Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 07:53 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
The government can get out of the way for one.....the Government imposes a cost on the economy just by existing. Stop imposing MORE cost on the economy by doing stuff.
Remember, "I am from the government and here to HELP you"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 07:58 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,794,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Remember, "I am from the government and here to HELP you"!
You can help by going away and leaving me alone. Oh and stop taking my stuff.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:05 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
"You see the semi's with oil coming into town all day long" Kind of IRONIC how higher fuel costs will have an effect on higher fuel costs....... Don't you think? Pipelines do seem a little more efficient at transporting oil.
I agree 100%. The left had no real argument on wanting the pipeline stopped. And we actually end up using more oil by not having those pipelines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
As far as buying and SELLING oil to other countries makes sense when you look at global trade and how it benefits all involved. It's a different conversation if/when you have to depend on that commodity from other countries when you have the resources at home.
From what I understand we were buying Russian oil for west coast refineries. It was easier than transporting it from the middle of the country. I am all for being energy independent and not buying any foreign oil. I don't think that would lower prices here. Prices are set by commodity traders and whatever games OPEC is playing. Its a world price.

Unless we decouple from world oil prices and have a national price like Mexico used to have. But with the dems in power that price would be $10 a gallon right now. If we set it too low it won't be worth it for oil companies to look for more oil. We have extracted all the easy to get to oil. There is a lot of oil in the ground here but it costs a lot more money to pump it out. Like at the Permian Basin or Canada. But I am against price controls.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:21 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So a MILLION barrels a day difference is pittance to you?
Never said that but if the increase was due to a lack of production why weren't there record gas prices in 2018. Yet you claim a 10% reduction in production is responsible for a doubling in prices at the pump.

The price of oil is set by the world, not the US.

You have yet to explain a specific Biden policy that is driving up oil policies.
After years of federal lease sales to oil, gas and coal companies, environmentalists had hopes that President Biden would end the fossil fuel bonanza.

Quote:
But one year after announcing a halt to any new federal oil and gas leasing, Biden has outpaced Donald Trump in issuing drilling permits on public lands. After setting a record for the largest offshore lease sale last year in the Gulf of Mexico, the Interior Department plans to auction off oil and gas drilling rights on more than 200,000 acres across Western states by the end of March, followed by 1 million acres in the Cook Inlet, off the coast of Alaska.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...biden-climate/

Last edited by Goodnight; 03-12-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 03-12-2022, 08:29 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
this thread makes my head hurt. republicans support deregulation and increased energy production at home. not just banning russian oil with no other plan to reduce the cost at home.
Take comfort in knowing that propaganda pieces, like the one linked in the OP, is the reason why the U.S. media approval rating are amongst the lowest in the modern world.

Fewer Dems believe the media news, & an even lower % of Indy's believe it, and just a miniscule % of Pubs believe the media news anymore.

Fake media news is now a mashup of propaganda & entertainment...like fake wrestling.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:31 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
And the prices that shot up before the Russian invasion? Was that also the Russians and/or Republicans and/or whoever he'll angrily accuse next?

This is on Biden. On day 1, he pulled a "But Trump!" and signed EOs that removed a lot of what Trump set up for us.

He can p*$$ and moan all he wants, this is what Americans see:

Under Trump, gas was low.

Under Biden, gas is almost 3 times as much as it was under Trump.

Under Trump, prices were low until Fauci lied to everyone that we 'needed' to lock down. Unfortunately, Trump believed him.

Under Biden, even after everything opened up, prices went higher and higher and higher.

Under Trump, rent went up about 10% per year.

Under Biden, rent went up about 20-40% for people.

ALL of that happened well before the Russia invasion to Ukraine, and before Republicans told Biden to stop Russian oil

ALL of it.

I know people want to blame the plandemic, but the lockdowns were over for a long time, yet prices kept going up. And then, suddenly, the supply chain issues got even worse, not better, in the last year. We did pretty good right after lock downs, some shortages, but the last 6 months...when BIDEN was pretending to be the president, they got worse in many areas. A whole lot of empty spaces, products completely out for weeks, some products still very hard to find...why would it get worse a year and a half AFTER lock downs?

The Dem party SUCKS at 'leading'. It's time that the die hards who just don't want to be wrong, to admit it. It lies at your feet, no one else.

And you can come up with all of the 'reasons' why any of this happened, in an effort to excuse the Dem party, but the American people, most who don't know jack spit about politics, they aren't going to know that.

All that they are going to know is that under Biden, their lives have become much harder.

That's what they see. All of this blaming is because mid-terms are coming up, and I guarantee that a whole lot of voters are not buying into this bs blame game.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:45 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,959,113 times
Thread Title: Biden heeded Republicans’ pleas to ban Russian oil. Then they pounced.

Sounds like a WAPO fantasy. Reason number one million normal folks snicker at The Washington Post.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:05 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Name one thing Biden did on domestic energy that is raising prices or preventing production and I'm begging you plese don't tell me Keystone. Climate change is the primary reason we need to go green but as you can see it's also to be independent of OPEC and Russia. Did you know that we imported Russian oil under Trump this isn't some new policy.

Remember gas lines back in the 1970's when we were going to divorce ourselves of dependency on foreign oil all forgotten. Remember when we were protecting fuel inefficient vehicles until we raised the CAFE standards. But here we are still much too dependent on fossil fuels and of course we need to go hat in hand to Saudi Arabia because Americans love cheap oil.

Meanwhile electric vehicles which is the direction the world is heading, not just here are unscathed the world. But in the US the right wing thinks EV's are some sort of dastardly plot. Yes let's keep drilling for more oil, that has been a time proven solution.

So yeah, ask the president to ban Russian imports then complain about increasing prices, that makes sense if you're Kevin McCarthy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...icans-ukraine/
Oh Jesus wept. Times like this I regret giving up drinking. Almost anyway. I'm not a simpleton so no I'm not bringing Keystone into this as a major ACUTE factor. That falls into long term chronic. So quit trying to insult my intelligence out of the gate by even insinuating I MIGHT be that ignorant.

That being said on to business. Trump had opened domestic exploration up wide. Biden ditched it. Along with a huge amount of regulatory baggage domestic outfits were saddled with thanks to the enviro wacko Nature Nazi heil Gore gang. Those regulatory requirements along with exorbitant taxes and fees made domestic exploration let alone production more expensive than buying and importing. Turning a profit on domestic production was almost impossible to do especially if untapped resources are part of the equation. Guess what? They are.

Trump had taken that overburden off the top so those evil energy companies that keep this country running could actually do what they do. Tap the resource and produce fuel. The Dems can't abide letting any taxes fees and regulatory power over ANY large resource based business go. So Biden was bidden and he trashed the Trump policies and lorded the federal government over domestic energy again. It wasn't hardly just the future transport ability of Keystone he trashed either. Plans for new refineries were also scrubbed. The US needs to expand refining and our energy companies were. Getting to the crude is just the first step.

All that is gone with a stroke of Joey Bidet's feeble hand. EV's are fine. If you're a trendy rich and appropriately enviro looney UC Berserkely indoctrinator...err Educator. Always mix those up. And the juice that fuels EVs still needs to be produced BTW. Didja think about that before climbing into that catbird seat? I think not. Does electricity produce electricity? What powers those big power plant turbines again? Uh huh...fossil fuels. Nuke generation is evil. It will kill us all in a generation if we go that route. (yes that's sarcasm) But wait!! Oh my wind solar and hydroelectric you say? But wouldn't that require a LOT of development? Damming rivers and streams, millions of square miles of open land to park the windmills and panels. Ohhhh so sorry. No joy. The little fly that eats coyote cookies and is on the endangered list lives in all those places.

So, in the simplest terms I can conjure there ya go. Maybe I SHOULD start drinking again. It would make life under the Joey Bidet puppet show more bearable short term.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:21 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Do YOU want a war with Russia?
You didn't really ask me, but personally I wouldn't care.
It would last 30 minutes if US struck first and we'd never have to put up with Russia's nonsense again.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:16 AM

942 posts, read 392,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You didn't really ask me, but personally I wouldn't care.
It would last 30 minutes if US struck first and we'd never have to put up with Russia's nonsense again.
It wouldn't be over in 30 minutes with this President! We'd need a strong leader that has the mindset that we were going to war and in it to WIN it. Needs to be overpowering from the onset, and bringing Putin to his knees quickly and decisively as our #1 priority. Maybe Millie could call Putin and let him know that's our plan and to see if he's OK with it.......of course, before we actually do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies