Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 07:06 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Likewise, how do you know it is a real problem. Simple answer is "you don't."
I think people are naive if they think the left are not going to politicize math, and turn yet another topic into an exercise to blame whites. The fascistic Democratic Party left only march in one direction, and it's down the "hate whitey" road. It's only a matter of time before everything in our schools revolves around CRT and the victim vs oppressor narrative

Math Suffers From White Supremacy, According to a Bill Gates-Funded Course - NewsWeek

The screenshot making the rounds on Twitter is an image of the EquitableMath.org website that begins with: "White supremacy culture shows up in math classrooms when... The focus is on getting the 'right' answer."

That's followed by a paragraph that reads: "The concept of mathematics being purely objective is unequivocally false, and teaching it is even much less so. Upholding the idea that there are always right and wrong answers perpetuate objectivity as well as fear of open conflict."

Old 04-17-2022, 07:15 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Folks the attack on math because the results are different is real.

It's meant to provide excuses and explanations when in reality it's just that BS.

<Leaving this completely racial neutral, "they" = struggling students>

My relative that taught Kindergarten (iowa) for years, "They show up to school their first day, they've never been read a book. They don't know the alphabet, or their numbers. "

<Fast forward>

Kid is wayyyyy behind can't keep up, doesn't do homework etc. and once they get threatened with being held back? The mom shows up breathing fire need to have pricipal or otherwise physical security around.

Heck, I had this occur with my kid that got in trouble, talked to principal over phone and you could literally HEAR the shock in their voice as I apologized for what they did and said there would be additional penalties at home beyond detention.

Fast forward...they're an engineer....and overall good person...gee parenting, who knew?

P.S> Unless the kid had developmental issues, brain damage etc. if they grew up in my house, they'd be better than average at math today. Take that to the bank and stop making excuses and trying to change the measures because you don't measure up.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:16 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well maybe you should read up a bit on what has been happening in the K-12 "math world".

The ivory tower think tanks "think" that African American math education is different than all other skin colors.
That is why you don't see many Blacks in STEM jobs.

This isn't new as papers go back years.

2+2=4

Does math care what skin color you are ?
Does math care what language you speak ?

YET...we have researchers saying that African Americans have racial "issues" that impede their learning ability.

And so now we have ...CRT
So you still haven’t indicated which books they banned or referenced the text. How about answering the question, forgive me but just having DeSantis make claims doesn’t exactly give anyone confidence.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:19 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I believe that poster that you are being rude to is a teacher.
Yes she is if you can believe CD and also very far right. How is criticizing a response that doesn’t include facts amount to bring rude. They did not name the books they banned or the reason. Teachers should be more discerning before they jump to conclusions.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:34 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
My kid was in line for lunch and let a girl he liked cut in front of him. Another male who claims he is female (or gay - he isn't quite sure but knows he is something different) told my son to let him in to and he said no. He said why and he said you aren't a girl and my 10 year old son had to go to the office.
I would have gone down to school and let them know how I felt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveIt View Post
My kid was in line for lunch and let a girl he liked cut in front of him. Another male who claims he is female (or gay - he isn't quite sure but knows he is something different) told my son to let him in to and he said no. He said why and he said you aren't a girl and my 10 year old son had to go to the office.
I would have been all over it. You got to speak up. The more that do the faster this insanity ends.
Is this the kind of America that our forefathers fought for in 1776, 1812, 1861, 1898, 1917 and 1941?

Old 04-17-2022, 07:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Uh,no. My 16 year old grandson said a teacher was instructing them that white people were born evil. A local teacher said that the Dept. of Education was offering grants to schools who teach CRT.
You are being misled about what CRT is then. Its something you got taught in college, its not generally something taught outside of that.

Whats being used as an excuse is...oh noes, it talks about things we did that were wrong, and I dont like that, ban it!

This is some of the stuff thats obscense from the Republicans.

Because sure, tell us all here how MATH teaches CRT.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:06 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You are being misled about what CRT is then. Its something you got taught in college, its not generally something taught outside of that.

Whats being used as an excuse is...oh noes, it talks about things we did that were wrong, and I dont like that, ban it!

This is some of the stuff thats obscense from the Republicans.

Because sure, tell us all here how MATH teaches CRT.
It goes beyond that. The idea is that Americans should be ashamed of themselves. My ancestors, escaping from conditions barely better in Europe, don't deserve the blame. I refuse to be ashamed of my country.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:07 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone found any examples of text in these math books that are teaching CRT?
FL authorities have refused to cite either the language or the texts.

Old 04-17-2022, 08:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not all the books were rejected solely due to CRT.
That is what they said. However they have not stated which books or what lnguage is objectionable.

So, do you feel secure as to their explanation?

Old 04-17-2022, 08:14 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It goes beyond that. The idea is that Americans should be ashamed of themselves. My ancestors, escaping from conditions barely better in Europe, don't deserve the blame. I refuse to be ashamed of my country.
Do you have an example of how that nonsense is being taught, explained or somehow presented in a K-12 math book? Nobody seems to have an example of why these 50 math books are being banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies