Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2021, 02:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

I don't know the state by state statistics but from what I've seen on social media Black on Asian hate crime seems to be mostly a Northeast thing rather than nationwide. Haven't seen any such attack videos out of Mississippi or Kansas yet.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:58 PM

13,749 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are alot of holes in this.

1) That family could end up going some place where they aren't wanted. They could end up being shunned by some of the residents in some communities. It depends on where they go. How can you join regular society if you're shunned by it?

2) Said kids might not learn from the higher echelons of the non-Black population. One classmate of mine is a good example. He was kind of a hood rat (he was a step child, so he was nothing like his siblings). He gravitated to the "trailer trash" types. He gravitated to some of the underclass White druggy types. That could be another thing that could happen. If said kids do assimilate, they might end up assimilated into the White underclass. Rather ironic considering the White kids who bullied me the most were frequently those from the underclass subculture.

I agree the AA mother will likely end up feeling ostracized and she's free to move if she wants.

But if she expects to receive public assistance which includes housing... she doesn't get to choose where.

As for the children. Not all will thrive but then not all children do esp. those raised on public assistance.
Nevertheless it is certainly worth a try.

The AA mother and her three children need to be completely removed from their environment. Again nothing prevents the AA mother from moving. However, if she wants to collect public assistance/housing she doesn't get to decide where.

Last edited by john3232; 11-19-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 03:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Having grown up in a large city up north with a huge Asian immigrant population (especially Chinese and Indian), I know that a lot of Asians have a major problem with Blacks. Many Asians can be very racist, though I'm not saying Blacks aren't. They can be, as well.
From what I have viewed in my experience (and I am White), is that many Asians (especially older ones), tend to be a little suspicious of blacks (maybe slightly prejudice is the right term), but not racist. But in the flip side, they seem to be very respectful to blacks that are respectful and well-mannered.

As an example, if a group of blacks dressed a certain way and talking a certain way come into an Asian owned store or restaurant, they will likely be treated poorly (and many may claim it’s racism). But if a group of blacks come in well dressed and are respectful and not loud, I am almost positive they will be treated well. Asians, more than any group, seem to show a high level of respect back when people are respectful (including blacks). I’ve seen plenty of professional blacks in Asian establishments with no problems.

Of course every group has racists, but I think the “major” problem many Asians have with blacks is more related to culture than “race” per se. The ones they have a major problem with are generally the ones that fall into the negative stereotypes (loud, aggressive, not speaking/dressing well, certain hairstyles, etc.).

Old 11-19-2021, 03:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I don't know the state by state statistics but from what I've seen on social media Black on Asian hate crime seems to be mostly a Northeast thing rather than nationwide. Haven't seen any such attack videos out of Mississippi or Kansas yet.
And California.

Old 11-19-2021, 03:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
There’s wonderful human beings of all backgrounds, but I have to say over the course of my life in big cities, riding buses, trains etc, groups of young black teenagers can be rather loud, obnoxious, and potentially combustible. People are frightened I would bet imo. I’m sure there was Plenty of adult business people pretty nervous on those buses and trains imo. I hate to say it, but it’s what I’ve witnessed thru out my life. I guess it’s the inner city influences with some younger inner city youth.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 11-19-2021 at 03:58 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 04:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
There’s wonderful human beings of all backgrounds, but I have to say over the course of my life in big cities, riding buses, trains etc, groups of young black teenagers can be rather loud, obnoxious, and potentially combustible. People are frightened I would bet. I’m sure there was Plenty of adult business people pretty nervous on those buses and trains imo. I hate to say it, but it’s what I’ve witnessed thru out my life. That was a brutal beating. Horrible to see. If you attempt to defend yourself, you may go to jail too. I had friends from Africa, Ghana, Congo, etc, lovely bunch, gentle souls, sweethearts, very educated. I guess it’s the inner city influences with some younger inner city youth.
This has unfortunately been my experience too. Riding public transit in Chicago pre-pandemic, almost anytime there was loud disruptive people, it was almost always unfortunately African Americans, many times young. There are many times lots of younger Hispanics on the trains too, but they are rarely disruptive and they know how to behave in public.

The worst experience I ever saw of this was a group of black teens on the metro in Washington DC. A group of about 10 came on a train, started yelling, using the N word, and almost got into a fight. Everyone was so uncomfortable, that almost every other passenger got off at the next stop and just got onto a different train.

Agree, that I never witness this type of behavior from Africans. It is almost always African Americans.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This has unfortunately been my experience too. Riding public transit in Chicago pre-pandemic, almost anytime there was loud disruptive people, it was almost always unfortunately African Americans, many times young. There are many times lots of younger Hispanics on the trains too, but they are rarely disruptive and they know how to behave in public.

The worst experience I ever saw of this was a group of black teens on the metro in Washington DC. A group of about 10 came on a train, started yelling, using the N word, and almost got into a fight. Everyone was so uncomfortable, that almost every other passenger got off at the next stop and just got onto a different train.

Agree, that I never witness this type of behavior from Africans. It is almost always African Americans.
I’ve seen it in lots of cities as I’m well traveled. It’s a somewhat consistent thing imo. Seattle the same way on buses at times when i lived there. Cursing, yelling, loud as heck….business people sitting there in uneasy silence. I’ve had lovely friends from Africa. I hung out with a group of Yemenite’s, guys from Lebanon , Sudan, and various parts of Africa. There was a tight group of us. I was also very familiar with their opinions as well. It was all about attitude, not skin color.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 11-19-2021 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 04:37 PM

13,749 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
There’s wonderful human beings of all backgrounds, but I have to say over the course of my life in big cities, riding buses, trains etc, groups of young black teenagers can be rather loud, obnoxious, and potentially combustible. People are frightened I would bet imo. I’m sure there was Plenty of adult business people pretty nervous on those buses and trains imo. I hate to say it, but it’s what I’ve witnessed thru out my life. I guess it’s the inner city influences with some younger inner city youth
I grew up in San Francisco during the 60's and 70's when SF had a much higher percentage of AA. Close to 30% if I recall. (Today 5.2%)

Now, the reason the Muni bus drivers stopped providing change was because of the robberies. I never witnessed a robbery but I saw a number of beatings. Can still recall the woman whose purse got tangled up around her arm. I was around ten at the time and watched as two AA males stomp the woman seemingly half to death.

Back then you might get on a bus and see a group of Black teens in back. They would often have their feet up on the seat so no one could sit next to them. Who wants to deal with that crap? Usually nobody. So, passengers would stay standing toward the front of the bus.

During the early 70's blaxploitation films were all the rage and I was a big fan. However, I understood I had to be very careful where I sat in the movie theater. I always sat near the back and close to an exit door. There's a flick called "Education of Sonny Carson" (1974) and a scene where the main character is getting beaten up by the police.

As this was happening on the screen several Black males started to beat on a White man seated nearby also watching the move.

At which point I got up and quickly left the theater.

Last edited by john3232; 11-19-2021 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 05:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It's not black skin that causes criminality and dysfunction, and it's not Asian skin that causes educational success and financial prosperity. It's culture. The culture that leads to success and prosperity is available to everyone, of every skin color, here in America. If only everyone would avail themselves of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Amen! This is what I always say. Nothing has anything to do with skin color, but everything has to do with culture.
Skin color or culture? If your aim is to actually understand, rather than just to feel better about things, this is not a good place to start.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I grew up in San Francisco during the 60's and 70's when SF had a much higher percentage of AA. Close to 30% if I recall. (Today 5.2%)

Now, the reason the Muni bus drivers stopped providing change was because of the robberies. I never witnessed a robbery but I saw a number of beatings. Can still recall the woman whose purse got tangled up around her arm. I was around ten at the time and watched as two AA males stomp the woman seemingly half to death.

Back then you might get on a bus and see a group of Black teens in back. They would often have their feet up on the seat so no one could sit next to them. Who wants to deal with that crap? Usually nobody. So, passengers would stay standing toward the front of the bus.

During the early 70's blaxploitation films were all the rage and I was a big fan. However, I understood I had to be very careful where I sat in the movie theater. I always sat near the back and close to an exit door. There's a flick called "Education of Sonny Carson" (1974) and a scene where the main character is getting beaten up by the police.

As this was happening on the screen several Black males started to beat on a White man seated nearby also watching the move.

At which point I got up and quickly left the theater.
I witnessed it all the time 40 years ago in NYC. And I’ve witnessed it recently as well. It’s not changed much sadly, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies