Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 01:38 AM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh please stop with the Chamberlain thing, you all honestly think Putin plans to roll across NATO countries and Europe?, even if he wanted to he doesn't have the military or people's support.

Chamberlain fits. When Putin takes Ukraine, China goes for Taiwan, we will face them again simultaneously. Know your history. Japan & Hitler had just one common feature-they hated the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 01:54 AM

27,484 posts, read 13,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Oh please stop with the Chamberlain thing, you all honestly think Putin plans to roll across NATO countries and Europe?, even if he wanted to he doesn't have the military or people's support.

Yeah heard it before, got to go to Vietnam because today Vietnam, otherwise tomorrow the communists will take the world. Or got to go to Iraq otherwise tomorrow another 9/11

Ukraine is a corrupt country that politicians including Americans and shady rich people have their dirty hands in

Do I support Putin? no but let's not pretend he is the only greedy corrupt one in this game.

Some of you want to shoot at Russians, go volunteer in Ukraine but leave WW3 out of it.
There would have been little point in Soviet tanks rolling on to German plains during the 1950's cold war, as the British had placed ten-kiloton nuclear land mines (Blue Peacock) under the plains, that were going to go off as those very tanks rolled over.

Blue Peacock - Wikipedia

In terms of today, lethal forces including battlefield nukes would be used to stop an advancing Russian tank and artillery force.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:16 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,760,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There would have been little point in Soviet tanks rolling on to German plains during the 1950's cold war, as the British had placed ten-kiloton nuclear land mines (Blue Peacock) under the plains, that were going to go off as those very tanks rolled over.

Blue Peacock - Wikipedia

In terms of today, lethal forces including battlefield nukes would be used to stop an advancing Russian tank and artillery force.
Here's what happens next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxJHecyYBno

Old 03-07-2022, 04:24 AM

27,484 posts, read 13,708,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

Here's what happens next...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7hOpT0lPGI

Old 03-07-2022, 07:00 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,315,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
Putin has already warned NATO, and the US or the west as you wanna call it that if they got involved there would be severe consequences like the world has never seen before. He came out a second time today with another threat and also adding, “ I don’t usually issue a second warning†meaning I’m being nice, but if you send war planes here, you’re involved.

I’ve said it all along, Putin is in a must win situation. He wins, or he dies. What do you think he’s gonna do? Someone in his mental state, with the power he possesses, and probably in a delusional mindset. He’s gonna go all out. Like a cornered rat. He will fight ugly.

The only way out of this, if we decide to get involved, is negotiating a way that lets Russia have the control of Ukraine that they want. And a lot of face saving for Putin…Otherwise? Welcome to WWIII

Leaders issue "warnings" all the time. Couldn't find your quote anywhere in the news. Russia did unilaterally declare a ceasefire around major cities at 10am today.

Putin is not cornered at all. He was perfectly safe in Russia until he went raiding. Even now, Ukraine has carried out no attacks in Russia.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:03 AM

13,810 posts, read 5,030,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Yep, he's not going to stop now. He's in it to win it. I'm not done living but I hope we go quickly with no pain. It's so sad Biden has gotten us to this dark place. But at least we don't have mean tweets.

Wow, look at all these depressing threads posted in the last few days. Does anyone have anything positive to say?
Yes, I have something positive to say. Despite all of the dangers, if I had to bet on the outcome of this conflict it would be that, after Putin finds out conquering Ukraine is not so easy, and the Ukrainian people become increasingly exhausted, there will be a negotiated settlement. Likely it will have to allow Putin to save face, give him something so he can say he achieved his objectives. That might mean ceding the Donbass region to Russia, or a promise that Ukraine won't join NATO. In return Russia withdraws and offers some sort of assurance of Ukrainian independence.

I realize there are a lot of pitfalls and it's possible the situation will escalate, but I believe the above is the most likely scenario. More fighting and further escalation doesn't advance anyone's interests. Ten years from now, Putin, Trump and Biden will all be dead or in a nursing home, and this ugly incident will be history.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 AM

23,175 posts, read 12,315,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Yes, I have something positive to say. Despite all of the dangers, if I had to bet on the outcome of this conflict it would be that, after Putin finds out conquering Ukraine is not so easy, and the Ukrainian people become increasingly exhausted, there will be a negotiated settlement. Likely it will have to allow Putin to save face, give him something so he can say he achieved his objectives. That might mean ceding the Donbass region to Russia, or a promise that Ukraine won't join NATO. In return Russia withdraws and offers some sort of assurance of Ukrainian independence.

I realize there are a lot of pitfalls and it's possible the situation will escalate, but I believe the above is the most likely scenario. More fighting and further escalation doesn't advance anyone's interests. Ten years from now, Putin, Trump and Biden will all be dead or in a nursing home, and this ugly incident will be history.

This is possible. Politicians make all kinds of threats and then back down, set all kinds of goals then settle for less, and they always spin it as a huge success. Just because Putin said something last week doesn't mean he won't say something else next week and spin it as a victory.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:31 AM

14,256 posts, read 4,639,638 times
I really miss those mean Tweets over the inept demented patient currently occupying White House. At least those mean Tweets will not be responsible for WW3. Anybody else feel the same ?

Old 03-07-2022, 08:34 AM

382 posts, read 125,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sim_Mister View Post
Three issue here going on. World didn't react to Russia taking Crimea the same way because Ukraine didn't put up much of a fight . Here it's an all out war on Ukraine and NATO is continuing to supply Ukrainian forces with weapons to continue fighting Russia. While not having boots on the ground NATO is involved. Lastly Putin sees Soviet Union falling apart as biggest tragedy of 20th century and is determined to put it back together. I do not believe he will stop at Ukraine but will go in to other countries that are under NATO protection. Assuming NATO will fight back, it will ultimately lead to WW3 as it will be direct fight between US and Russian forces.
The only way he would even try that, would be if he thought he could get away with it.

The only way he would think he could get away with it, is if NATO was literally too weak to fight back, either from a more severe pandemic, or economic collapse, or both...

Or if he had a new military alliance with China...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies