Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 11:19 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times

Advertisements

This is better:
“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”

~John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage

Old 04-23-2022, 11:26 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,372,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
After signing the legislation into law, DeSantis' office issued a statement clarifying that "it is not the understanding or expectation for SB 4-C, abolishing independent special districts, to cause any tax increases for the residents of any area of Florida."
So basically we have another liberal that can't comprehend what the intent of the law really was.

It's like that with everything. They only read into it what they want it to say, not what it is. In the end they just make fool of themselves.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:27 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So basically we have another liberal that can't comprehend what the intent of the law really was.

It's like that with everything. They only read into it what they want it to say, not what it is. In the end they just make fool of themselves.

Yet they keep on doing it.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:31 AM

1,603 posts, read 868,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Residents in two central Florida counties could be responsible for a large tax bill after Governor Ron DeSantis signed a measure that eliminates Walt Disney World's special improvement district.

On Friday afternoon, DeSantis signed into law a bill to dissolve the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special district that came into existence in 1967 that allowed Walt Disney World to essentially self-govern, according to Reuters.

As a result, residents of Orange and Osceola counties, where Walt Disney World is located, could become responsible for the district's liabilities of between $1 billion and $2 billion, which could lead to potential double-digit tax increases for county residents.

On Wednesday, Florida's GOP-controlled state Senate passed a measure to remove the special self-governing status from Walt Disney World in that state by a vote of 23-16. On Thursday, the measure went to the House, where lawmakers voted 70-38 in favor of dissolving the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-desant...x-bill-1700103

Yeah raising property takes and giving Disney a big tax break will definitely stick it the the libs I thought Republicans were against raising taxes?

What do you think the property tax assessment on Disney World and it's associated properties will be? The answer is...a lot.

Disney wasn't exactly taxing itself to pay for the interest on it's outstanding debt, but it WAS taxing private property and businesses within Reedy Creek and then making up any shortfall. Now, Disney will be taxed too.

Everybody needs a lesson in how municipal budgets work. They borrow money through issuing bonds and then pay those bonds with yearly tax income. Even small municipalities carry tens of millions in tax advantaged debt to keep the lights on and wheels turning.

The combined population of Orange and Osceola counties is just over 2 million. Miami-Dade has 2.7 million. Here is the outstanding debt of Miami-Dade, which counts in multiple billions of dollars. Some of their bond issues are in the $500 to $600 million dollar range and this document goes on for pages and pages, just to give you an idea of what it takes to provide such services to millions of people.

https://www.miamidade.gov/budget/lib...appendix-t.pdf

I have personally been involved in a small scale example of what Disney is doing. My POA was run by the developer when I first moved in and hardly had any money because the developer was just making up any shortfalls rather than paying their dues on unimproved lots they owned. We had a minor controversy with some BLM flags and the developer decided to turn the board over to us and had to start paying their annual dues and low and behold we suddenly had a budget to work with.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:36 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
DeSantis already has a history of raising taxes. No surprise he did it again.

In 2021 DeSantis raised taxes in the amount of $1 billion on all Floridians for online purchases. DeSantis used this tax money so businesses don't have to pay as much money into the unemployment compensation pool.
So now DeSantis has raised taxes on Floridians a 2nd time in 20
22 by having local taxpayer's cover Disney's $1 billion dept plus $20+ million annual budget.

DeSantis loves to raise taxes on people to cover the expenses for businesses. He did in in 2021 and again in 2022. See below for the 2021 tax increase.

https://www.news4jax.com/money/2021/...sales-tax-law/

Ready to pay more? DeSantis signs online sales tax law. Tax on Florida consumers will allow tax cut for businesses

Gov. Ron DeSantis late Monday signed into law a plan to require out-of-state online retailers to collect sales taxes on purchases made by Floridians, with the estimated $1 billion a year in revenue going to curb a pair of taxes on Florida businesses.

Last edited by Variable; 04-23-2022 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-23-2022, 11:39 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,420,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post

The intent of the law was to punish an entity that dared to publicly take issue with a DeSantis policy. I don't understand the workings of the Special District, but assume that it was intended to provide Disney with some sort of favorable tax treatment. I'd be totally fine with the Repubs eliminating the Special District if they were doing because they wanted to end corporate welfare. But that's not why they did it. It was payback to punish a political opponent, and to send a signal to other entities that would dare do the same.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:43 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is there a method to Desantis’s alleged madness? I know he wants to run for President. But is he going to run for re-election as Governor?
he's running for re-election this year.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:45 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The intent of the law was to punish an entity that dared to publicly take issue with a DeSantis policy. I don't understand the workings of the Special District, but assume that it was intended to provide Disney with some sort of favorable tax treatment. I'd be totally fine with the Repubs eliminating the Special District if they were doing because they wanted to end corporate welfare. But that's not why they did it. It was payback to punish a political opponent, and to send a signal to other entities that would dare do the same.
Special tax districts always give the business a lower tax rate as an incentive to build. Most are eliminated after about 30 years. Since Disney was running their own taxing district, they could keep taxes at a lower rate than surrounding businesses. This actually should increase their taxes.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Remember when the Conservatives rejected the one-person-one-vote democratic standard during the Civil Rights movement of the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s …?
no, I don't. Now, I was only alive from the mid-60's on, and a voter from the early 80's on. But I do not recall a platform from the "Conservatives" (or Republicans) opposing the rights of each adult eligible to register to vote from doing so and voting.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
……and most of them were Democrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Yet another right wing talking point.

The Conservative Fantasy History of Civil Rights

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2012...il-rights.html
The civil rights movement, once a controversial left-wing fringe, has grown deeply embedded into the fabric of our national story. This is a salutary development, but a problematic one for conservatives, who are the direct political descendants of (and, in the case of some of the older members of the movement, the exact same people as) the strident opponents of the civil rights movement.

It has thus become necessary for conservatives to craft an alternative story, one that absolves their own ideology of any guilt. The right has dutifully set itself to its task, circulating its convoluted version of history, honing it to the point where it can be repeated by any defensive College Republican in his dorm room. Kevin Williamson’s cover story in National Review is the latest version of what is rapidly congealing into conservatism’s revisionist dogma.
I dunno, the article and quoted material doesn't seem to dispute whether those opposed were Conservative Democrats or not.

In NC, for example, one of the states on pre-clearance under the VRA, the legislature was controlled by the Democrats during all of your decades. only 16 of 57 years has a Republican been Governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies