Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:35 PM

2,330 posts, read 963,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I was rear ended not too long ago. Ill post a pic. The cost to fix it was about $11,800. So I think repairs on a Tesla are more expensive. One good thing is that I had the accident on video with 4 different camera angles so it was easy to establish fault.

That's likely because of the way the Tesla MY was designed. What would be a fender bender in a different car is a major repair in the MY because the tailgate is not shielded by the bumper.
The internet made a big fuss about this oversight by Tesla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It's been noted a million times in this thread that it is worse, and why.

But, if it's "better," why is the product going over like a lead balloon to the public?

Because at this point, they're still more expensive than ICE and charging infrastructure/tech isn't up to snuff. But you asked about the future (you know... the word that's posted in the threat title), and I'm willing to bet that EVs will improve on both.

Want to take me up on that bet?

Old 04-11-2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
At the last city I lived in, the city has a propane refueling station for all of the city fleet of vehicles. I remember they were offering discounts for any city residents to shift our vehicles to propane and to use the city refueling station. It is a simple task for any mechanic to change your carb to run on propane.

Yeah? What's the make and model of this propane powered car? Which dealership can I buy it in?

Old 04-11-2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The horse and buggy advocates were making the same of similar arguments at one point:
- How are you going to get energy for a trip
- They're too expensive
- They're too fast
- We've always traveled by horse and always will
- What happens to the old engines
- Mining is required to make them

I have no dog in this fight as I like both types of cars, but I found this humorous.
Imagine a parallel universe where EVs were the current power plant of vehicles and there was a push to go to gas powered vehicles.

Quote:
Here is a different look at electric cars: Let’s imagine what it would be like if we all had electric cars now and some people were proposing a transition to petrol cars.
Import costs: If we switch to petrol instead of using electric cars we will need to import our petrol from other countries, how many billions of dollars will that cost us every year? And most of that money will go to middle eastern countries making them rich and us poor. Electricity is generated in Australia from renewables and coal, no money leaving the country required.
Fuel security: Our economy and country will be dependent on regular supplies of fuel. If there was a war or other crisis, our country will grind to a stop in about 2–3 weeks.
Servicing: An electric car needs a small service every 100,000km, a petrol car needs 10 times as many services and every 100,000km needs a major service. Petrol vehicle service costs will be about 10–20 times as much as electric vehicles.
Fuel costs: A petrol car would cost about 4–10 times as much per km in fuel compared to an electric vehicle.

Infrastructure: To switch to petrol, we would need to build 1,000s of petrol stations all over the country, and these would all have to be staffed. You couldn’t get fuel if a petrol station was closed and you would need to plan your trip around petrol station opening times. We already have a national electricity grid with power and chargers available 24/7.
Safety: Carrying a highly volatile fuel in a vehicle will cause fires and death. For example, from 2003 to 2007 in the United States, there were 280,000 car fires per year, which caused 480 deaths. Fuel spills at petrol stations will also be a fire risk, with petrol stations catching alight and causing damaging explosions.
Fuel supplies: Fossil fuels have a limited supply and are also used for making many products such a plastic. Why burn it in cars when future generations will need it for products?
Jerkiness: A petrol engine only has a limited operational range of rotation, so an extra mechanical device called a gear box will be required and as the car accelerates it will need to change gears causing an irregular acceleration. It also can’t deliver power when it is stopped, so some device like a clutch is required to allow the engine to provide power to a stationary vehicle. All these extra components add manufacturing costs, maintenance and have a limited lifespan.
Toxic fumes: A petrol vehicle emits toxic fumes which will cause pollution problems especially in large cities. It is also a problem in any underground tunnels and parking stations where air ventilation will have to be added to expel the toxic fumes.
Longevity: A petrol vehicle typically only has a lifespan of 200,000 to 400,000kms before many of the complex components such as the engine, gear box and differential need replacing or servicing which is so expensive that typically the vehicle is scrapped. Electric vehicles last 2–5 times longer.
Efficiency: A petrol vehicle is extremely inefficient, only delivering about 25% of the energy of the petrol as movement, the other 75% is wasted as heat. Plus large amounts of energy is used to extract, refine and transport the petrol. Whereas an electric vehicle is about 70%-80% efficient.
Acceleration: Petrol vehicles will have slow acceleration compared to electric vehicles.

https://thedriven.io/2020/02/24/what...o-petrol-cars/

Old 04-11-2022, 11:08 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Okay so let's take your numbers. The average American drives 25 miles per day. With a decent mpg gas vehicle, one can go, what, 400 miles say?

That means they have to spend 7-10 min at a gas station every 16 days?

Wow. What a crushing blow to one's time. Yes, people have been clamoring for years for a car that eliminates their need to spend a few minutes every week or two at a gas station.

Riiiiight. 2% for a reason.
LOL, you will almost never get 400 miles on an single tank of gas in a gas powered vehicle. Gas powered vehicle achieve their best MPG at highway speeds or a speed of around 55 for a car. Unless you drive 55 all the time and never get stuck in traffic you will never get this much. The number amount of time you spend at a gas station is both a function of miles you drive and at what speed and the size of the tank. Not all gasoline powered vehicles have 400 mile ranges, in fact the true range for most is around 300-400 miles at best.

EV's actually do best in city traffic and sitting in traffic. The EV sweet spot in terms of range is usually the reverse of an EV. So the EV uses little of it's battery while standing at a light vs. the internal combustion engine. In addition as mentioned the EV can charge at the owners' residence eliminating a trip.

Where EV's shine over gas:

Faster 0-40 acceleration
Ability to Charge at home or at a destination rather than always need to go to a station
Less labor in terms of assembly which can lead to cheaper prices (note the Kandi is at K27 11,999...lousy range and imho not worth the discount but cheaper than the Chevy Spark )
Lower running costs(fuels and repair)

Old 04-11-2022, 11:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

Faster 0-40 acceleration
Ability to Charge at home or at a destination rather than always need to go to a station
Less labor in terms of assembly which can lead to cheaper prices (note the Kandi is at K27 11,999...lousy range and imho not worth the discount but cheaper than the Chevy Spark )
Also regenerative brakes. Especially in hilly areas like where I live. In an ICE car, I'm burning gas whether I'm going up or down a hill (although it is less going down). In an EV, I'm generating electricity when I'm braking down a hill.

Another place they shine, at least some of them, is center of gravity. Teslas for instance. Their CG low and centered for maximum handling capabilities, plus it's nearly impossible for them to roll over. The Model X was the first SUV to ever achieve a perfect crash test score.

Old 04-12-2022, 05:01 AM

30,447 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
You know ICE cars have computers in them too right? There's nothing inherent to EV's that would make these actions not possible on ICE.
Some people...

Wait, and you say you're in IT?
Are you the "IT" guy that runs around and plugs in keyboards and mice? I find it hard to believe an "IT" guy doesn't know how computerized today's ICE cars are.
This guy is yanking chains jane. No one can not know this much.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:24 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
LOL, you will almost never get 400 miles on an single tank of gas in a gas powered vehicle. Gas powered vehicle achieve their best MPG at highway speeds or a speed of around 55 for a car. Unless you drive 55 all the time and never get stuck in traffic you will never get this much. The number amount of time you spend at a gas station is both a function of miles you drive and at what speed and the size of the tank. Not all gasoline powered vehicles have 400 mile ranges, in fact the true range for most is around 300-400 miles at best.

EV's actually do best in city traffic and sitting in traffic. The EV sweet spot in terms of range is usually the reverse of an EV. So the EV uses little of it's battery while standing at a light vs. the internal combustion engine. In addition as mentioned the EV can charge at the owners' residence eliminating a trip.

Faster 0-40 acceleration
And you almost never get the "estimated" range from an EV. If it's cold, that affects them, and also when they start to drain, performance degrades.

With ICE, they run the same to the last drop.

Also, many ICE vehicles now have implemented auto shutoffs when stopped at lights, etc.

But if you're going to say on one hand that "most people don't drive very far," you have to admit on the other hand then that ICE vehicles wouldn't need to spend tons of time at a gas station.

That EV apologists are acting like ICE owners are toiling away for hours at a gas station or something. It's a few minutes once in a while, especially if you don't drive much! And if you do drive a lot, even the EV apologists here admit it's not the vehicle for them!

Last edited by paracord; 04-12-2022 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
WTF are you talking about?
FUNCTIONALLY, he's able to plug it at home and have a full tank every morning. There's no way anyone could argue that this is not under the Pro's list of owning an EV if they have a garage and a 220V outlet.

I'm a car enthusiast that's looking to buy an EV and an ICE sports car (yes, with a manual transmission) in the very near future, but you're annoying AF.
Why is it a "Pro" though? If you have to go out in the middle of the night while your car is "charging," hopefully you aren't going far then?

I have to plug my car in every night so that I don't have to spend 10 MINUTES at a gas station once every 10 days or so?

Who was ever asking for that? That seems like a lot of trouble and risk to go through for something that was never really even a problem.

Most people pick up their morning coffee at the gas station anyway. You guys are inventing "benefits" that no one thought were problems!

Old 04-12-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
That's because you only view it from a profit-centric angle, kinda like our capitalism debate.

There's other benefits to rail that make rail travel a net benefit to the country that's not monetary. But I do think it will fail in this country because of special interest groups.
Who wants to cram into a train with a bunch of other people when you have a car or truck and the ability to traverse the country on your own?

Americans don't like public transport. That's for poor countries. We invented practical automobiles so that we don't have to travel like peasants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies