Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 01:38 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,632,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
As shown, the situations as to where he did lay a wreath were different. You are being intellectually dishonest.
At least he gave a two second blurb of the hate crime shooting at that church in California. No wreath though

Quote:
I think a shoot-out among folks out in public is a lot different than a lone gunman targeting individuals due to their race. The number of those killed is vastly different, too. That means the response by high officials of the state and federal government should be different.

You are comparing apples and oranges to try to make an inaccurate conclusion. You missed on this one.
We have mass shootings in Chicago every weekend. This one happened to have occurred downtown which gives it more attention. And no I don't think that the response of high officials of state and federal government shouldn't be different because the motives were different. Violence is violence and needs to be addressed regardless of the motive and regardless where it occurs. Biden sent a "strike force" and resources last summer to supposedly address the violence here. So what has this strike force done to curb crime?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rKMQA7lJtI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 01:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,091 times
Sounds like a Typical Day at the Mall in Chicago... !

Obviously 2 Black Gangs had a beef,...and were working it out....

What's the problem ???

Old 05-20-2022, 01:51 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
We have mass shootings in Chicago every weekend. This one happened to have occurred downtown which gives it more attention. And no I don't think that the response of high officials of state and federal government shouldn't be different because the motives were different. Violence is violence and needs to be addressed regardless of the motive and regardless where it occurs.
No, if what you said were true there would be no laws against hate crimes. Violence is not violence. I can protect myself much more easily by keeping away from venues where youths are 'wilding' than I can protect myself from a lone gunman out to shoot folks because they look like me. The latter situation is much more unsettling and engenders an entirely different response.

Two dead in a Chicago shootout is not the same as 10 shot dead on purpose in Buffalo because of their race. You should stop trying to equate the two.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No, if what you said were true there would be no laws against hate crimes. Violence is not violence. I can protect myself much more easily by keeping away from venues where youths are 'wilding' than I can protect myself from a lone gunman out to shoot folks because they look like me. The latter situation is much more unsettling and engenders an entirely different response.
Two dead in a Chicago shootout is not the same as 10 shot dead on purpose in Buffalo because of their race. You should stop trying to equate the two.
Violence is violence. The sentencing laws may vary if a crime is 1st degree or 2nd degree murder or if it's a hate crime, but they all need to be addressed.

You would need to protect yourself from people "who look like you" much more often in a slew of neighborhoods in Chicago than the POS psycho lone gunman who shot 8 Blacks (and 2 Whites) in that New York grocery store. It's the five thousand pound elephant in the room. Black on Black crime is the greatest threat to Black communities and more and more that violence is spilling over into other communities.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:10 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
You would need to protect yourself from people "who look like you" much more often in a slew of neighborhoods in Chicago than the POS psycho lone gunman who shot 8 Blacks (and 2 Whites) in that New York grocery store.
That's why the Buffalo shooting stands out so much. How can one protect his or herself from a nut?

If you think the Chicago shooting in any way was comparable to what happened in Buffalo I think you are fooling yourself. You're just making political hay out of too violent episodes.

You missed on this one.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:18 PM

6,672 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
That's why the Buffalo shooting stands out so much. How can one protect his or herself from a nut?

If you think the Chicago shooting in any way was comparable to what happened in Buffalo I think you are fooling yourself. You're just making political hay out of too violent episodes.

You missed on this one.
I am tending to agree on this level, they are apples and oranges if only due to motivation.

Seems Waukesha is a better comparison at minimum. Running over white people at a parade.

Heck even the rash of anti-Asian attacks, getting beaten just because of how they look.

You can't defend against such random attacks in places you'd think are safe.

One happens pretty regularly and the other does not.
But they are both bad obviously and should be addressed.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:28 PM

[quote=Manigault;63470403]That's why the Buffalo shooting stands out so much. How can one protect his or herself from a nut?[quote]

How can you or I protect ourselves from being robbed at gunpoint or killed just walking down the street? That happens every day here in Chi? The motive may be different but the end result is the same.

Or how can we protect ourselves from a nut who shoots up a subway? Or from a nut walking into a church and shooting anyone who was Taiwanese? Or how can we protect ourselves from a nut who drove an SUV through a Christmas parade crowd killing 6 and injuring dozens more? All are acts of violence that needs to be condemned and addressed. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:

You missed on this one.
I never said that the two incidents are "comparable". I said that they need to be addressed by our political leaders as they are acts of despicable violence. One is not more important than the other, but then again its seems as if you and probably most of our elected officials feel that one is more important. That's why urban violence will never be curbed.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
guns don't kill people; people do... never forget that and always place full blame on the shooter regardless of race, gender, political affiliation, or status.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
It is unfortunately the usual suspects. They make up about 30% of the city’s population, but account for nearly all of these crimes making headlines.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:41 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,091 times
Quote:

That's a good point (or is it) ???

The Shooter in Buffalo is a nut case...the shooter in Chicago, maybe not.

The Shooter in Buffalo had a purpose (rid the earth of so-called 'bad people')

The Shooter in Chicago, had no purpose other than taking care of 'bidness' and fleeing the scene.

The Shooter in Buffalo knew 'Why he was shooting his targets'...the Shooter in Chicago (literally didn't care).

Who's the Worse Criminal of the Two ???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies