Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2022, 12:13 PM

14,330 posts, read 4,665,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Your argument is with him then…not me.
You said you never met an open border globalist, so I referred you to normstad. Now you do.

You are welcome though

Old 05-23-2022, 12:17 PM

43,704 posts, read 18,731,073 times
Quote:
First, I don’t agree with your premise, but let’s assume that you are correct. And after a couple of generations, those immigrants’ kids are going to act, behave, be educated, have income levels that are nearly identical to those of any other American. They aren’t going to keep having the number of kids consistent with their grandparents generations.
We don't have that now and illegals have been swarming into this country for decades.
Is this a new turn of events that they will be as educated and wealthy as Americans ? Because the past says, no they won't.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:19 PM

1,719 posts, read 743,081 times
Quote:
Well, two things…(1) you are correct border states bear a disproportionate share of the costs associated with immigration (at least initially). I think that just be a good role role for the Federal government to step in with some funding issues. (2) Texas is also a an economic giant, fast growing etc….part of that reason (not the only one, and not the primary one) is no doubt the supply of cheap labor that come via immigration. So you get the benefits and the costs.
No offense, but unless you live in a border state with a large illegal population, you don't know what it's like.

I will repeat, problems associated with illegal migration in the Southwest have worsened, not improved, over decades and multiple generations. Benefits are definitely not outweighing costs.

I think you mean well, but again, you don't know what it's like to live near the border under present mass illegal migration.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:26 PM

52,443 posts, read 52,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
No offense, but unless you live in a border state with a large illegal population, you don't know what it's like.

I will repeat, problems associated with illegal migration in the Southwest have worsened, not improved, over decades and multiple generations. Benefits are definitely not outweighing costs.

I think you mean well, but again, you don't know what it's like to live near the border under present mass illegal migration.
Many illegals get ahold of fake docs and take jobs that used to be largely held by whites and blacks. Residential construction and some commercial as well.

You'd be hard pressed to go to a jobsite and not hear Spanish being spoken. These jobs like dry wall and flooring contractors used to be solid middle class jobs. Due to a large influx of Hispanics the salaries got reduced and it's largely Spanish speaking people doing those once good paying solidly middle class jobs.

I'm not a construction worker but my job puts me in project job sites. Just like residential, commercial projects you'd be hard pressed to not find people speaking Spanish on the site.

This they only take the jobs that Americans won't do is horsecrap, I know from 30 plus years of first hand experience.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:51 PM

10,796 posts, read 3,625,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Is Oldglory an open border globalists?

When someone like normstad refuses to acknowledge the difference between illegal and legal immigration, then yes, he is an open border globalist
When did I advocate for open borders? That's just silly. I have called for a re-evaluation of that is considered "illegal and legal immigration". You chose not to get into that discussion.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:02 PM

14,330 posts, read 4,665,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
When did I advocate for open borders? That's just silly. I have called for a re-evaluation of that is considered "illegal and legal immigration". You chose not to get into that discussion.
So are you against illegal immigration or not? It’s YES or NO

I am not asking you for your opinion about our current immigration law.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:03 PM

1,719 posts, read 743,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post

WVNomad, you might be interested in reading my experience living in a place with heavy illegal migration. My post doesn't cover all aspects of this problem, such as language, services, and the school nightmare, but it's a fair indication of how an average border state person can be affected.

Sorry, can anyone help me? I'm not able to transfer my post to this location. It's post #31 under the "Undocumented migrants are frustrated with Biden on reforms as Build Back Better stalls" thread.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:22 PM

22,571 posts, read 12,137,237 times
Quote:
I read it, I looked at each of your links. I read it, and even quoted from it. FAIR is highly prejudiced in its mission statement. In fact, it partially states as its object is ".....FAIR seeks to reduce overall immigration to a more normal level." It never says what it thinks is "normal level" but the key word is "reduce".

Immigration is a net positive in countries that are not growing their populations naturally. So, part of the answer against all the undocumented aliens is to increase immigration, re-evaluate asylum restrictions, and attempt to help countries like Guatemala to address the reason citizens are leaving.

There is no one magic bullet, but FAIR is not even trying to be part of a realistic answer. They want less foreigners, period.
Give it a rest, Norm. You're not a US citizen. Heck, you aren't even wintering here anymore. Worry about Canada and new winter home, Mexico.

The US allows into this country, on an annual basis, 1 million legal immigrants plus countless numbers of illegals. It's long past time to seriously reduce those numbers. We don't have unlimited potable water. Nor do we have unlimited buildable land. Since you are obsessed with the US, then you clearly must be aware of the severe water shortages being experienced by those areas that depend on Lake Mead.

So, yes, FAIR has the right idea. They aren't saying shut the door. Instead, they are saying "Keep it open but reduce the annual numbers. Plus put an end to illegal immigration."

Why do countries have to keep growing their populations? How many are too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? How would you like it if Canada grew to that size?

Old 05-23-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Toronto is just as bad as Florida, or has been. At least it recognizes the need for green spaces, even if mostly it is just lip service. Florida wants to put a new turnpike through some of the more sensitive parts. "Draining the swamp" is still a reality as a mind set.

Fact of the matter is Canada accepts MORE refugees in real numbers, and has made a policy to even increase those numbers, than the USA does. If all was equal, Canada should only be accepting 10% the numbers the USA does. Why would that be?
Per the bolded --- That's why no one should take you seriously. You talk out of both sides of your mouth.

On one hand, you're demanding that the US keep all the illegals plus encourage more to come here. Also, you want to increase legal immigration. Then OTOH you are whining about the growth in Toronto and fretting over a proposed turnpike in FL.

You can't have it both ways. BTW, once again how many people in Canada or the US will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
In the name of full disclosure, the Federation for American Immigration Reform ((the organization referenced above) is classified by The Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group with close ties to white supremacist groups.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...gration_Reform)
Shocking that you would be using this a valid reference to support your views.
The SPLC? LOL! They've long since stopped being a group to be admired. Back in the days of the fight for civil rights, they did good work. Now, they are smearing some decent groups just because they don't agree with their stances.

The only ties FAIR and some other groups have that were questionable was to Dr. John Tanton. He gave groups like FAIR seed money but also stipulated that they didn't have to agree with his beliefs.

Shocking that you would take the SPLC seriously these days.

splcexposed.com – splcexposed.com

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2022301001/

Don't like those links? Do your own research. The above links are only a small sampling of what is out there regarding the SPLC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies