Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2022, 06:42 AM

11,919 posts, read 6,243,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
A defendant has to have legal representation in court. Otherwise it is simply not a fair trial. I can't think of another trial in history, that was done with absolutely no defence present in court. I don't think this sham of a trial could happen in any other country. I don't think this could happen in North Korea, I don't think it could happen Saudi Arabia. It's just a violation of US and international laws.
A defendant does not have to have legal representation at trial. He has to be offered legal representation. In this case, the defendant refused the offer.

Representing Yourself in a Criminal Trial

The case that established that defendants have a right to represent themselves was Faretta v. California, U.S. Sup. Ct. 1975. The Faretta case said that a judge must allow self-representation if a defendant is competent to understand and participate in the court proceedings.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...inal-case.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:46 AM

6,831 posts, read 14,083,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You think? I just see a guy who committed a horrific act for apparently no real reason. I’d prefer he have effective counsel so this matter can be closed out ASAP for everyone involved. The verdict of the trial isn’t in question….dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s so we can move on.

This is the exact same way I see it.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:52 AM

15,511 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What does the above have to do with this case?

Nothing.

He has representation. He opted to represent himself.

Take your propaganda elsewhere.
Because You can't understand it, doesn't mean it has nothing to do with the case.

He is not even in the court to represent himself. That means he has no representation. You realize this will just lead to a retrial right?

Old 10-07-2022, 08:01 AM

15,511 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A defendant does not have to have legal representation at trial. He has to be offered legal representation. In this case, the defendant refused the offer.

Representing Yourself in a Criminal Trial

The case that established that defendants have a right to represent themselves was Faretta v. California, U.S. Sup. Ct. 1975. The Faretta case said that a judge must allow self-representation if a defendant is competent to understand and participate in the court proceedings.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...inal-case.html
Most people can see that he is not competent to participate in the court proceedings. The judge can see that too. That's why she has removed him from the proceedings.

The judge's rulings make no sense. First she ruled that he was competent to participate in the court proceedings. Then she removed him from the courtroom, due to his incompetence.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:54 AM

8,351 posts, read 3,561,448 times
Quote:
Most people can see that he is not competent to participate in the court proceedings. The judge can see that too. That's why she has removed him from the proceedings.

The judge's rulings make no sense. First she ruled that he was competent to participate in the court proceedings. Then she removed him from the courtroom, due to his incompetence.
He was not removed for incompetence. He was removed for bad behavior. Personality disorders do not make someone incompetent. He is deploying behavior to try to stall the proceedings.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:44 AM

45,760 posts, read 27,410,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
He was not removed for incompetence. He was removed for bad behavior. Personality disorders do not make someone incompetent. He is deploying behavior to try to stall the proceedings.
... is an insanity plea involved in his behavior?

Death penalty would wipeout all of this nonsense.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:45 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,221,157 times
Quote:
Yes, I do think the M'Naghten rule should apply to him, but I doubt it will be applied. What part of English common law would apply?
The settled right to confront one's accusers, for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Also the time when this thread was created is significant. The attack occurred about the time Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty, and many were expecting violence in response to that. Hence the reason I posted this thread here, since it seemed possible that it was a politically motivated attack.
Wasn't the guy in the middle of a domestic dispute before the incident? It sounds more like he snapped while in an emotional state.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:47 AM

8,351 posts, read 3,561,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
... is an insanity plea involved in his behavior?

Death penalty would wipeout all of this nonsense.
They don't have the death penalty in Wisconsin. He is deserving of it though.

Old 10-12-2022, 07:59 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,818,588 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBeWRSyD1M

Old 10-12-2022, 08:29 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,138,244 times
Quote:

Let him wave off legal counsel, make a fool in court, and get off Scott free. You don’t think that would start a whole new trend, real $&@ quick? Gotta be smart about this charade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies