Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 10:36 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Disney is allowed to have a voice and they must be willing to face any potential consequences that come form that. Governor DeSantis is also allowed to have his opinion and he must be willing to face any potential consequences that come from it, too.
I agree but let the consequences actually apply to the violation...

Old 04-23-2022, 10:41 AM

But he has made the morally correct decision and that's what matters, those 2 counties will be happy to take one for the team. Its not like The Villages will be affected by this...

Old 04-23-2022, 10:43 AM

6,038 posts, read 2,854,310 times
He's raising taxes by eliminating tax breaks for corporations?... I thought this is what Democrats very much supported?

To raise taxes, you have to increase the rate of tax of which people pay. That is not what happened here.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:44 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is Disney not allowed a voice as a tax paying citizen or is only DeSantis approved comments allowed? Let the people speak on how they feel about the Disney Parks with their attendance and let the state step in when they break a valid law to hold those guilty accountable.

But don't eliminate in one fell swoop an infrastructure implemented and approved by the state that has worked well and benefitted all involved. Will he be going after Universal next for their Harry Potter World which was lambasted by the religious right as they tried to ban the books in public schools and now its a Theme Park!

I wonder why the states GOP and Religious right aren't worried about all the strip clubs I've see in Lauderdale and Miami just driving around, I guess their billboards are more tasteful..
Everyone has a right to voice their opinion but it seems liberals only bring that up when it's for a cause they approve of. There was a lot of backlash for the bakery whose opinion it was to not bake a cake for a gay couple. Hobby Lobby who opposed mandatory contraception for employees. Why weren't you advocating for their right to free speech then?

Every company has to remember that " their opinion " is not going to sit well with 50% of their consumers. How come libs aren't going after Disney for the low pay for their workers or the $$$$ grab with raising all their prices keeping a family dream from becoming a reality because poor and the middle class can no longer afford to go to Disney. Libs are all about equity and equal rights aren't they? There are more Americans who can't live on Disney's pay or take a vacation to Disney than all the trans / bi / zeds combined. I think libs have their priorities mixed up.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:45 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
With the increased taxes Disney will pay - I think it's a wash folks.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:48 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
After signing the legislation into law, DeSantis' office issued a statement clarifying that "it is not the understanding or expectation for SB 4-C, abolishing independent special districts, to cause any tax increases for the residents of any area of Florida."

Old 04-23-2022, 10:50 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
After signing the legislation into law, DeSantis' office issued a statement clarifying that "it is not the understanding or expectation for SB 4-C, abolishing independent special districts, to cause any tax increases for the residents of any area of Florida."
well that's all folks. it's a wrap.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Do you think Disney should get individually unique special tax exemption and their own regulatory power to be able to create their own nuclear power plant without state approval. Seems a bit extreme corporatist to me.
I've heard this talking point of Disney "create their own nuclear power plant without state approval" and I wonder where it comes from to be so often repeated. It is completely false and the ultimate strawman fallacy. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses and regulates civilian use of nuclear energy to protect public health and safety and the environment. Disney could not build one because they are in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Now mind you, I think it would be a great thing if Disney DID power itself with nuclear energy since it is a great, pollution free source of power and the U.S. needs more such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
imagine if this was because Disney announced they were going to build a mini nuclear reactor for their parks, or use untreated lake water to cook in restaurants (I mean, the high heat would kill bacteria, right?) or any number of "environmental" issues important to Dems. And things that Disney theoretically had the ability to do since they were so "self-governed". They'd already have the pitchforks out against these self-governing abilities of a mega-corp.
See above about the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District does not set rules on water quality and use, nor does any city or county in Florida. Those standards are set by state and federal statutes.

The next talking point will be that because Disney is in the Reedy Creek Improvement District they could carry out executions for line jumpers if they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Governor DeSantis is right to be spiteful against a corporation that wishes to sexualize and confuse children, rather than provide them with "magical" family-friendly entertainment. Children deserve the sanctity of the innocence of childhood for as long as they can. There was a poll that stated that Republicans and Independents do not believe Disney can provide family-friendly entertainment. And, is Disney not acting "spiteful and vindictive, like a child having a tantrum", themselves?
Ron DeSantis can be as mad as he likes, but in his capacity as governor he cannot take revenge on companies. That is forbidden by the U.S. Constitution. On the practical side, it makes him look petty and does not speak well of temperament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yeah, you missed the part where Disney also vowed to use its tremendous corporate power to get legislation overturned.
Which is Disney's right under Citizen's United. As Conservatives we can't cheer when Liberals desire to censor and muzzle is slapped down and then be happy when someone we are mad at gets censored and muzzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Remember when the Conservatives rejected the one-person-one-vote democratic standard during the Civil Rights movement of the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s …?
Conservatives were never against the civil rights movement. They are and were against the violation of personal and individual freedoms under the guise of "civil rights".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yet another right wing talking point.
Oh please, NY Mag. Do better.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Everyone has a right to voice their opinion but it seems liberals only bring that up when it's for a cause they approve of. There was a lot of backlash for the bakery whose opinion it was to not bake a cake for a gay couple. Hobby Lobby who opposed mandatory contraception for employees. Why weren't you advocating for their right to free speech then?

Every company has to remember that " their opinion " is not going to sit well with 50% of their consumers. How come libs aren't going after Disney for the low pay for their workers or the $$$$ grab with raising all their prices keeping a family dream from becoming a reality because poor and the middle class can no longer afford to go to Disney. Libs are all about equity and equal rights aren't they? There are more Americans who can't live on Disney's pay or take a vacation to Disney than all the trans / bi / zeds combined. I think libs have their priorities mixed up.
As I said let people speak with their attendance and if your very generous estimate that its 50% then that will bring a strong message. And Florida is a Right to Work state why aren't Conservatives eliminating that so the Disney Workers have more opportunities towards better pay; i'll tell you why its because the Agricultural Workers would organize and unionize and that would then be costing all those GOP members real money.

The right likes to play the moral high ground only when it suits their politicians but never when it affects their wallets..

Old 04-23-2022, 11:16 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Special Districts normally give a business a lower tax rate than everyone else. So Disney's taxes should go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies