Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 12:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

The entire purpose of the Reedy Creek district was so that Disney could build a futuristic housing community on the land. They never did. Instead, they built Epcot. It's long past time that Disney pays "their fair share" of taxes.
I remember the original concept of Epcot which it never became but is there a link that shows this was its sole purpose as you state?

Old 04-23-2022, 12:21 PM

7,385 posts, read 3,539,248 times
and democrats wont raise taxes with all their promises to get votes.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:22 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I've heard this talking point of Disney "create their own nuclear power plant without state approval" and I wonder where it comes from to be so often repeated. It is completely false and the ultimate strawman fallacy. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses and regulates civilian use of nuclear energy to protect public health and safety and the environment. Disney could not build one because they are in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Now mind you, I think it would be a great thing if Disney DID power itself with nuclear energy since it is a great, pollution free source of power and the U.S. needs more such things.

See above about the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

The Reedy Creek Improvement District does not set rules on water quality and use, nor does any city or county in Florida. Those standards are set by state and federal statutes.

I'm well aware Disney wouldn't unilaterally get to decide to build a nuclear reactor.

Do we know how often Disney gets inspected for water quality, or for the operations of it's private water/sewer system?

These are all the points to discuss, and I've enjoyed being enlightened by several of your posts on this topic.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:25 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I'm trying to figure out the reason to change the discussion. Ergo, it doesn't help at all.
Ask these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Remember when Democrats used to hate big, powerful, non tax paying corporations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
……and most of them were Democrats.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:26 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
So, which is it? Your subject line states Desantis just raised property taxes on a million Floridians Then you say "residents of Orange and Osceola counties, where Walt Disney World is located, could become responsible for the district's liabilities of between $1 billion and $2 billion".

Gotta love these scare tactics Dems are so quick in throwing out.
Not to mention the new mantra from leftist Democrats "corporations should not have to pay taxes."

The left are insane.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

Yet they keep on doing it.
Well, you know what they say, you can't fix stupid.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:28 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I've heard this talking point of Disney "create their own nuclear power plant without state approval" and I wonder where it comes from to be so often repeated. It is completely false and the ultimate strawman fallacy. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission licenses and regulates civilian use of nuclear energy to protect public health and safety and the environment. Disney could not build one because they are in the Reedy Creek Improvement District. Now mind you, I think it would be a great thing if Disney DID power itself with nuclear energy since it is a great, pollution free source of power and the U.S. needs more such things.
While this certainly isn't an argument that I've centered on, my understanding of many of the arguments is that Disney/Rock Creek are merely authorized to build a nuclear power plant. State approval is already inherent in such a statement as such approval would have come with the legislation that created Rock Creek.

Sure, Disney/Rock Creek couldn't build such a plant without the approval and oversight of the NRC, etc., but they still start from a better position on this front than the typical government organization in FL does I wager

Of course--and more of a historical point--the NRC wasn't a thing when the Rock Creek district was authorized.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
DeSantis already has a history of raising taxes. No surprise he did it again.

In 2021 DeSantis raised taxes in the amount of $1 billion on all Floridians for online purchases. DeSantis used this tax money so businesses don't have to pay as much money into the unemployment compensation pool.
So now DeSantis has raised taxes on Floridians a 2nd time in 20
22 by having local taxpayer's cover Disney's $1 billion dept plus $20+ million annual budget.

DeSantis loves to raise taxes on people to cover the expenses for businesses. He did in in 2021 and again in 2022. See below for the 2021 tax increase.

https://www.news4jax.com/money/2021/...sales-tax-law/

Ready to pay more? DeSantis signs online sales tax law. Tax on Florida consumers will allow tax cut for businesses

Gov. Ron DeSantis late Monday signed into law a plan to require out-of-state online retailers to collect sales taxes on purchases made by Floridians, with the estimated $1 billion a year in revenue going to curb a pair of taxes on Florida businesses.

Excuse, but where does the law say residents will be making up any difference VS Disney paying more themselves?

I thought higher taxes on corporations were exactly what you guys wanted....?

DeSantis does just that and you still complain.

Why do Democrats have to lie about everything to try to make their point?!

Old 04-23-2022, 12:37 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I have personally been involved in a small scale example of what Disney is doing. My POA was run by the developer when I first moved in and hardly had any money because the developer was just making up any shortfalls rather than paying their dues on unimproved lots they owned. We had a minor controversy with some BLM flags and the developer decided to turn the board over to us and had to start paying their annual dues and low and behold we suddenly had a budget to work with.
It's called HOA turnover or Community turnover. https://condomanagerusa.com/hoa-turn...e%20community.

Happens to very nearly every condo development at some time after the project is completed. Been through it a couple of times myself. Where it can get sticky is when the developer (or individuals friendly to the developer) holds enough juice on the board to push through projects or improvements that should have been made (and paid for) by the developer prior to turnover. After turnover the beholden HOA board can and will vote for the projects and the expenditures will be financed by the entire association and its members. Big money savings for the developer.

I've been through one where the developer got the limit on the number of rentals bumped up in the by-laws to make the property more attractive to investment speculators but severely impacted private parties ability to secure a mortgage loan because the rental/investment vs. owner occupied ratio was too high for the bank to issue a mortgage

Old 04-23-2022, 12:40 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,775,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
The longer DeSantis is in power the more chance of a storm brewing. Once it does the corrupt DeSantis will be going down.

Did you actually say "the more chance of a storm brewing"? The entire country is (and has been) in a sh*tstorm so why even say such a thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies