Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 08:14 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It goes beyond that. The idea is that Americans should be ashamed of themselves.
I don't know where you get that or if your statement is accurate. Probably not.

It is not a theory that Americans should be ashamed. History is history. Shameful things did happen.

Conservatives are highly defensive about racial issues.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:17 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I don't know where you get that or if your statement is accurate. Probably not.

It is not a theory that Americans should be ashamed. History is history. Shameful things did happen.

The theory is that American prosperity, even in free states, depended on economic rents earned by slaves. It is inherently a Marxist theory.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
The theory is that American prosperity, even in free states, depended on economic rents earned by slaves. It is inherently a Marxist theory.
Well, is it accurate or not? It sounds more cynical than marxist to me.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well, is it accurate or not? It sounds more cynical than marxist to me.
Either way I'm not willing to have my eventual grandchildren taught that they live in a country no better than any others.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Either way I'm not willing to have my eventual grandchildren taught that they live in a country no better than any others.
Is the theory inherently a comparison or just and interpretation of history? Your explanations of and objections to CRT seem kind of thin.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Is the theory inherently a comparison or just and interpretation of history? Your explanations of and objections to CRT seem kind of thin.
Let's see yours. You can link me to an earlier post if you like.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Let's see yours. You can link me to an earlier post if you like.
Its just a historical perspective to me. Sorta like 'legal realism'.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:56 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Because they're not fairly leveled.

For example, you can help try to cover up the police murder of a black youth and become Ambassador to Japan like Rahm Emanuel. Appointed by Biden.

This despite BLM specifically noting the victim and the well documented (failed) cover-up.

So basically, racial issues are bypassed for some and heightened, where allowed.

You apparently have no idea how politically infiltrated most civil rights organizations are.

Ironically, racism accusations flow freely in the democratic nominations but then disappear when up against a republican LOL.

Clearly the R's have racists, just look around this forum. But the D's have them too, just without the free pass cards.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
These book bans show that the Right hates free speech and will fight against it with every fiber of their being.

Conservatives want to be told what to do and think and not allow others freedom of thought and action.
Considering how bad Democrats have shot themselves in the foot, Republicans now feel free to pass whatever extreme laws God or their far-right constituents tell them to. Only those states with an option for citizens to use the petitioning process to change things can do something about it, if there is no way many would vote for any Democrats. Before conservative move to a Red State, they better make sure the state doesn't have a petitioning process to vote on overturning or to create a new law. Kansas is an outstanding example of a Red State where doing that isn't allowed.

For example, as to how far extreme can go. In Oklahoma, a doctor who performs an abortion is subject to prison for up to 10 years and a $100,000 fine. In Iraq, the same penalty is only 1 year and 100 dinars fine.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-17-2022 at 09:35 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 09:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What a bunch of liberal BS. Libs look at "1984" like it was an instruction manual, not a warning. Libs are the fascists of our time who ban books, free speech, and ANYTHING that disagrees with marxist propaganda.

Liberals are the fascists who ban books. Banning a HISTORICALLY INCORRECT MARXIST PROPAGANDA AGENDA from public schools is not censorship, it is rational editing of false information.

LIBS, ON THE OTHER HAND, BAN CLASSICS AND FACTUAL INFORMATION THAT CHALLENGES THEIR INSANE AGENDA. A failure to appreciate the difference is something only a liberal would do.

Is there a piece of classic literature that has not fallen under the careless blade of liberalism? Huck Finn? Uncle Tom's Cabin? Heart of Darkness? The Great Gatsby? Ulysses? The Lord of the Flies? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Grapes of Wrath?

Libs are worse than the Nazis, as they have banned far more classic literature than them. Liberals are more radical and akin to the Taliban, who will destroy and slaughter any literature, art form, monument, or statue that offends them.
But like it or not, one of the best ways to promote sales of a book is to ban it. The list of books the Christian Right wants banned is very long, so in effect they promote lots of reading. If the books can't be found in the stores, they'll be found elswhere.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 04-17-2022 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies