Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:31 AM

8,946 posts, read 2,968,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Yeah, is your corvette good for all eventualities?

I think people evaluate their usage and select a product that covers their usage. When I was looking for a car, I know that I am only using it to commute or to drive my kids around town. We use my wife's car for the longer road trips. Those long road trips for us maybe happen 2-3 times a year and, in reality, the electric car would probably be a small inconvenience if we chose to use it instead.
It's good for all eventualities that I plan with a car of that type, yes.

I can drive it from sea to shining sea with absolutely no worry of finding fuel or stopping for a long time to "refuel" it. I know that no matter if it's 0 degrees or 100 degrees, the engine will work pretty close to the same. I know that it will put out all 436 HP up until the last drop of fuel has been burned from its tank. It's also pretty easy to fix if I do run into any problems, anywhere in the country. None of those things are true with an EV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:54 AM

2,612 posts, read 931,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
In order to not have to spend 8 minutes at a gas station every 3 days (you drive more than the "average" person), you had to:

1. by a 80+?K car
2. install a charging station in your house
3. accept the fact that you can't really go more than a couple hundred miles at one time
4. accept the fact that you will not be guaranteed to be able to find another place to charge it if you do go far very easily
5. accept the fact that you'll have to stop and wait 3, 4 or 5x longer than it would take to fill it up with gas, if you do find a charging station.
6. accept the fact that your performance will be affected by the cold and by how drained your battery is
7. accept the fact that if the power goes out, you can't "refuel"
8. accept the fact that you can't take more fuel with you
9. accept the fact that you can't really work on the "engine" yourself if you have problems.

Sounds like a brilliant tradeoff! I'm shocked no more than 2% have taken this plunge.
Haha a lot of "accept the facts" in there and not real sacrifices. I accept the fact that if things dont impact me, then they dont matter to me.

My car cost me $48k.
I installed an outlet for $500.

I didnt just get out of every 3 day gas station visits, I also got out of oil change visits. I also got a better car than one available to me with an ICE engine.

You have never even driven an electric car and yet you are all about telling me (who has owned an electric car for 1.5 years) why my car isnt good. Yet, I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:05 AM

19,807 posts, read 18,110,313 times
FWIIW I'm an oil and gas guy.

Electric will win the day over Atkinson, Otto, Wankle etc. cycle IC engines for a couple of fairly simple and clear reasons.

1. From crude oil energy potential to torque applied to the ground the best IC engine delivers roughly 16-19% efficiency (the very best automotive IC engines deliver 28-30% tank to ground efficiency.....a gallon of good gasoline contains about 120,000 BTU the best engine and driveline will get .3, many cars around .23/.24, of that to the ground). The rest is lost though mostly heat and pump loses (friction, rotating and reciprocating masses etc.). Obviously drilling, transporting, refining oil and then transporting it again as gas or diesel is very inefficient from an energy perspective.

2. Electrics have fewer parts, many fewer moving parts, more torque, much more low RPM/instant availability torque, much easier bulk power movement (power lines vs. pipelines etc.), much lower pump losses and far, far less waste heat loss. Right now power generator to ground electric vehicle energy efficiency is around 51% including battery charging. Over the next few years that number will likely broach 60 or 65%.

2.1. GM sells something called the e-Crate.....it's a fairly easy small and big block Chevy to electric conversion package..........GM has to dumb down the e-Crate's instantaneous torque output significantly because the motor will otherwise nuke u-joints, drive shafts, spindles, x-missions etc.

2.2. As a kicker electrics really are much, much cleaner.

There are many side issues per batteries and electrics. None are deal killers. Electric will win.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:16 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Quote:
And you almost never get the "estimated" range from an EV. If it's cold, that affects them, and also when they start to drain, performance degrades.

With ICE, they run the same to the last drop.!
You are saying ICE vehicles are immune to temperature and wind? WRONG.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Haha a lot of "accept the facts" in there and not real sacrifices. I accept the fact that if things dont impact me, then they dont matter to me.

My car cost me $48k.
I installed an outlet for $500.

I didnt just get out of every 3 day gas station visits, I also got out of oil change visits. I also got a better car than one available to me with an ICE engine.

You have never even driven an electric car and yet you are all about telling me (who has owned an electric car for 1.5 years) why my car isnt good. Yet, I am extremely happy with my purchase.
Why not change your oil at home just like you charge your car at home?

It's elementary school easy and takes about 30 min. I do it once per year for all three of my vehicles, and my ATV.

"Better car" by what standards? You can get a pretty good ICE car for 48 grand.

I've driven in them many times. They are a common sight for Uber drivers in my area. They remind me of a little economy car with a giant television screen on the dash. I noticed absolutely nothing functionally different in the driving experience compared to any other little eco box. Not sure what you're talking about. Again, it's not about "functionality (those arguments lose every time)," it's about "Saving the world."

Last edited by paracord; 04-12-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You are saying ICE vehicles are immune to temperature and wind? WRONG.
Much more immune than battery powered cars. That's a fact.

Batteries don't like the cold. ICE engines actually perform better with colder air to intake than warmer.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:28 AM

37,475 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
... Now what I need is an electric motor that I can limit the torque of for winter driving like I can do with my current gasoline car.
Some of us regulate torque by modulating the accelerator pedal.

Quote:
... 1. by a 80+?K car
I have never spent that much money to buy a vehicle. Why would you?

My garage has electric outlets. Mostly so I can run a block heater for my tractor. But sometimes I also like to sit out there and melt lead for casting bullets. I shoot .510 caliber 550grain bullets.

Quote:
... I can drive it from sea to shining sea with absolutely no worry of finding fuel
If you drove a Tesla you can do the same thing.

On the assumption that you dont mind stopping at restaurants on occasion to eat a meal [as you recharge for free].

2,612 posts, read 931,204 times
Quote:
Why not change your oil at home just like you charge your car at home?

It's elementary school easy and takes about 30 min. I do it once per year for all three of my vehicles, and my ATV.

"Better car" by what standards? You can get a pretty good ICE car for 48 grand.

I've driven in them many times. They are a common sight for Uber drivers in my area. They remind me of a little economy car with a giant television screen on the dash. I noticed absolutely nothing functionally different in the driving experience compared to any other little eco box. Not sure what you're talking about. Again, it's not about "functionality," it's about "Saving the world."
I dont have oil to change.

I dont really care how easy it is. I didnt do it when I had an ICE car and now that I have an electric car I dont have to consider it.

We have all gone through our real and perceived positives and negatives of owning an electric car. At the end of the day, I am an EV owner because I think it is better. Impact on the environment had 0% to do with my decision and nobody forced me to do it.

I notice something functionally better every single time I drive it. You dont own one, never drove one and you wont even consider it because of your irrational political biases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
FWIIW I'm an oil and gas guy.

Electric will win the day over Atkinson, Otto, Wankle etc. cycle IC engines for a couple of fairly simple and clear reasons.

1. From crude oil energy potential to torque applied to the ground the best IC engine delivers roughly 16-19% efficiency (the very best automotive IC engines deliver 28-30% tank to ground efficiency.....a gallon of good gasoline contains about 120,000 BTU the best engine and driveline will get .3, many cars around .23/.24, of that to the ground). The rest is lost though mostly heat and pump loses (friction, rotating and reciprocating masses etc.). Obviously drilling, transporting, refining oil and then transporting it again as gas or diesel is very inefficient from an energy perspective.

2. Electrics have fewer parts, many fewer moving parts, more torque, much more low RPM/instant availability torque, much easier bulk power movement (power lines vs. pipelines etc.), much lower pump losses and far, far less waste heat loss. Right now power generator to ground electric vehicle energy efficiency is around 51% including battery charging. Over the next few years that number will likely broach 60 or 65%.

2.1. GM sells something called the e-Crate.....it's a fairly easy small and big block Chevy to electric conversion package..........GM has to dumb down the e-Crate's instantaneous torque output significantly because the motor will otherwise nuke u-joints, drive shafts, spindles, x-missions etc.

2.2. As a kicker electrics really are much, much cleaner.

There are many side issues per batteries and electrics. None are deal killers. Electric will win.
Many things wrong here, but the most egregious is that "electrics are cleaner." That's BS if you include production and disposal as part of the lifecycle.

2% market penetration and even the results of this poll disagree with you.

EV is a dud, and not the "next generation." Something else will have to be "the thing" going forward.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
In order to not have to spend 8 minutes at a gas station every 3 days (you drive more than the "average" person), you had to:

1. by a 80+?K car
3. accept the fact that you can't really go more than a couple hundred miles at one time
4. accept the fact that you will not be guaranteed to be able to find another place to charge it if you do go far very easily
5. accept the fact that you'll have to stop and wait 3, 4 or 5x longer than it would take to fill it up with gas, if you do find a charging station.
6. accept the fact that your performance will be affected by the cold and by how drained your battery is
7. accept the fact that if the power goes out, you can't "refuel"
8. accept the fact that you can't take more fuel with you
9. accept the fact that you can't really work on the "engine" yourself if you have problems.

Sounds like a brilliant tradeoff! I'm shocked no more than 2% have taken this plunge.
1. you say your not biased, yet you continue to spew your garbage

EV's are surging

and At least 10 automakers are promising to make only electric options in the coming years

Jaguar will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2025...yep no more ICE vehicles from Jaguar
Bentley will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2030...yep no more ICE vehicles from Bentley

General Motors will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2030...yep no more ICE vehicles from GM, the company will expand its electric lineup, so that by 2025 there'll be 30 new EVs under the GM brands like Chevy, Cadillac, and GMC.... ouch, so much for your Corvette

Ford (Europe)...European Fords will be only electric by 2026

Toyota..In April, the company announced a new goal: 70 electrified models (including hybrids) from all its brands by 2025. That includes the Toyota bZ4X, a concept SUV. It'll be part of Toyota's fully electric "Beyond Zero" brand.

plus Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, and fisker are all electric only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies