Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 11:35 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,807,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I don't have the time or the patience to read anything else from you. You can believe whatever you like...no one has a gun to your head. It's simply refreshing to see that the "sky is falling" fear mongering narrative is not the case for many as a myriad of people in this thread also agree it is regional and they are having no problems. No belittling, just honest enough to realize it's not national (which is the point regardless of posters that try to mischaracterize the conversation). Have a blessed day.
Of you had bothered to read the 1st paragraph. Don't be a religious hypocrite as anyone who is true to their faith doesn't mock others and would have taken the time to read their response.

Old 02-26-2022, 02:42 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
For those who can't find dried pasta, it's really easy to make long noodles, like fettucine. I eat chickpea pasta because I have celiac disease, and it's rarely out of stock, but my daughter makes fresh pasta all the time. It's easy to make from very basic ingredients and doesn't require any special equipment other than a rolling pin. Just thought I'd mention it if you get a craving and the shelves are bare.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:47 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Good thing, actually. Fish is not healthy for cats.
That's tuna. I have never read nor been advised by a vet to not feed fish.

Tuna lacks specific nutrients cats need.

And the fish flavored does not contain any fish. It's liver, turkey and chicken mostly.

Old 02-26-2022, 04:50 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
For those who can't find dried pasta, it's really easy to make long noodles, like fettucine. I eat chickpea pasta because I have celiac disease, and it's rarely out of stock, but my daughter makes fresh pasta all the time. It's easy to make from very basic ingredients and doesn't require any special equipment other than a rolling pin. Just thought I'd mention it if you get a craving and the shelves are bare.
DD uses zucchini. They have a tool that shreds zucchini into spaghetti shape. She says once the sauce is on it she can't tell the difference.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:14 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
You are right. It's flour and water. Basically paper mache that sticks to the inside of your colon, lmao.

My dd is gluten-intolerant, although she does not have celiac. Trader Joe's makes a black bean pasta that works with certain sauces, and a rice pasta. They used to make a corn pasta that was excellent, but I haven't seen it in a while. Also lentil pasta, which is pretty good. I am not gluten-intolerant, but I like those types of non-wheat pastas. They are more substantial.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:21 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,791,151 times
Quote:
I have to eat wheat-free too, but actually all gluten-free pasta, crackers, and other dry good were out of stock at my local Wal-Mart last week. Yesterday, I found my favorite brand Jovial at another smaller grocer, so maybe it's a Wal-Mart stocking issue. Jovial only has two ingredients brown rice and water, it's not sticky or gummy like most gluten-free pastas are. Zucchini noodles are good too if you have a spiralizer, I don't.

Whether the lack of products on the shelves is a regional problem or national....we should just be thankful if it's not currently a problem. For the past two years during this pandemic, I have seen so many products or foods out of stock that I had never seen before, so I am happy it's not as bad as it was.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:05 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Ground beef is up to $6.99 in our local friendly Winn Dixie, and around that in the other grocery stores. It's gone up to around $4.99 or higher in our local Sam's Club here. No Costcos within a 40 mile range of here, and with gas at$3.59 a gallon here, I don't plan to travel to shop there.
Yeah, I had enough of that.

I recently purchased a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer.

Now, instead of buying ****ty pork sausage in the tube (really don't want to know what goes into that) for $2.99, I'm buying pork loin when it goes on sale for $1.99 and mixing in trimmings saved from ribs, pork chops, etc. to make my own superior breakfast sausage.

At some point in the near future I want to attempt making brats from the same lean mix.

I'm growing basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, lettuce and tomatoes in my bedroom with a homemade hydroponic system.

I've had great success with that, so I'll be expanding it and growing even more things - maybe bell peppers and cucumbers next.

I've also been making all my own bread for the past couple months.

The bread is fresh and cheap and the house smells great!

Old 02-27-2022, 07:21 AM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
I think more and more of us, at least those of us who have time, will be thinking of workarounds for the stuff we can't seem to buy. Maybe this thread could morph into something where these workarounds could be discussed?

I don't buy cakes and sweet loaf breads anymore but make my own. Dried fruits seem to still be available, and keeping a variety of those which can be added to any basic sweet loaf, makes sure you always have something around for coffee. I have a basic date nut bread and this past week used instead chopped dried apricots, raisins, and nuts. It was outstanding!

I don't know how to make pasta but would give it a go if I did. Don't you need one of those fancy cutters? How do you get the long skinny strings otherwise?

Old 02-27-2022, 08:41 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I think more and more of us, at least those of us who have time, will be thinking of workarounds for the stuff we can't seem to buy. Maybe this thread could morph into something where these workarounds could be discussed?
I think it already has. Nothing wrong with that at all. It also appears (based on comments from a few posters) that the cat food issue is best solved by going to a pet food store.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:52 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
FOOD PRICES will continue to go up,stock up on canned and dry goods now-rice,flour,pasta,canned food.
if you notice,plenty of our fresh produce comes from Mexico,Mexico does not have enough refinery altho it does produce oil ,it buys gasoline,jet fuel from us and it buys natural gas from us,you know they wlll be paying more for our gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies