Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 06:12 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
How long will you have to own it to come out ahead on the deal vs. something like a simple, 20K Honda Civic that gets 40 mpg?
It was cheaper than most any Honda at 28k new last year. I get many cars a year on avg, but once prem went past $3.20 a gal last March i sold my gas sucking 2021 Camaro that got 8mpg in the city kitty on prem. So no more gas unless prem goes sub 2.80 a gal pal and stays there for 3 years and i will get a C8 Vette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 06:22 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Wrong again. For most people it takes zero time to charge an EV, because you do while parked at your home, or other destination. You waste a lot more time in gas stations than an EV owner who plugs in his car at night or at work. The only time he would have to wait is on a long trip, which if you're honest is an exceptional case. The average American drives 25 miles/day, which would be 8 days of driving for the average EV owner. Of course I'm sure you'll claim you're the exception and drive 500 miles/day. Great, don't get an EV. But the range keeps getting longer and longer, so you won't have that excuse forever. Or keep your ICE vehicle forever, no one is taking it away. I have a few ICE vehicles myself that I'll probably have forever.
Okay so let's take your numbers. The average American drives 25 miles per day. With a decent mpg gas vehicle, one can go, what, 400 miles say?

That means they have to spend 7-10 min at a gas station every 16 days?

Wow. What a crushing blow to one's time. Yes, people have been clamoring for years for a car that eliminates their need to spend a few minutes every week or two at a gas station.

Riiiiight. 2% for a reason.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It was cheaper than most any Honda at 28k new last year. I get many cars a year on avg, but once prem went past $3.20 a gal last March i sold my gas sucking 2021 Camaro that got 8mpg in the city kitty on prem. So no more gas unless prem goes sub 2.80 a gal pal and stays there for 3 years and i will get a C8 Vette.
So you went from a Camaro to a bargain basement EV, because you wanted to save a few hundred bucks a year (difference between 3.20 and 4.50 gas).

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:30 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
So you went from a Camaro to a bargain basement EV, because you wanted to save a few hundred bucks a year (difference between 3.20 and 4.50 gas).

Riiiiiiiiiight.
No left jack. I have a big OCD on gas prices and once it goes past a point i am done. At least with my modded 2013 C6 Vette with 650hp it got 15mph in the city kitty and then i was dumb enough to trade it in for a new 2019 C7 deven that i had to lemon law at 400 miles. But 8mpg at over 3.20 a gal pal was too much so when i went to get gas and it was $3.75 a gal i left the pump and went right to the dealer and traded on the spot dot. So don't give me that right crap bra.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 961,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahHumBug2 View Post
Today’s conspiracy theory is tomorrow’s reality. ICE vehicles had quick adoption because of the FREEDOM they provided to the average person. EVs are essentially a computer / GPS on wheels. EVs represent the beginning of the limiting of FREEEDOM for the average person. EVs are a government controllable vehicle. EVs will be automatically taxed by the mile, shut off if you don't pay your taxes, shut off if you "displease" the government in anyway, automatically ration the amount of electricity you will be allowed off the grid. Just remember how the Canadian Government froze the bank accounts of persons they didn't like! Don' believe for a second that our government respects our privacy or freedom. EVs make total government control over your movement possible. FYI, I currently have one ICE and one EV, will never go total EV.

Quote:
Bingo. Cars will become like Apple Watches. Centrally controlled, and disposable.

You know ICE cars have computers in them too right? There's nothing inherent to EV's that would make these actions not possible on ICE.
Some people...

Wait, and you say you're in IT?
Are you the "IT" guy that runs around and plugs in keyboards and mice? I find it hard to believe an "IT" guy doesn't know how computerized today's ICE cars are.

Quote:
Incorrect. I'm an IT professional. I own an iPhone and use it every day.

Last edited by bluesclues5; 04-11-2022 at 10:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 10:16 PM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That Prius was decidedly NOT an EV. It was a non-plugin hybrid. So it was an ICE vehicle that got great gas mileage around town because it generated power when you braked. It couldn't go anywhere without gasoline.

Now a plug-in hybrid is actually an EV because it's got a battery that you can charge while the car is parked and then drive around purely on electric. Our Chevy Volt goes between 40-50 miles on pure electric.
Hybrids are much more efficient mostly because they are able to use the battery to get the car going to cruise speed. The hybrid engine is much smaller, and kept in it's best power band because it doesn't have to start out at a low RPM rev up between gears. Regenerative braking is just a bonus to charge the battery it's far from the only thing that allows someone to get 50MPG. When Toyota first released the Prius many said it would be a failure GM was selling full size SUV's that got 10 MPG. When 2008 oil hit 140 a barrel who went bankrupt GM, and Chrysler. Toyota went on to become the largest automotive manufacture in the world.

Today where are we again the same people are saying EV will be a failure while driving around in their big SUVS, Diesel pickups, and 500 HP cars spending $300 a month on fuel EV driver is charging at home costing $3-5 for 300 miles of driving. No one can argue EV performance leaves ICE in the dust.

Tesla model X turned 9.90 @ 144 MPH in the 1/4 mile beating a 630HP Lamborghini Huracán. Show me a factory built ICE that can go that fast??

Old 04-11-2022, 10:22 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM1972 View Post
How do you feel driving a coal-fired car?
Why do you want to keep promoting that lie?

Old 04-11-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
again you are finding numbers that fit your agenda...I believe that is called chereypicking

it up to 3%
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/electri...ar-sales-fall/
Americans bought 21.3% fewer cars in the fourth quarter of 2021 than in the fourth quarter of 2020. But we bought 72% more electric vehicles (EVs).

Electric cars remain a small percentage of the vehicles on American roads – less than 3% of the total, according to Department of Transportation statistics. But they are growing more common. EVs accounted for a record 4.5% of total sales last quarter.

Not only that, but let's take a look at number of ICE models vs the number of EVs available to buy today. And then let's take a look at the availability of the EV models on a national scale. Most states aren't even selling EVs because manufacturers are targeting specific states, so even if you wanted one, you might not be able to get one.

It's clear the OP is pushing his biased views in this thread.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Right, so no difference functionally, and it takes longer. And when you're out, you can only go a couple hundred miles, then you have to find another one and wait again.

And you have to install a charging station in your house...so hopefully you have a garage, and hopefully your power isn't out. And it costs way more than the average ICE.

Yyyyyyeah, I can really see this becoming "maintream."

"Saving the Planet" and very cool software UI's I don't think will be enough justification for the average user.

WTF are you talking about?
FUNCTIONALLY, he's able to plug it at home and have a full tank every morning. There's no way anyone could argue that this is not under the Pro's list of owning an EV if they have a garage and a 220V outlet.

I'm a car enthusiast that's looking to buy an EV and an ICE sports car (yes, with a manual transmission) in the very near future, but you're annoying AF.

Old 04-11-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
We don't invest in rail because it's a loser. "Investment" implies an expected return.

We are NOT Europe or Japan and we shouldn't try to be. Rail could make sense at the state level or at the regional level.

Not to mention that our government is pathetically incompetent and anything it touches turns into a colossal bottomless money pit. Hard Pass.

That's because you only view it from a profit-centric angle, kinda like our capitalism debate.

There's other benefits to rail that make rail travel a net benefit to the country that's not monetary. But I do think it will fail in this country because of special interest groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies