent. And a baby is 7 lbs 3 oz when discussing it, not the metric weight.

The inanity of the English system takes more than a generation to get rid of. It doesn't help that Canada and the USA are so closely inter-related in so many ways. However, I bet your mechanic uses metric much more than the old standard!

Old 11-11-2021, 09:34 AM

25,439 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Every other country uses it. So do you think it would even be possible?
No. They were talking about it in the 60s when I was in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies