Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 11:29 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Let's see if the national mainstream media outlets pick this up. More importantly let's see if Biden addresses this tragedy or visits Chicago as he visited the mass shooting in New York.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shoo...tate/11872407/
This one didn't seem to make too much headlines. It is another hate crime....

https://youtu.be/pn7mOVt4Ug4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 11:31 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinus View Post
The truth is that it this reflects an uncomfortable truth in our society.

The shooting happened in Chicago, Americans thing “it’s Chicago, and there are minorities, of course it happens.” In our country, the ugly truth is that it’s to be expected in these areas.

Poverty exasperated by drugs and gangs. It perpetuates a cycle of violence because nobody really cares until it hits middle America.

So when it happens in a supermarket, it’s a big deal because it’s not a place you expect.

I wanna point out another fundamental difference, the killing in OP’s article is an altercation. Random act of crime.

While the Buffalo shooting, was premeditated and ideologically driven. While the Chicago incident was random and it was based on altercation that escalated into tragedy, the Buffalo shooting was specifically carried out with the intention of taking as many lives as possible. They weren’t just innocent bystanders that caught strays, they WERE the targets.

In Chicago, you witnessed the shooting and some people caught strays. In Buffalo, you were the unwilling participant as the target.

And it wasn’t everyone, just specific people the shooter viewed as the enemy.

The premise of the thread is to trivialize the victims in Buffalo and dunk on black people.
Wrong. It's "dunking" on this administration and the media.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:32 AM

6,672 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:

The premise of the thread is to trivialize the victims in Buffalo and dunk on black people.
I don't think that is right.

I think most of the sentiment of the thread is why the disparity in coverage and begs the question if there is some political agenda behind it. I think that is fair to ask.

Nobody is trivializing or 'supporting' the actions of that white boi in buffalo.
We all agree it is horrible.

What is being trivialized is people's concern the incident is being 'used' to sow more division.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Once upon a time, if you did something like this in Chicago, in nicer, touristy areas....the police would come down so hard on the gangs involved that they'd occasionally even kill their own members that brought that much heat.

Wonder what they'll do this time.

Also wonder how many of the shooters were already out on bail for violent offenses.
Back in the late 70’s, I lived a few blocks from the intersection of Chicago Ave and State Street. Back then, this intersection used to attract the spillover from Cabrini Green during the late evening- early morning hours. Residents avoided it after sundown because of trouble.

As you know, Cabrini Green and it’s residents are long gone. Nonetheless, young black males arrive by subway or car and fights are common. There’s a reason why there are pod cameras and foot patrols in the area. This time, someone brought a gun to the fight.

What has changed over the years is the number of bars in the area that don’t open will 10 PM with 4-5 AM licenses. Some of these bars attract mostly black patrons.

10:40 is a tad early for fights to break out in this area. Then again, the few videos that have thus far been made available show males, mostly teens, engaging in the violence.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:38 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Let's see if the national mainstream media outlets pick this up. More importantly let's see if Biden addresses this tragedy or visits Chicago as he visited the mass shooting in New York.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shoo...tate/11872407/
No way will it be covered where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area by the "news" media here. But in the event it ever was, the media would do their propaganda/rhetoric maneuver by interviewing 50 or so individuals out on the street and then choosing only about 3 of those interviews which best fits their narrative/agenda to air for the story.

Last edited by FC76-81; 05-20-2022 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-20-2022, 11:39 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Eventually people will get fed up with this and they will demand very tough gun laws, even the point of going door to door, searching and confiscating...Problem is, lots of people will not allow their homes to be searched, (even when safety/security are at risk).

Ultimately, going door to door would be the only effective way to stop this, registration or new gun laws will have no impact, because its too late for those things, far too many unknown guns already out there.

If door to door confiscations were even attempted, lots of families would not see their family members returning home that day!
No, I think it will go in the other direction. Chicago was crime ridden when I was a kid, decades ago, across the lake from it. Law enforcement will not come in our house without a warrant, and not search me or my vehicle.

You do understand that the generous attitude toward illegal aliens is biting more than Chicago in the butt? Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is where its heading though, how many more elementary schools do you think society will tolerate being shot up?

Door to door searches and confiscations WILL happen at some point...and yes, that will lead to a blood bath, and maybe that is intentional. I dont think all these shootings are coincidental, i think many were planned and carried out for specific reasons.

The stage we are at right now...getting society to the point of no longer tolerating these shootings, the more that happen and the more that result in children being victims makes this move faster.
Schools will become outdated. Between homeschooling and online school and the rise in crime, kids will be at home, not in the schools. That is something I do see happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
This was a black-on-black crime, so it doesn't matter to creepy demented Biden. The optics just aren't there if he can't pin it on a white supremacist.

Mayor Beetlejuice won't do a thing and it will barely get a mention on the lame-stream media. Unless they can play the race card, it's isn't worth their time.
Most are too young to really remember Biden and his distaste for the black population. His answer would probably be more abortion clinics in the area.

Quote:
Yup I was a teenager in the later 80s and I remember that crimewave well. As you said it was mostly confined to inner city neighborhoods not the lakeshore/downtown tourist zones that you see happening now. I used to go downtown bar and club hopping and going to restaurants at least twice a month before 2020. Since the riots of that summer, I can count the number of times I went downtown on one hand. I have no desire to anymore. Part of that is safety concern (can't legally conceal carry going to a bar or club), and part of it is I don't want to spend my money in the city to prop up an a$$hat mayor.
Was Chicago ever that safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Over 60% of guns used in a crime in Chicago come from out of state dealers, now there is the new problem with ghost guns adding to the problem. When is the amount of guns in circulation too many, we now have almost 400 million guns in the US.
It is never too many until we are living in a Utopia. If we attempt to control sales, they will be coming from out-of-the-country. Securing the borders would go a long way to slowing some of this violence, but liberals don't want that, so they'll have to live with what they have in Chicago.

Quote:
So the President shouldn't speak on this because it wasn't random or racially motivated? How many innocent bystanders get shot by these POS gangbangers every day? Too many.
Depopulation? Biden is a racist, and he is braindead anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The problem, with street gang violence is the culture requires retribution - an eye for an eye.

Until we can upset that mentality, break the chain, it will continue and continue. Like watching a tennis match. Back and forth and back and forth, with the ball never actually being dropped.

Very illuminating book, "Long Way Down", that you can read in one sitting, so clearly states this case - young men are compelled, by their street gangs, and by their ancestors, to avenge killings/shootings in kind.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Down.../dp/1481438255
From the beginning of time, an "eye for an eye" has existed. If we could keep them from killing the innocent, I would support letting them kill one another off, and if they were a known gang member, no investigation, just take out the trash!

I remember the news in the 1960s coming across the lake to our TV, and the place was not safe then, much like Detroit. That people are surprised that these dangerous areas grows is amazing to me. Think of any of the cities with crime, and more and more of the city gets taken over by it. Ever heard of "white flight", and anymore with the illegal aliens in some places, it the flight of all legal citizens away from the 3rd world brought to us by lack of enforcement of immigration laws.

Does Illinoise encourage illegal aliens to come into the state allowing them benefits traditionally only available to citizens? Also, bringing in this less educated and controllable (think report to immigration authorities) workers takes jobs from those people who traditionally did these jobs, and poverty breeds crime in these inner cities.

Nope, guns will not be confiscated in the lifetime of anyone reading this. The government has already overstepped with the Covid crap, so people are on alert. If the local store has a sale of 5% off of firearms, get there early!

Old 05-20-2022, 11:43 AM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
The truth is that it this reflects an uncomfortable truth in our society.

The shooting happened in Chicago, Americans thing “it’s Chicago, and there are minorities, of course it happens.” In our country, the ugly truth is that it’s to be expected in these areas.

Poverty exasperated by drugs and gangs. It perpetuates a cycle of violence because nobody really cares until it hits middle America.

So when it happens in a supermarket, it’s a big deal because it’s not a place you expect.

I wanna point out another fundamental difference, the killing in OP’s article is an altercation. Random act of crime.

While the Buffalo shooting, was premeditated and ideologically driven. While the Chicago incident was random and it was based on altercation that escalated into tragedy, the Buffalo shooting was specifically carried out with the intention of taking as many lives as possible. They weren’t just innocent bystanders that caught strays, they WERE the targets.

In Chicago, you witnessed the shooting and some people caught strays. In Buffalo, you were the unwilling participant as the target.

And it wasn’t everyone, just specific people the shooter viewed as the enemy.

The Buffalo shooter is a sociopath who had a mental health evaluation by New York state police after making a school shooting threat last year. There's nothing normal about this kid. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the supermarket was a secondary target chosen because he couldn't get at his classmates.

The mass shootings in Chicago happen almost every weekend and completely out of control. Those involved are likely celebrated for "keeping it street." But Chicago is hardly the only city where such insanity is found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdSpb7my96U

Old 05-20-2022, 11:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Yes typically that's what leaders of countries do when there is a mass tragedy. They address them.

I didn't vote for him in 2020 so why would I vote for him now? That's not the point. He is the president and should address these mass shootings but for some reason he picks and chooses which ones he addresses and which ones he seems to ignore.
Most other countries do not have serious hundreds of mass shootings every single year.

It would be necessary for every POTUS to hold a daily press conference to acknowledge and condemn the specifics of the prior day’s mass shooting events.

Every Admin cherry picks which mass shootings to address or not. Sensational mass shootings where the victims were random , who may or may not have been targeted due to race or religion or profession or something else, are more likely to receive a nod, than incidents like this one, last night, where there is a connection between the shooter and victims and the street brawl.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:50 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Don't you wish Chicago could be as nice as it was like when the Blues Brothers were there?

Old 05-20-2022, 11:57 AM

6,672 posts, read 2,977,633 times
Quote:
There’s already division. It is evident by the shooter. The division was sowed by TV pundits pushing replacement theory.
While I am not a fan either of the replacement theory thing being splashed around, there may be evidence, other than just being insane, that he had other motivations.

such as revenge for Waukesha.

Names of Waukesha Parade victims written on Buffalo gunman’s rifle: Report

Waukesha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies