Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2022, 12:12 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,815,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
More severe strains of the Spanish flu virus still pop up some years. Influenza is not a "cold" virus.

There is no guarantee that a more severe variant of COVID-19 will not appear.

Oooh. Scary.

I don't care. We're done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 12:14 AM

6,650 posts, read 4,362,700 times
Quote:
That is not what I said. I said it is possible for more severe strains to pop up.

https://theconversation.com/will-cor...-deadly-153817
Agreed. There is no way that anyone can say with any degree of certainty that more severe strains will not pop up in the future.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:37 AM

2,284 posts, read 641,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We wear N95s which are about 95% effective in blocking out the virus. We wear them because it is our choice, not because we have to or anyone told or made us do it.
This is an example of a baseless statement.

N95 masks and all masks cannot be “95 effective in blocking the virus” if you think about, you realize you’re missing a crucial variable: time.

For n95, simulations have shown they’re only 90%+ effective for no more than 30 minutes in a high viral environment. These are simulations. A RCT on n95 has never been done.

There have been many studies showing HCW catching and transmitting COVID despite wearing n95. There are better masks than n95 FYI.

Old 03-13-2022, 12:49 AM

6,650 posts, read 4,362,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
This is an example of a baseless statement.

N95 masks and all masks cannot be “95 effective in blocking the virus” if you think about, you realize you’re missing a crucial variable: time.

For n95, simulations have shown they’re only 90%+ effective for no more than 30 minutes in a high viral environment. These are simulations. A RCT on n95 has never been done.

There have been many studies showing HCW catching and transmitting COVID despite wearing n95. There are better masks than n95 FYI.
If N95s are good enough for medical professionals, there good enough for us…

Old 03-13-2022, 12:54 AM

34,303 posts, read 18,687,771 times
Quote:
More severe strains of the Spanish flu virus still pop up some years. Influenza is not a "cold" virus.

There is no guarantee that a more severe variant of COVID-19 will not appear.
So what? Always have these, always will. Live your life and stop being so scared and that's everyone, not just you. Jeez people. Grow the heck up.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:21 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,280,941 times
Quote:
That is not what I said. I said it is possible for more severe strains to pop up.

A lot of dire things "may" happen in the future. Not just "may"...probably will.
Are we going to spend our lives worrying about them? Or legislating due to the possibilities?

Old 03-13-2022, 01:29 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,998,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
the fear made some sense initially until we had more information but i still see people wiping down wagons in supermarkets with the gloves face shields etc. i even saw one guy wiping the entire wagon not just the front where you push it. i wonder if he was planning on licking the wagon. i saw a 350 behemoth wiping down the screen on the self checkout machine which while pretty amusing, is even more so when it's done by someone who treats their body like a garbage disposal. To be afraid of covid from a screen in 2022 but not afraid of being severely obese is impressive.
I did this before covid. Did the same thing with gasoline handles and had sanitizer in my car for after use. Common sense really considering how much use these things get. I usually dont wipe the whole cart though and just the handles/corners. I also never touched door handles and if possible will gently kick them open with my feet. All pre covid practices.

Amazing to me how dirty people are. Wiping down high use things like that is one thing I hoped people would take away especially if the store has wipes for use. I guess not.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:29 AM

2,284 posts, read 641,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
If N95s are good enough for medical professionals, there good enough for us…
HCP who treat COVID patients in the USA generally wear better masks - usually ones with carbon cartridges. But ok. You wanna feel comfortable. As long as you don’t inconvenience the none hypochondriacs, we should be cool.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:37 AM

37,244 posts, read 41,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
A lot of dire things "may" happen in the future. Not just "may"...probably will.
Are we going to spend our lives worrying about them? Or legislating due to the possibilities?
I just made a statement of biological fact.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:28 AM

5,121 posts, read 1,693,412 times
Quote:

"possible" or "probable"? big difference. weasel words go both ways. anything that is "possible" is also "not possible" by definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies