Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 05:08 AM

30,523 posts, read 21,408,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Wouldn’t work if they haven’t been taking care of them.

And they probably haven’t.
They were taken apart years ago bro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 05:10 AM

30,523 posts, read 21,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I wish. They were taken apart years ago my man.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:28 AM

26,839 posts, read 22,655,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
I'll fix it.
Parental leave is 3 years, but only 1.5 is paid. The amount of the benefit is 40% of the average salary, but not less than the minimum rate and not more than the maximum. The minimum rate per month is about 7000 rub (~$95) and the maximum rate is about 30,000 rub (~$420).

Zim, I am getting confused here;
Is it what it used to be in Soviet Russia or in Putin's Russia?
Because Vincenze mentioned "communist country."

Old 12-10-2021, 05:29 AM

27,355 posts, read 13,605,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Putin is a dictator and he is friendly with the Oligarchs. Furthermore Russia has extreme income inequality (like the US).

But Americans seem to think Russia is like in the movie Die Hard. They think Moscow is a bunch of rundown commie blocks with a perpetual grey overcast.

That was true in the 1990s but not anymore. Moscow is a developed global city like London or New York. The Russian military has advanced air fighters and ground troops.

Yes their Navy is a few decades behind and the M1 Abrams is better than the standard Russian tank but they also have state of the art tech and robotics. They tested their first hypersonic missile in 2018, before China or the US.

Their economy is also not the size of Italy. Jake Tapper jokes on his program that Russia's economy is smaller than Italy but this is misleading. Russia had a larger economy before the Ruble tanked. If the Ruble were to shoot up vs. the dollar everything would change.

That is because the ranking of Russia below Italy comes from Nominal GDP. But if we use GDP PPP Russia is the world's fifth largest economy. It also has the lowest external debt to GDP ratio in the world.

So yeah their economy is smaller but it is more stable than the US economy and less prone to fluctuation. They have a larger foriegn reserves holding, and more untapped economic resources.

American media still mocks Russia because everyone here is stuck in the 1990s when people saw Russia as a heaping pile atop the ruins of the USSR. But it is not the 90s anymore, wake up.
The Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008 clearly demonstrated how outdated the Russian forces were.

Communications equipment didn't work and there were problems with vehicles and the supply chain.

The Russians have sought to improve there ground forces since then, although I don't believe a lot of what Putin and the Kremlin tried to feed the Russian media and public in terms of weapon capabilities.

As for NATO, I wouldn't underestimate it, as it's the most advanced military oraganisation in the world and collectively spent $1.2 Trillion on defence in 2021.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Russian invasion of Georgia in 2008 clearly demonstrated how outdated the Russian forces were.

Communications equipment didn't work and there were problems with vehicles and the supply chain.

The Russians have sought to improve there ground forces since then, although I don't believe a lot of what Putin and the Kremlin tried to feed the Russian media and public in terms of weapon capabilities.

As for NATO, I wouldn't underestimate it, as it's the most advanced military oraganisation in the world and collectively spent $1.2 Trillion on defence in 2021.

So why that war lasted like.. several days only, if the so-called "Russian invasion" clearly demonstrated... whatever you are saying?
Wasn't Georgian army beefed up by American supplies?

Old 12-10-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So why that war lasted like.. several days only, if the so-called "Russian invasion" clearly demonstrated... whatever you are saying?
Wasn't Georgian army beefed up by American supplies?
Russian Performance in the Russo-Georgian War Revisited - War On the Rocks

Old 12-10-2021, 05:43 AM

BNW, it's rather a long read, but I scrolled through it and this is the bottom line;

"Russia’s own assessment of its military performance was quite critical after the war, particularly the abysmal work of the air force. Russia’s General Staff recognized the need to fundamentally reform the inherited Soviet mass-mobilization army to make it suitable for conflicts in the post-Soviet space. Remarkably, within the Russian defense establishment a successful war was used as a catalyst for military reforms and modernization."

Not only that, but they replaced that corrupt commander in charge of the army with Shoygu, who is quite capable and has the popularity among Russians next to Putin and Lavrov.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:48 AM

11,239 posts, read 8,336,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
1. Who exactly is underestimating Russia?
Exactly! It's not the current admin, or their supporters.

It's the last admin, who thought that Russian mis-information, and influencing us via social media was a joke and a hoax. It was the 'rent-a-degree' president who bought his way through Warton, who thought he could go 1:1 with Putin, without having the slightest understanding of global geo-politics.

Listen, I'm not touting Biden as some great statesman. I'm just saying he's been around, and while that may have some bad connotations, he has the experience and mental acuity (yeah, I said it) to understand the REAL threat Russia provides. He, nor anyone else is going to stop them with a single discussion, or even a 4-year term. But they'll keep them in check, better than the one who thinks he's smarter than everyone, while in fact not really understanding the landscape at all.

I'm not obsessed with Trump, so don't go there. But if you want to know who underestimated Putin (and China FTM), it was Trump and his supporters. They have an overly simplified view of a very complex situation, and have set us back more than most realize.

Sure, the regulars will call me naïve, they will call me a commie, they'll probably make jokes at our Commander In Chief's expense about how his life-long medical condition is evidence of his mental unwinding. That will all leave me mostly unaffected. Yeah, I'll be sad that so many people are blindly following a guy that doesn't understand the world any better than them, but otherwise, it's just a bunch of noise.

Who is underestimating Russia? The same people who overestimated our last POTUS, and I realize that this post wont do anything, other than possibly empower them more with their misinformation.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
BNW, it's rather a long read, but I scrolled through it and this is the bottom line;

"Russia’s own assessment of its military performance was quite critical after the war, particularly the abysmal work of the air force. Russia’s General Staff recognized the need to fundamentally reform the inherited Soviet mass-mobilization army to make it suitable for conflicts in the post-Soviet space. Remarkably, within the Russian defense establishment a successful war was used as a catalyst for military reforms and modernization."

Not only that, but they replaced that corrupt commander in charge of the army with Shoygu, who is quite capable and has the popularity among Russians next to Putin and Lavrov.

As I pointed out there were supply problems, communication problems, problems with other old equipment including vehicles and problems with the air force.

As a result Russian forces were reformed, with cuts to the size of forces and a concentration on quality rather than quantity.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,846,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

What a nonsense! This is what the BBC reports you 24/7/365. But the reality is completely different.
The Georgian army was trained by NATO military instructors and equipped with NATO weapons. But the Russian army not only stopped the Georgian war crime, but also forced them to flee. And all this happened in 2-3 hours. The complete destruction of ISIS clearly demonstrated the whole world how powerful and modern the Russian army is. No country could destroy ISIS, except Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies