Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.88%
No 254 50.40%
Unsure 49 9.72%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 06:41 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,757,056 times

Advertisements

ISW Update 5/5/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...ent-may-5-2023

Quote:
May 5, 2023 - Press ISW

The Russian Ministry of Defense (MoD) appears to have deprioritized the Bakhmut offensive in favor of preparing to defend against an anticipated Ukrainian counteroffensive, putting the Wagner Group and Wagner financier Yevgeny Prigozhin in a potentially difficult position. Prigozhin released a series of videos on May 4 and 5 announcing that Wagner will withdraw from Bakhmut on May 10 unless Wagner receives necessary supplies and launched particularly acerbic and emotional attacks against Chief of the Russian General Staff Army General Valery Gerasimov, Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu, and the Russian MoD establishment writ large. Prigozhin’s palpable desperation in the videos, one of which shows the corpses of recently deceased Wagner fighters, marks a significant rhetorical inflection in his continued pleas for increased Russian MoD support for Wagner in Bakhmut. His visible and visceral anger suggests that the Russian MoD has likely deprioritized Bakhmut and shifted operational focus elsewhere in the theater in ways that may seriously compromise Wagner’s ability to operate effectively. Wagner has not ceased efforts to completely capture Bakhmut despite reduced access to ammunition and other necessary supplies, however. Prigozhin has shown no willingness to switch to the defensive within the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 07:43 PM

8,986 posts, read 11,866,965 times
I think it was Math Guy who said he can tell how the war is going by watching Russian bots going nuts. LOL

Old 05-05-2023, 08:47 PM

26,901 posts, read 22,771,535 times
OK, more news are coming in, and by the sound of it, it was this kind of drone (Mugin 5) that was used in attack on Kremlin.

So a bit more sophisticated than I initially thought, with flight time over seven hours, the same kind that was already used before.

https://gagadget.com/en/139367-china...ery-in-russia/

Old 05-05-2023, 08:55 PM

8,216 posts, read 3,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Russia's Black Sea fleet is irreplaceable. Turkey won't let more warships in and once a Russian vessel is sunk, well.....
Without the fleet Crimea would be much more vulnerable. I don't know how Ukraine could possibly pull it off, but the major ships in that fleet should be sunk.
Should be? How about you go there, Rambo, and get it done. Lol.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:25 PM

8,986 posts, read 11,866,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Russia is getting very nervous! They are trying different tactics and probably making a story in case something doesn't work out during this offensive. Russia has moved a lot of ships from the Black sea to safety. Prigozhyn keeps staying he will pull back troops on May 10, right when talks of an offensive are happening? It's probably a trick to try to catch Ukraine off guard.

It's happening looks like! They are anxious about the counter offensive and trying to confuse with all this Prigozhyn talk and movement of forces.
Russian victory day is on May, 9th. This is a very important day for them.

Putin is desperate for some kind of victory by that day. Taking Bakhmut would qualify as a victory for his domestic audience.

If he can't show some victory, he can at least use the occasion to rally more support for the war. Creating a false flag event and blaming the USA or Ukraine for it would do the trick.

As I have said many times before, Russians can not be trusted. I would not trust the Wagner bossman.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:48 PM
bu2

24,202 posts, read 15,055,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm sure the East Germans fondly recall the Trabants they got to drive while their West German counterparts had to make do with Volkswagens and Audis. Ah, for those glorious days under Moscow's enlightened leadership.

"USSR welfare..." - Moscow was a parasite feeding on East Europe, and they have it in living memory.
I remember the story going around during the Solidarity movement in Poland.

Polish soldier has gone through his indoctrination training and his trainer asks him, "There are two soldiers in front of you, an American and a Russian. Which one do you shoot?" The soldier enthusiastically says, "The Russian!" Trainer sends him back for two more weeks of indoctrination training.
Soldier comes back and is asked the same question. Again, he enthusiastically says, "The Russian!"
Frustrated trainer sends him back for two more weeks of indoctrination training.
Soldier comes back a third time and is asked the same question. Again, "The Russian!" The frustrated trainer says, "No. No. No. Ask ME the question." The soldier asks him who he would shoot. The trainer says, "The American!" A light comes on in the soldier's eyes. "Ah! You are saving the Russian for me!!!"

Old 05-06-2023, 04:46 AM

4,986 posts, read 2,758,211 times
update from the front..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBw1KIWWeyw

Old 05-06-2023, 06:55 AM

15,627 posts, read 9,306,018 times
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, or not. This is reminiscent of the Russian evacuation of Kherson last year.

Quote:
Russia Orders Partial Evacuation Near Ukraine Front Line

Russia, on Friday, May 5, ordered the evacuation of families with children and of the elderly from Russian-held frontline areas in southern Ukraine because of an 'increase in shelling from the Ukrainian side'.

"In the past few days, the enemy has stepped up shelling of settlements close to the front line," the Russian-installed head of the Zaporizhzhia region, Yevgeny Balitsky, wrote on social media.

"I have therefore made a decision to evacuate first of all children and parents, elderly people, disabled people and hospital patients," he wrote.

"There will be a temporary evacuation" from 18 places, he said, including the town of Energodar where the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is located.

The plant -- Europe's biggest -- has been held by Russia since the first day of the conflict and is now near the front line, causing international concern.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 3,860,305 times
Russia has been about saving men over holding what they consider unimportant territory at the moment. If Ukraine were to do this it would be considered a tactical retreat Russia does it they are running away with their hair on fire.

Old 05-06-2023, 07:06 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,644,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, or not. This is reminiscent of the Russian evacuation of Kherson last year.

This also removes eyes and ears that can report on Russian positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies