Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 10:15 PM

8,647 posts, read 10,177,793 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't doubt if this alleged "leak" was pushed out from the Left to get their based riled up to vote, another reason to delegitimize the SC, and as a distraction from the mess this administration has created. Sounds like something right up their alley.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No, we aren’t. You just need to get your STATE legislatures to pass the same laws allowing those things. I have no issue with pro-choice or Same Sex Marriage, I just want it in the jurisdiction where it belongs - in the states.
LOL, dream on!! I can't see state Republican legislators in Oklahoma doing any of that in a million years. They would say they would get voted out of office for doing any of that.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:18 PM

34,099 posts, read 17,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Irrelevant.

Well, maybe a little horror over the reminder that they have, in fact, been advocating murder. But that will make them scream all the louder against it. And they will never admit that that is what they now have to face. Instead, they will scream in rage at the people who made them face it, as though THOSE were the ones doing a bad thing.
Rule of Law 1, Their Screams 0 for those scoring at home.

32,127 posts, read 15,124,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The root of the decision is a right to privacy. All sorts of other rulings could be overturned with the logic in this opinion.
Well that's what I'm asking. What part of the constitution would they base their decision on to overturn it.

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I'll believe it when it happens. We saw all kinds of "leaks" about Trump that proved false..or grossly misreprented..so I'm willing to wait and see what this is all about. It may end up being a nothing burger. The bigger issue is who would leak a SCOTUS document and what should we do to them?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:20 PM

34,099 posts, read 17,163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well that's what I'm asking. What part of the constitution would they base their decision on to overturn it.
You have it backwards. Roe had NO Constitutional basis. That meant to overturn one simply needed to affirm that fact, as Alito did in this draft of the 2022 ruling.

Anything NOT in the Constitution has no backing by the Constitution.

Even pro abortion lawyers long ago realized Roe was built on quicksand in its attempts to read into the Constitution things that were never, ever even mentioned in it once.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:23 PM

609 posts, read 304,578 times
This is an amazing day. You lose, baby-killers.

I wasn't sure I'd ever see the day. The 50-year originalist legal movement is nearly complete. One of the greatest moments in American history.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:24 PM

18,740 posts, read 7,638,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I wouldn't doubt if this alleged "leak" was pushed out from the Left as an excuse to get more people riled up to vote for the Left, another reason to delegitimize the SC, and as a distraction from the mess this administration has created.
I'd be very surprised if it were anything else.

The Democrats knew that the Biden administration was such a disaster that they would lose the House and Senate in 2022, and the Presidency in 2024. I don't know what they did to get some Supreme Court Justice's clerk or whomever, to steal the internal memo (if that's what it was) and deliberately publish it. It was no more and no less than total war against the Republicans - a scorched-earth policy that hasn't been seen since Hitler retreated from the Soviet Union in 1943-1945.

I only wonder why they bothered. If this was an actual first-draft Opinion, then it means that the vote has already been taken and certified. It would have been published soon, possibly within a few months or even weeks. What advantage did the Democrats gain by moving the "publication" date up a little?

Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 PM

21,990 posts, read 15,746,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
What’s insane to me is liberals feel like it should be legal to come stick a dagger through your kids heart up to about the age of a year old post birth and have it be legal to now we have the Supreme Court throwing back the legalization of any and all abortions to the states. Which is what I agree with. Abortion will still be legal for the most part, so don’t freak out too much you left whack jobs. However common sense needed to prevail. In liberal states, you can get an abortion literally like the same day the baby would have been naturally delivered. It’s ridiculous. It’s murder. If you haven’t made up your mind whether you’re keeping the child or not by the first three months, you’re keeping the child…or you’re murdering it.

That said, It will definitely be interesting going forward to see how this all plays out. My personal opinion is, that we’re in for some kind of divide of this country based on more conservative values versus liberal mental illness. And this is just a step in that direction.
I've thought the country is going to split for a long time. Will this be the catalyst? Maybe the beginning of the catalyst. If companies decide not to locate in restrictive states, and those states become progressively poorer, will it lead to resentment and permanent divide? Probably, but it will have been a long time coming. Philosophically, the country vehemently disagrees with one another, everything from education, taxes, healthcare and abortion. Blue states will go their own way, just don't ask blue states to pay for the result specifically chosen by red states because this will definitely have a steep price tag.

Old 05-02-2022, 10:25 PM

14,816 posts, read 8,145,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I guess only 1 "news" outlet can be first, and one poster first to start a thread.

Me, I can wait for the facts. Which could include Alito wrote the dissent. Especially since this article, from a "news" outlet that has no compunction in producing speculation (will vote).

I heard that Politico was actually the one that broke the story first.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...inion-00029473
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies