Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 01:45 PM

1,866 posts, read 934,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

Dr. Seuss got cancelled by the left, and they're complaining about Conservatives trying to ban sexual books from the reach of children.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:46 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
In addition to DeSantis making waves as he tries to make a culture run for the White House, conservatives elsewhere are trying to remove books from the shelves of public libraries. In Texas it has been seen that
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ks-censorship/

A local judge came in and physically removed books from shelves. Has he heard of the First Amendment? It is notable that the library protesters stacked the new library board, closed meetings to the public and named the chief protester the vice chair of a new library board https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ks-censorship/

Doesn't Texas have an open meetings law? These folks are setting themselves up to pay legal fees to the ACLU.

Its not just Tesas, either. The above-cited article notes:

I wonder who will supply the matches for the book burning parties?
What a bunch of liberal BS. Libs look at "1984" like it was an instruction manual, not a warning. Libs are the fascists of our time who ban books, free speech, and ANYTHING that disagrees with marxist propaganda.

Liberals are the fascists who ban books. Banning a HISTORICALLY INCORRECT MARXIST PROPAGANDA AGENDA from public schools is not censorship, it is rational editing of false information.

LIBS, ON THE OTHER HAND, BAN CLASSICS AND FACTUAL INFORMATION THAT CHALLENGES THEIR INSANE AGENDA. A failure to appreciate the difference is something only a liberal would do.

Is there a piece of classic literature that has not fallen under the careless blade of liberalism? Huck Finn? Uncle Tom's Cabin? Heart of Darkness? The Great Gatsby? Ulysses? The Lord of the Flies? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Grapes of Wrath?

Libs are worse than the Nazis, as they have banned far more classic literature than them. Liberals are more radical and akin to the Taliban, who will destroy and slaughter any literature, art form, monument, or statue that offends them.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:48 PM

2,284 posts, read 637,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluddZone View Post
It’s all about manufacturing consent.
Basically take something benign and turn it into a huge issue. Then you got your base dustracted by a nothing burger and you can pretty much pass any policies you want while keeping everyone hyper focused on a wedge issue.
This is not a mild issue, it's about having the best textbooks to teach our kids. The garbage textbooks that try to slip in concepts from CRT/SEL into science and mathematics textbooks will be tossed into the bin where they belong, in Florida.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:54 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Then why is the left upset at the right for banning CRT, if the right is “blowing it way out of proportion”?

There’s no logical explanation for the left to be upset that the right is banning something that “doesn’t exist”….

im a lefty im not aware of anybody being upset around me

Old 04-17-2022, 01:56 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
In addition to DeSantis making waves as he tries to make a culture run for the White House, conservatives elsewhere are trying to remove books from the shelves of public libraries. In Texas it has been seen that
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ks-censorship/

A local judge came in and physically removed books from shelves. Has he heard of the First Amendment? It is notable that the library protesters stacked the new library board, closed meetings to the public and named the chief protester the vice chair of a new library board https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ks-censorship/

Doesn't Texas have an open meetings law? These folks are setting themselves up to pay legal fees to the ACLU.

Its not just Tesas, either. The above-cited article notes:

I wonder who will supply the matches for the book burning parties?
I don’t know, maybe one of your liberal buddies might have one as well.

https://www.newsweek.com/when-it-com...-1696045?amp=1

Old 04-17-2022, 02:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Sexually explicit books showing sex scenes in images shouldn't be on school shelves.
My post involved a PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Quote:
You are conflating public school standards with a nationwide dystopian novel.
Highly appropriate since you see they tried to ban that novel, too.

Quote:
Which side is wetting their pants because Elon Musk wants free speech on Twitter?
The first amendment applies to public officials and Musk is not a public official.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Dr. Seuss got cancelled by the left, and they're complaining about Conservatives trying to ban sexual books from the reach of children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
This is laughable from someone who is ok with banning Dr. Seuss. Talking from both sides of your mouth does not make a person more intelligent.
Those folks wanted to ban a picture in Dr. Seuss which was thought to be outdated and inappropriate. It wasn't me in favor of that.

You see how internet rumors spread?

Old 04-17-2022, 02:05 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
more good on Florida.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What a bunch of liberal BS. Libs look at "1984" like it was an instruction manual, not a warning. Libs are the fascists of our time who ban books, free speech, and ANYTHING that disagrees with marxist propaganda.
Easily said. For instance?

Quote:
Liberals are the fascists who ban books. Banning a HISTORICALLY INCORRECT MARXIST PROPAGANDA AGENDA from public schools is not censorship, it is rational editing of false information.
See my statement above.

Quote:
LIBS, ON THE OTHER HAND, BAN CLASSICS AND FACTUAL INFORMATION THAT CHALLENGES THEIR INSANE AGENDA. A failure to appreciate the difference is something only a liberal would do.
I can only think of some LANGUAGE which was objected to in a classic. I believe the term: 'N-word Jim' in Huckleberry Finn. Even Twain apologized for that.

Quote:
Is there a piece of classic literature that has not fallen under the careless blade of liberalism? Huck Finn? Uncle Tom's Cabin? Heart of Darkness? The Great Gatsby? Ulysses? The Lord of the Flies? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Grapes of Wrath?
Nope. 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Grapes of Wrath' got the wrath of conservatives from when they were penned until now, that I can attest to. Others I have not seen liberals try to ban.

Quote:
Libs are worse than the Nazis ...
Never mind. Godwin's law has hammered your post.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
more good on Florida.
My post was on TX. The threads were merged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies