Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:33 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Because at this point, they're still more expensive than ICE and charging infrastructure/tech isn't up to snuff. But you asked about the future (you know... the word that's posted in the threat title), and I'm willing to bet that EVs will improve on both.

Want to take me up on that bet?
Yes. EV is a loser. They are not "the future" and this country is not changing over its infrastructure for something like EV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I have no dog in this fight as I like both types of cars, but I found this humorous.
Imagine a parallel universe where EVs were the current power plant of vehicles and there was a push to go to gas powered vehicles.

https://thedriven.io/2020/02/24/what...o-petrol-cars/
It's impossible for the "current" vehicles to be electric because it was even less practical "back then" than it is today.

People considered electrics years and years ago and realized they aren't workable as the standard method.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
No left jack. I have a big OCD on gas prices and once it goes past a point i am done. At least with my modded 2013 C6 Vette with 650hp it got 15mph in the city kitty and then i was dumb enough to trade it in for a new 2019 C7 deven that i had to lemon law at 400 miles. But 8mpg at over 3.20 a gal pal was too much so when i went to get gas and it was $3.75 a gal i left the pump and went right to the dealer and traded on the spot dot. So don't give me that right crap bra.
Right you're the one that trades cars in every year, losing tons of money, but gas rising a buck gives you OCD.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:21 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Why is it a "Pro" though? If you have to go out in the middle of the night while your car is "charging," hopefully you aren't going far then?

I have to plug my car in every night so that I don't have to spend 10 MINUTES at a gas station once every 10 days or so?

Who was ever asking for that? That seems like a lot of trouble and risk to go through for something that was never really even a problem.

Most people pick up their morning coffee at the gas station anyway. You guys are inventing "benefits" that no one thought were problems!
You go to the gas station every 10 days and you pretend that range would be a huge worry for you?

I was using 1/4 gas tank a day when I had the ICE. So I would stop at the gas station every 3 days. Now I never make that stop. It is a positive.

And I usually get home around 630pm with about 170 miles of range left. I have 272 miles of range by 10:30pm. So I should be fine if there is an emergency middle of the night road trip needed.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
You go to the gas station every 10 days and you pretend that range would be a huge worry for you?

I was using 1/4 gas tank a day when I had the ICE. So I would stop at the gas station every 3 days. Now I never make that stop. It is a positive.

And I usually get home around 630pm with about 170 miles of range left. I have 272 miles of range by 10:30pm. So I should be fine if there is an emergency middle of the night road trip needed.
No, I drive quite a bit. You guys just use the "most people don't drive far" argument. That means "most people don't go to the gas station much," right?

This whole argument that people were dying to be relieved from going to the gas station is silly. It's not a big deal to most people.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:41 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Yeah? What's the make and model of this propane powered car? Which dealership can I buy it in?
Nearly any / every gasoline car can be converted to propane fueled. Talk to your mechanic.

I have lived in two different cities where this option was made available to the general public. Once in the 1980s and again in 2000.

When I first looked into it, the cost was going to be around $500.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
No, I drive quite a bit. You guys just use the "most people don't drive far" argument. That means "most people don't go to the gas station much," right?

This whole argument that people were dying to be relieved from going to the gas station is silly. It's not a big deal to most people.
No, not right. Like I said, I went to the gas station every 3 days. But in any given day I dont have to worry about range because I typically drive 100-130 miles a day.

It's not about being a big deal. It is better to not to have to do it. So why wouldnt I want something that is better?

Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
When my Prius plugin was still under full warranty, I took it to our local dealership for all required maintenance. One time at the service department, I spoke with another customer, who also owned a plugin. He found that after one-year of driving his plugin, he had not bought any gasoline for his car. After gasoline has sat in your tank for a year, they recommend draining your tank and filling it again with fresh fuel. So that was what he was doing that day.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,657 times
Electricity and hydrogen are not natural resources. They must be made before they are used. This means another energy source.

When you trace back to the original energy source, all energy is nuclear.

Now what I need is an electric motor that I can limit the torque of for winter driving like I can do with my current gasoline car.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
No, not right. Like I said, I went to the gas station every 3 days. But in any given day I dont have to worry about range because I typically drive 100-130 miles a day.

It's not about being a big deal. It is better to not to have to do it. So why wouldnt I want something that is better?
In order to not have to spend 8 minutes at a gas station every 3 days (you drive more than the "average" person), you had to:

1. by a 80+?K car
2. install a charging station in your house
3. accept the fact that you can't really go more than a couple hundred miles at one time
4. accept the fact that you will not be guaranteed to be able to find another place to charge it if you do go far very easily
5. accept the fact that you'll have to stop and wait 3, 4 or 5x longer than it would take to fill it up with gas, if you do find a charging station.
6. accept the fact that your performance will be affected by the cold and by how drained your battery is
7. accept the fact that if the power goes out, you can't "refuel"
8. accept the fact that you can't take more fuel with you
9. accept the fact that you can't really work on the "engine" yourself if you have problems.

Sounds like a brilliant tradeoff! I'm shocked no more than 2% have taken this plunge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies