Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 06:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I’m willing to bet Disney and Orange County are probably the economic driver for the state of Florida. It likely brings in the most tourist revenue out of anywhere else.

That said Democrats control most of the major offices in Orange County. They are probably shocked that DeSantis is this dumb. He literally gave them the baseball bat to beat him with. What a gift to the Democrats.

your "Demings says catastrophic" (and this isn't Val, who is the Congresswoman for that area, but the mayor) ....

that was the headline and the lede. But he also said this (non paywall version):

Quote:
“Until we have all of the specifics, it’s hard to say what the specific answers or impacts will be,” he said. “We’re like everybody else trying to understand what the Legislature truly is trying to do in this case.
https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25796...ange-taxpayers

Disney may very well be the largest single generator of tourist revenue, but it's less than half just in Orange County.

If Disney were a private company owned by a bazillionaire like the Walton family, Bezos, Gates, etc - they might very well play hardball and threaten to leave. Disney is shareholder money, and they aren't going anywhere.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:55 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
your "Demings says catastrophic" (and this isn't Val, who is the Congresswoman for that area, but the mayor) ....

that was the headline and the lede. But he also said this (non paywall version):

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/25796...ange-taxpayers

Disney may very well be the largest single generator of tourist revenue, but it's less than half just in Orange County.

If Disney were a private company owned by a bazillionaire like the Walton family, Bezos, Gates, etc - they might very well play hardball and threaten to leave. Disney is shareholder money, and they aren't going anywhere.
True, but even if they were privately owned, anyone who thinks Disney World is moving, has never been to Disney World.

The Parks alone would be like relocating an entire city. Not a small town, a CITY. Then you have all the resorts, monorail, infrastructure like the water treatment plants, that town that is within the grounds with all the stores and restaurants (I forget the name), parking facilities so large it takes 15 minutes to drive from one end to the other, etc, etc, etc. It's never going to happen. To even suggest it is moronic.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
All good questions but fire departments aren't paid by the fire and neither of us has any idea what sanitation, road repair and other things cost. This should have been documented before they voted to dissolve the district and that should have been documented by the legislature.

Here is the disclosure by Disney as to what they pay in taxes. ...
https://www.disneyeveryday.com/find-...636a299c775102
here is the one item - in taxes - that is affected:

"In addition to the county taxes, Walt Disney World Resort paid more than $77.8 million in taxes to the Reedy Creek Improvement District in 2013. These tax dollars go toward building hundreds of millions of dollars worth of public infrastructure at no cost to taxpayers."

Old 04-23-2022, 07:08 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Did I miss the examples where Disney has been a bad steward of the land? Have they failed to provide the necessary services they are responsible for? Are they not paying their required taxes? Or did they choose to speak against something the Governor supports?

Going to be interesting how the local governments now have to pay for and provide all of these services...

Old 04-23-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I’m willing to bet Disney and Orange County are probably the economic driver for the state of Florida. It likely brings in the most tourist revenue out of anywhere else.

That said Democrats control most of the major offices in Orange County. They are probably shocked that DeSantis is this dumb. He literally gave them the baseball bat to beat him with. What a gift to the Democrats.
furthermore ...

in 2018, Andrew Gillum won Orange County 62-37. Osceola 60-39.

Similar results for POTUS in 2020.

so, I suppose Orange County (especially) will simply go to the property owners and soak them some more, because that's what Dems do.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
link?

this doesn't take effect til next year.
"some people have speculated that it could mean a tax increase of 20%".

this is based purely on the concept that Orange County generates ~700M annually in property tax and that Reedy Creek pays itself ~150M in taxes a year.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
True, but even if they were privately owned, anyone who thinks Disney World is moving, has never been to Disney World.

The Parks alone would be like relocating an entire city. Not a small town, a CITY. Then you have all the resorts, monorail, infrastructure like the water treatment plants, that town that is within the grounds with all the stores and restaurants (I forget the name), parking facilities so large it takes 15 minutes to drive from one end to the other, etc, etc, etc. It's never going to happen. To even suggest it is moronic.
of course it is. But there are many in this thread and out in the real world suggesting just such a thing.

And a bunch of folks with 0 economic thought claiming Disney's money spent to run Reedy Creek would just disappear, leaving Orange County to pick up the tab.

Heck, the MSNBC article https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/21/disn...dissolved.html

"every taxpayer in FL" may have to pay. That's just extraordinary BS. The only way that would possibly happen is if a county defaulted on its debts, and the entire state decided it was important to step in.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:30 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
of course it is. But there are many in this thread and out in the real world suggesting just such a thing.

And a bunch of folks with 0 economic thought claiming Disney's money spent to run Reedy Creek would just disappear, leaving Orange County to pick up the tab.

Heck, the MSNBC article https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/21/disn...dissolved.html

"every taxpayer in FL" may have to pay. That's just extraordinary BS. The only way that would possibly happen is if a county defaulted on its debts, and the entire state decided it was important to step in.
I know there is. And I know you were not suggesting that. Just for clarity, I was referring to the people who are out there who are really suggesting it.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Did I miss the examples where Disney has been a bad steward of the land? Have they failed to provide the necessary services they are responsible for? Are they not paying their required taxes? Or did they choose to speak against something the Governor supports?

Going to be interesting how the local governments now have to pay for and provide all of these services...
you kind of missed everything apparently.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I know there is. And I know you were not suggesting that. Just for clarity, I was referring to the people who are out there who are really suggesting it.
oh, I know.

by the way for all - DeSantis signed it into law last night.

here's your CBSNews link, with a "fake news headline"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-...is-signs-bill/

"Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signs bill that strips Disney of special tax status after company criticized "Don't Say Gay" law"

"Disney" still hasn't stated any specific objection to the Parental Rights law. I'm not sure I've seen any figure do so. It certainly could have been a bit clearer, to specify perhaps just when sexuality and gender could be "age appropriate". And I'm pretty sure the legislators didn't want to prohibit K-3 materials calling Johnny a boy and Susie a girl, but they technically did by some interpretations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies