Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 11:58 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Right. The bottom line is electrics can and will deliver 150-200 foot pounds or more of very low RMP torque to each wheel when needed. Outside range issues which will improve the live performance of EVs is just amazing.
Why are all the "performance" vehicles still ICE then? Even from supposedly "green" companies like Jaguar that are supposed to go "all electric" in just a few short years?

why are all the race cars in the world still ICE?

electric motors have good low end torque but seems like they are crap on the high end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 12:12 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Why are all the "performance" vehicles still ICE then? Even from supposedly "green" companies like Jaguar that are supposed to go "all electric" in just a few short years?

electric motors have good low end torque but seems like they are crap on the high end.
Even NASCAR is talking going green with EV

the Corvette will be available as an EV by next year (later next year actually as Model 2024 comes out in October) and will be all electric for the ninth-generation C9 Chevy Corvette is due out in 2026

Old 04-12-2022, 12:13 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:

The US Navy has been using diesel and then nuclear electric power to great effect for decades.

Just about every modern locomotive is diesel electric.

We are on the doorstep of electric race and drag cars. We've had ICE engines for about 140 years with roots into the 1700s. Give electrics a little time.

Old 04-12-2022, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And just like cell phones, EV battery plants will slowly hold a lesser charge, greatly reducing the distance you can drive before the battery power runs out.

The mindset of the EV car enthusiasts is to live in a fantasy world, where batteries are perfect. They refuse to acknowledge the downsides. They ignore the ecological damage caused by mining the finite, rare earth materials. They are ignorant that Communist China and other hostile nations control the vast majority of these rare earth materials. They ignore the energy intensive process that goes into the manufacturing that's required to produce these batteries.

You just walk into the showroom floor, and their it is, a zero emissions, perfect, environmentally friendly car. /swoon
Don't forget the really cool iPhone app!

Old 04-12-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Right now that lifespan is about 450K miles for a Tesla. With the new 4680 batteries, it’s closer to 1 million miles.

Wouldn’t want to keep an ICE going that long. Think of all the maintenance. I’ve never owned a car long enough to put 450k miles on it, have you?
Uh huh. I can't wait to see the ability for one of those monstrous batteries to hold a charge with that much use on it.

You guys believe in fairy dust.

Funny that their warranty is only 8 years/100k - 150k miles (depending on model), and they stipulate that, 70% retention of a charge is the floor that is NOT COVERED! It has to get into the 60s or lower before it's covered, meaning that your "250 mile range" when new is now 30% less than that and they consider that "not covered!"

Haha.

Tesla doesn't even recommend charging to 100% unless you're "going on a longer trip" as that adversely affects the battery.

Also, note, PRE 2020, they had "unlimited" warranties on some models. There was also no 70% charge retention floor. Wonder what happened?

Last edited by paracord; 04-12-2022 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-12-2022, 01:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:

Again, very uninformed.
All "performance" vehicles are not gas powered. Rimac makes some of the highest performance cars in the world, all electric. The Lotus Evija is all electric. The Porsche Taycan is all electric

All race cars in the world are not internal combustion.
Formula E is electric. FIA world Rallycross RX1e is electric.
By why are other race classes internal combustion? Regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. you say your not biased, yet you continue to spew your garbage

EV's are surging

and At least 10 automakers are promising to make only electric options in the coming years

Jaguar will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2025...yep no more ICE vehicles from Jaguar
Bentley will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2030...yep no more ICE vehicles from Bentley

General Motors will be ALL ELECTRIC by 2030...yep no more ICE vehicles from GM, the company will expand its electric lineup, so that by 2025 there'll be 30 new EVs under the GM brands like Chevy, Cadillac, and GMC.... ouch, so much for your Corvette

Ford (Europe)...European Fords will be only electric by 2026

Toyota..In April, the company announced a new goal: 70 electrified models (including hybrids) from all its brands by 2025. That includes the Toyota bZ4X, a concept SUV. It'll be part of Toyota's fully electric "Beyond Zero" brand.

plus Tesla, Lucid, Rivian, and fisker are all electric only
The Lotus Emira is their final gas powered car

Old 04-12-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

The Lotus Emira is their final gas powered car
Until they are on the brink of bankruptcy. Then they will bring them back.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:02 PM

134 posts, read 348,179 times
I don't believe full EV's are quite there yet but they will get there. The range is not enough for people who like to long range travel, and the charging station network is not widely available. Plus fast charging for non Tesla EV's is unavailable.

Due to the above I decided to buy a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime plug in hybrid. I can plug it in at home overnight in a standard 120v plug and have up to 50 EV miles (depending on outside temperature) available to me for the day. My daily driving is 95% under 50 miles so I pretty much drive on electric most of the time. I do a few long trips per year and this is why the RAV4 Prime is the perfect choice for me. When I am going on my 1500 mile road trip, I don't have to worry about finding a place to stop and charge and sit around for 1-2 hours while it charges. I can go 600 miles on a full tank of gas. It's also nice to have that boost of electric power when I need it. 302HP is nice.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:45 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That depends very much on what you drive.

A spartan long block kit for my Jeep diesel is $10,500. Complete engine $22,750 in the box.
Sure it will be expensive, if you buy a brand new, complete engine for a top of the line vehicle, from the manufacturer.

The Toyota Rav 4 is one of the most popular cars. You can easily drive its original engine for 150,000 or more miles. You can buy a newly rebuilt engine for 2-4k. The current price tag for the Bolt EV battery pack is about $15,000

Toyota RAV4 replacement engine prices $2k - $4k

The reason is because ICEs can be rebuilt, normally the main components can simply be reused. EV battery packs cannot be rebuilt, they have to be manufactured all over again from scratch. Which means tones of raw materials need to be mined and processed all over again. That is very dirty and energy intensive.

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-12-2022 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-12-2022, 02:54 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
I don't believe full EV's are quite there yet but they will get there. The range is not enough for people who like to long range travel, and the charging station network is not widely available. Plus fast charging for non Tesla EV's is unavailable.

Due to the above I decided to buy a 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime plug in hybrid. I can plug it in at home overnight in a standard 120v plug and have up to 50 EV miles (depending on outside temperature) available to me for the day. My daily driving is 95% under 50 miles so I pretty much drive on electric most of the time. I do a few long trips per year and this is why the RAV4 Prime is the perfect choice for me. When I am going on my 1500 mile road trip, I don't have to worry about finding a place to stop and charge and sit around for 1-2 hours while it charges. I can go 600 miles on a full tank of gas. It's also nice to have that boost of electric power when I need it. 302HP is nice.
Hybrids are the more sensible choice. But even they still require rare earth metals, unfortunately these materials are rare, and unfriendly nations control the majority of those materials.

Until we can find an alternative to the ICE, which uses common and abundant materials, but if not, then those materials can be easily and economically recycled, then EVs are not the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies