Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 09:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have actually not noticed that.
Most people are more like me and simply condemn Russia, with no real feelings one way or the other about Ukraine.
So you made it up, just so your pro-Russian stand had more legs.
Nice try.
It's not very clever to condemn someone without being in the know.
Russia is the only country I don't condemn.

Just today I read an interesting article on the Georgia-Russian war in 2008. In the West ignorant people (i.e. 95% of the population) still keep blaming that one on Russia as well, but then again, when you dig deeper, even the EU's own independent investigation admitted that it was Georgia's fault and Russia did not violate international law, unlike Georgia.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
There have been ironies during the course of Russia's special military operation. One of them, of course, was how quickly supporters of Ukraine believed and propagated outright lies ("ghost of Kiev") because those mendacious claims reflected what they wanted to be true.

Another irony is that some posters on C-D like a chorus condemn Russia while boldly promulgating the righteousness of the current Ukrainian government while ignoring the thorough corruption and filth and rot that many who hold significant positions in Ukraine today embody.

Yet another irony is that claim, likewise by certain C-D posters, that Russian statements are propaganda and that by default, posters like myself who have steadfastly stuck by the facts and supported Russia's special military operation are "Russian propagandists" and even "communists" and "Russian bots." Yet these very C-D posters fail to grasp that the recent Azovstal victory by Russia, where hundreds of Azov fighters surrendered (after having sworn to fight to the last drop of blood of the last combatant) is not a "defeat" but an "evacuation."

The irony here is that in the days of the Soviet Union, the publication "Pravda" was notorious for distorting facts with curious headlines. Yet here, Americans who were born and raised in the Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave are accepting the most shamelessly Pravda-esque lies about the Russian victory at the Azovstal steel works plant with the eagerness of the most fanatically sincere and convicted "true believers" among the old cadre of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

I have debated with, jousted with, and shown fact after fact after fact to other posters here, and yet again in my long years, I see that people will oftentimes simply not be moved by facts.

I can accept that. No one wants to admit to being wrong.

I do wonder though. If people could have been wrong - and they were - about Azovstal, might they be wrong on other things?

Posters here keep writing that Russia is losing and that Russia will lose, that Russia's military is a "laughingstock," that Russia will suffer losses, that the Ukrainians will win.

But if the ostensibly mighty and powerful and able Ukrainians got encircled and lost at Azovstal, then how will they beat back a larger and stronger and better-equipped army?

How will the Ukrainians expel the Russians given the latter have already achieved and are on their way to achieving further encirclements of Ukrainians en route to the total and thorough liberation of Donbass?

Just days ago, the former campaign manager of Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign admitted under oath in a courtroom that Hillary personally authorized the Russia-Trump collusion narrative. For more than half a decade, I debated with people (and lost friends and severed relationships with relatives in the process) who with every fiber of their beings were convinced Trump/Russia was truth, not fiction.

Now, they are nowhere to be seen, as no only did the Mueller probe reveal no collusion, but people from the Hillary camp are admitting Hillary was aware and on it from the start.

In the same way, is there any chance any of you pro-Ukraine posters will see one day that you were deceived?

As it is.

That which was hidden will be revealed, and the corruption, lies, deceptions, and crimes of the Maidan usurpers and their Nazi-like minions will come to light. Already, YouTube has footage of Azov's Mariupol quarters, with images of Hitler, with swastikas, with paraphernalia praising and glorifying Nazi Germany. Yet the MSM and by extension, C-D posters who follow it claim the Russian claim that there are Nazi elements in Ukraine is a lie (in part because Zelensky is a Jew).

Oh well.

Time will reveal all, as was the case with Clinton and Russiagate.

Russia is on its way to victory, and victory will be Russia's.

I agree with you on everything.

The problem is that people in the West have been brainwashed for years into thinking bad things about other countries, they are incapable of realizing their own mistake. It is like with religions/sects/cults. Tell a cult member that their absurd belief makes no sense, they just can't understand. Instead they will get all defensive and hateful because their brain doesn't allow them to think objectively and change their beliefs, anymore.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:04 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Just how long is the USA expected to fund this War? It is now 4 months into this Invasion. There seems to be no effort at all in ending the War. Maybe some thoughts on it but no action to end it. Billions of dollars have been sent to Ukraine and there is no end in sight. More and more billions will be asked for and sent over. While the COL here in the USA has skyrocketed, and the shortages of supplies for this that and everything is so out of control. I just don't see how its possible to keep this up, because its obvious far to many Americans are not making it. Americans can't afford outrageous increases in thier rents, gas, food, insurance, taxes. Virtually everything is so out of control in price. Something is going to collapse I can feel it. Yet there is a very noticeable complacency to the seriousness of the situation by the Gov't, as well as some Americans.

I would love the seriously messed up Federal Gov't to explain to Americans now and answer my question. How the Hell long are we suppose to sit back, and tolerate Billions of dollars from the taxes we are paying to fund yet another War? With no accountability from the US Gov't. While Americans themselves are struggling and nothing at all is being done about it. I have never seen in all my years how seriously messed up life in America has become. Yes most definitely something is going to give this can't go on.
I don't like this either but you have to admit this is a more worthy cause than the 20 years we spent in Afghanistan and Iraq, just that this is coming at a very bad time with added inflation.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't like this either but you have to admit this is a more worthy cause than the 20 years we spent in Afghanistan and Iraq, just that this is coming at a very bad time with added inflation.
I don't get that view. Russia is trying to end a civil war including attempted genocide, that has been going on for 8 years. How is it a worthy cause to try and prevent that from happening, and even more so supporting the rogue, corrupt, completely undemocratic nazi regime instead, that has been waging that civil war and genocide by ignoring legally binding international agreements (Minsk I and II)?!
You are simply on the wrong side, again. We should be supporting Russia, and we would, if the country were not Russia, but doing the very same thing.

Old 05-24-2022, 10:11 AM

4,872 posts, read 2,678,239 times
Quote:
BREAKING
Russia's invasion in its most active phase - Ukraine
Russia's military campaign in Ukraine has entered its most active phase, Ukrainian defence ministry spokesman Oleksandr Motuzyanyk says.

Russian forces are trying to encircle Ukrainian troops in two cities straddling the Siversky Donets river in eastern Ukraine - Severodonetsk and Lysychansk.

Ukraine says Russian forces had not given up attempts to cross the river.
this could be a tipping point..if the Russians get turned back here, it could be game over for them...or should they succeed, it might mean game over for Ukraine..

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61546571

Old 05-24-2022, 10:42 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
this could be a tipping point..if the Russians get turned back here, it could be game over for them...or should they succeed, it might mean game over for Ukraine..

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-61546571
Here's a really good analysis....will be intersting to see the ISW update today. The big question is how long will Russia be able to sustain these attacks before culmination on the battle field....and how much ground can Ukraine afford to lose in the process. This is a real war...live.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/...hould-we-worry

Old 05-24-2022, 11:01 AM

57,314 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't get that view. Russia is trying to end a civil war including attempted genocide, that has been going on for 8 years. How is it a worthy cause to try and prevent that from happening, and even more so supporting the rogue, corrupt, completely undemocratic nazi regime instead, that has been waging that civil war and genocide by ignoring legally binding international agreements (Minsk I and II)?!
You are simply on the wrong side, again. We should be supporting Russia, and we would, if the country were not Russia, but doing the very same thing.
I cannot support any country that attempts to annex another through force decimating cities and killing innocent civilians. We wouldn't be supporting any country attempting to increase their borders through brutal force and I'm not buying you personal opinion that they are Nazi's.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:10 AM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Oh but it's not.

Afghanistan - it was a response for September 11.

Afghanistan was a training ground for REAL ENEMY of the West.

Russia in this fight was actually a natural ally of the West.

But this was lost on many.

"Ukraine as anti Russia" project to fight Russians "till the last Ukrainian" was created artificially, and at the end only weakens America on a global stage.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:21 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Closed businesses and sanctions are doing that to the oligarchs in Russia as well as rank and file civilians. No Starbucks, no McDonalds, etc, will elicit howls.

Sherman's strategy was to take the farm output of Georgia to feed the U.S. Army and replace hundreds of horses and mules that died each day. Before leaving Atlanta for the coast, Sherman sent a telegram to General Grant explaining his strategy for the march to the sea: Sherman wrote "I will make Georgia howl." Did he ever. He took their cattle, hogs, poultry, grains, horses and mules which left nothing for the CSA forces chasing him. He made Georgia howl which not only broke the back of the CSA but it buoyed the resolve of the Union to press on to final victory.
I totally agree. See War, to Humane, Must be Total. The civilized world has always tried to limit the bloodshed of war initially.

Both the Civil War and WW II ended when the victors became serious about fighting. General Sherman's "March to the Sea", which devastated large swaths of Georgia, convinced the remaining Confederates that their cause was hopeless. The Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki attacks, in my view, for the first time convinced the German and Japanese people, respectively, that their "leadership" was taking them one place; to the grave.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:29 AM

8,154 posts, read 3,682,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I totally agree. See War, to Humane, Must be Total. The civilized world has always tried to limit the bloodshed of war initially.

Both the Civil War and WW II ended when the victors became serious about fighting. General Sherman's "March to the Sea", which devastated large swaths of Georgia, convinced the remaining Confederates that their cause was hopeless. The Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki attacks, in my view, for the first time convinced the German and Japanese people, respectively, that their "leadership" was taking them one place; to the grave.
Lol, is this some sort of a justification of the completely unnecessary firebombing of Dresden that killed 10s of thousands of civilians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies